Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusing and we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates Skywards. Our award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and flydubai, as well as with our wide selection of partners. Enhance your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2017/2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:19 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Welcome to the 2019/2020 edition of Your Emirates Skywards Questions answered.

Our members are here to help answer any Skywards related questions and hopefully help you make the most out of your Skywards membership.

Here is is the link to our 2027/2018 thread Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Safe and Happy Travels

Saltire74

Last edited by Saltire74; Jun 17, 2020 at 9:37 pm Reason: Incorporating 2020
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:36 pm

I'll start things off -

Probably an obvious answer for many, but for a Y-J upgrade, do I need to pay any additional surcharge associated with a J ticket, or is miles the only required payment?

I have a rather extreme situation where the YQ in J for the one-way ticket that I need to fly is literally the same cost as a Flex ticket in Y, so if there is no further cash payable, it makes more sense to do the latter for a lower number of miles.

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
Probably an obvious answer for many, but for a Y-J upgrade, do I need to pay any additional surcharge associated with a J ticket, or is miles the only required payment?
It depends on the route. In most cases the answer is no, it's miles only. However, UK departures have to pay an extra £78 GBP (increasing to £84 in April) in Air Passenger Duty and I believe there are another one or two countries where some sort of charge is also applied.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ft101
It depends on the route. In most cases the answer is no, it's miles only. However, UK departures have to pay an extra £78 GBP (increasing to £84 in April) in Air Passenger Duty and I believe there are another one or two countries where some sort of charge is also applied.
Perfect - thanks. This is ex-DXB so I think my plan will work just fine.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
I searched the forum but couldn't find anything exactly on this (but if there's a thread I should go look at, please let me know!) - I was looking at an award flight from JFK-MXP on Aug 23 yesterday and availability was pretty open on the 23rd and a few days before and after for around 103k miles and $600 (I was toying with leaving on the 22nd or 24th, believe those days also had availability F). After putting together some other parts of my trip, I went back to book that flight today and not only is there no longer any F award availability on the 23rd, but the whole week before and week after, now only business is available in that entire window. While possible, it seems unlikely to me that all the JFK-MXP F award seats spread across that 1 week period were booked over the last 24 hours, so I guess my question is...is this something that happens often with Skywards? I'm not too familiar with the program, but does F availability get released and then rescinded? And if so does it get released again? Or am I just SOL on this one... Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by wjbesh
I searched the forum but couldn't find anything exactly on this (but if there's a thread I should go look at, please let me know!) - I was looking at an award flight from JFK-MXP on Aug 23 yesterday and availability was pretty open on the 23rd and a few days before and after for around 103k miles and $600 (I was toying with leaving on the 22nd or 24th, believe those days also had availability F). After putting together some other parts of my trip, I went back to book that flight today and not only is there no longer any F award availability on the 23rd, but the whole week before and week after, now only business is available in that entire window. While possible, it seems unlikely to me that all the JFK-MXP F award seats spread across that 1 week period were booked over the last 24 hours, so I guess my question is...is this something that happens often with Skywards? I'm not too familiar with the program, but does F availability get released and then rescinded? And if so does it get released again? Or am I just SOL on this one... Thanks for the help!
EK changes availability all the time - but just a couple data points: from what I've observed on a given day's flight, if F availability changes, such as even one revenue seat is sold, the award availability can be removed as well. Also, I do know that during August EK does tend to black out awards for entire weeks for European destinations. I'd just keep at it and see if it re-opens.

Or fly AA
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Metanoia
EK changes availability all the time - but just a couple data points: from what I've observed on a given day's flight, if F availability changes, such as even one revenue seat is sold, the award availability can be removed as well. Also, I do know that during August EK does tend to black out awards for entire weeks for European destinations. I'd just keep at it and see if it re-opens.

Or fly AA
Thanks, I'll keep at it and see if it opens up again. In the meantime, I did go ahead and book the AA direct as backup!
Metanoia likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:16 am

Skywards miles

How do I claim back my Emirates miles which are not credited to my skywards account since June 2018
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by NDana
How do I claim back my Emirates miles which are not credited to my skywards account since June 2018
You can't unfortunately, you only get 6 months to retro-claim :-

"Just log in to your Emirates Skywards account and fill in the details of your flight or stay. You can claim Miles up to six months after your flight or stay; as long as you were eligible to earn Miles and Starpoints at the time of the Eligible Flight."
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: Emirates
Skywards mile

I'm flying with Oman air from Manchester to Islamabad, I was wondering if I can earn Emirates Skywards miles with my ticket with Oman air?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
No, you cannot. Have you had a look at the Emirates website?

https://www.emirates.com/english/sky...-partners.aspx
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: Emirates
Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes I had a look but Oman air says that Emirates is their partner so I was confused. anyway appreciate your reply. cheers
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Khush
Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes I had a look but Oman air says that Emirates is their partner so I was confused. anyway appreciate your reply. cheers
That may mean they are baggage interlining partners. I'm quite interested in trying Oman from MAN. The only issue is that it's on overnight flight one way - where I can choose daytime flights with EK / QR.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:16 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
I think they used to be on the DXB - MCT route but with the alignment with FZ, I think that has been abolished now.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold/ Hilton Honors Diamond
saver upgrades

I'm gold, on a saver J ticket. Can I get a 1st upgrade before I get to the airport or is this only allowed at check in? (I have the miles). I've auto enabled but never get any joy with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.