Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by cheyru
he might b on Y saver so he still have to pay.
he repeatedly saying to the FA: I paid already CZK 3k (or whatever amount I cant remember exactly)
Seems silly as the upfare from Saver to Flex is likely the same or less than an extra legroom seat for even just one flight (this is the case ex CPT, extra legroom seat is R1500 or so, while Saver to Flex fare difference is usually around R400)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Seems silly as the upfare from Saver to Flex is likely the same or less than an extra legroom seat for even just one flight (this is the case ex CPT, extra legroom seat is R1500 or so, while Saver to Flex fare difference is usually around R400)
good point. Didnt even think of that 🤔
Then I might have overheard wrong.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:30 am

Upgrade availability shown when booking ticket online

Is this a new feature or has it been there for a while and I just realised it now?

Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by cheyru
Is this a new feature or has it been there for a while and I just realised it now?

It existed on the website though then kind of disappeared for a bit I think, hasn't been mentioned in a long time, first time I'm seeing it on mobile, looks good!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:11 pm

Emirates Miles

Hi, any suggestions on the best way to utilise Emirates miles. I see people booking Emirates using Alaska miles on first and spending only 85k miles and yet when I search it direct with Emirates it wants to charge an exorbitant amount of miles. Any clues?? Thanks a mill.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by emiratesflyer1
Hi, any suggestions on the best way to utilise Emirates miles. I see people booking Emirates using Alaska miles on first and spending only 85k miles and yet when I search it direct with Emirates it wants to charge an exorbitant amount of miles. Any clues?? Thanks a mill.
Emirates miles and Alaska miles are completely different programmes, and have different earn and burn rates.

If you have EK miles, then you are stuck with paying what the Emirates website shows.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig
So, I am posting this in the newbie section as it's something that I must admit I haven't encountered before... I hold a ticket in A class DUB-DXB[2-day stop]-Africa-DXB[2-day stop]-LHR. The first two sectors have already been flown and I am now left with the Africa-DXB-LHR portion of the ticket. Now, I am trying to change flights on the last sector and get on the DXB-STN flight instead (slightly futile reason in another thread...). The flight shows F4 A2, both when looking up DXB-STN as well as married segments Africa-DXB-STN. Plenty of availability in all other classes too. However, both the TA as wells as EK claim that when they try to make the change, the DXB-STN flight shows zeroed out in all classes. Weird.

A couple of questions for the experts:
1) Has anybody encountered this? Any suggestions on whether there is any workaround? Seems like an odd glitch rather than a married segments issue...
2) The only thing I am thinking is to try to make the change at DXB airport when landing after the Africa-DXB sector, in the hope that with only the DXB-LHR sector left in the booking the change would be easier. Of course availability might be gone by then. Does anybody think that an airport change in DXB might yield better results?
I wanted to report back on this. First of all, many thanks to skywardhunter who was helping me brainstorming possible reasons for the problem. In short:
  • Weirdly, nobody at EK was able to figure out why I was experiencing such availability issue. They were able to change my DXB-LHR portion of my partially flown trip to any other LHR flight, but whenever they tried to make a change to the STN flight it showed up as zeroed out in ALL classes and buckets. Same answers from both EK customer service and EK trade support (contacted by my corporate travel desk). A supervisor at EK concluded that it must have been some weird issue or glitch.
  • I decided to check again once I had flown the Africa-DXB sector. Surely enough, it then became possible to change to the STN flight.
  • By then availability in A class had zeroed out, so I decided to stay on my afternoon DXB-LHR flight. As much as I would have been intrigued to try the new product, I wasn't going to pay >1k more for it AND also lose a few hours of sleep.
So, nobody really found out why I was unable to do the change which is a little concerning. No big deal in this case as it was a frivolous reason, but I would have been of a different opinion if I really needed to get on that specific flight. Anyways, this means that I will try it out on my next DXB run; something to look forward to!
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:39 pm

Hi,
Looking for some advice here as Emirates are doing nothing to help me and I can't think of anything else I can do. Scenario: months ago I booked tickets for myself, my wife and two teenage kids to fly from the UK to Tehran via Dubai with Emirates. I chose Emirates as the flight times meant only 1hr 15 mins in Dubai (the less time spent in any airport the better) and the price for the economy seats was reasonable. One week ago Emirates emailed me to say that due to 'operational reasons' they are changing my second flight to a later one meaning we have to spend 7hrs 45 minutes in Dubai airport. Not a pleasant thought and it will cause much inconvenience when we arrive in Tehran. So I rang the helpdesk: no better flights (shorter layover) available. Any chance of upgrading us to business class so we can access the lounge in Dubai? No, we can't do that. Okay then, any chance of just giving us lounge access as a goodwill gesture so we have somewhere comfortable to spend your imposed 7hrs 45 minutes? No, we cant do that either. So what can you do, I asked. Nothing. They suggested I email a complaint to Emirates customer services via the online feedback form. I did so. I got an automated response to say that had been received and since then nothing. As a last option I phoned Emirates customer services in London earlier today. Yes, sure enough, they can do nothing either. The final nail for me was being told that I could expect to wait 30 working days for a response from customer services but I shouldn't expect anything as its in Emirates small print that they can impose these changes.
My thoughts are that Emirates have imposed a change which has made what should have been a reasonably stress free journey into one which my family are now dreading and they are unwilling to do anything about it. Anyone got any constructive suggestions or know of someone I should be speaking to whom I haven't yet? Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by 2slo
Hi,
Looking for some advice here as Emirates are doing nothing to help me and I can't think of anything else I can do. Scenario: months ago I booked tickets for myself, my wife and two teenage kids to fly from the UK to Tehran via Dubai with Emirates. I chose Emirates as the flight times meant only 1hr 15 mins in Dubai (the less time spent in any airport the better) and the price for the economy seats was reasonable. One week ago Emirates emailed me to say that due to 'operational reasons' they are changing my second flight to a later one meaning we have to spend 7hrs 45 minutes in Dubai airport. Not a pleasant thought and it will cause much inconvenience when we arrive in Tehran. So I rang the helpdesk: no better flights (shorter layover) available. Any chance of upgrading us to business class so we can access the lounge in Dubai? No, we can't do that. Okay then, any chance of just giving us lounge access as a goodwill gesture so we have somewhere comfortable to spend your imposed 7hrs 45 minutes? No, we cant do that either. So what can you do, I asked. Nothing. They suggested I email a complaint to Emirates customer services via the online feedback form. I did so. I got an automated response to say that had been received and since then nothing. As a last option I phoned Emirates customer services in London earlier today. Yes, sure enough, they can do nothing either. The final nail for me was being told that I could expect to wait 30 working days for a response from customer services but I shouldn't expect anything as its in Emirates small print that they can impose these changes.
My thoughts are that Emirates have imposed a change which has made what should have been a reasonably stress free journey into one which my family are now dreading and they are unwilling to do anything about it. Anyone got any constructive suggestions or know of someone I should be speaking to whom I haven't yet? Thanks.
I'm guessing they'd refund you if you asked and you could purchase a ticket from another airline if there is a preferable routing with someone else.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:17 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi,
When are you due to travel?

S
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I'm guessing they'd refund you if you asked and you could purchase a ticket from another airline if there is a preferable routing with someone else.
Thanks. That was an option but due to the fact that they gave me less than 2 weeks notice and I'd have to travel to a different airport to take alternative flights, thats not an option unfortunately
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74

When are you due to travel?

S
5 days time

Last edited by 2slo; Oct 6, 2018 at 2:54 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hi,
Anyone got any constructive suggestions or know of someone I should be speaking to whom I haven't yet? Thanks.
What time of day is the stopover? If it's during the day, leave the airport and go into town (taxis are very cheap). Have a leisurely meal and the 7 hour stopover will fly by.

If it's during the night, consider booking a room at the airside hotel. No need to leave the airport. Alternatively, you can pay for entry at some of the lounges at the airport (Marhaba lounge is one).
2slo likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:38 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
5 days time
This is a very murky area for me but EC261 compensation springs to mind. You are due to depart on an airline from the EU so should be covered. The fact that you have been given less than 14 days notice and are going to be delayed in arriving at your destination from what you originally booked in excess of whatever the ruling suggests should make EK liable for EC261 compensation payment (Euro 600 per pax). They will no doubt fight tooth and nail but according to a recent ruling, a delay in getting to final destination counts and not what the arrival time is in DXB.

Dare I say it.....Have a look on the BA forum. They have a substantial thread/s on EC261 claims. Will give you some ideas and guidance on how to take this forward through legal channels should EK play hardball.

S
2slo likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What time of day is the stopover? If it's during the day, leave the airport and go into town (taxis are very cheap). Have a leisurely meal and the 7 hour stopover will fly by.

If it's during the night, consider booking a room at the airside hotel. No need to leave the airport. Alternatively, you can pay for entry at some of the lounges at the airport (Marhaba lounge is one).
Thanks. I think that going into one of the lounges will be our only realistic option. I just feel that Emirates should have offered to cover the cost but its quite clear that they couldn't care less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.