Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Old Dec 28, 17, 1:59 pm
  #1  
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 12R/30L
Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,723
[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Hi All

Welcome to the EK Forum and the new Newbie Thread for 2018

If you are new to Flyertalk or flying with Emirates and have a question, then please feel free to post in this thread (No flaming allowed).

Please also have a look at the Emirates Forum Dashboard for a one-stop shop for all your needs.
Zol is offline  
Old Dec 29, 17, 10:47 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Hi,
I'm an experienced traveler, but mostly US. I'm flying Emirates for the first time next week to Bangkok via Dubai from Dulles. My husband has some health conditions and it's better for us to sit together, especially over such a long flight. Is there any way to avoid the Emirates seat charges for selecting seats early? (I joined the Emirates Skyward program, but as a new-to-Emirates traveler, it doesn't help.) The Medical form from Emirates implies a much greater severity of illness than he has--not to mention that time is tight over the New Year to get it completed by a doctor and back to them. Suggestions? Advice? I tried throwing myself on the mercy of the person on the phone, but to no avail.
Thanks!
janoldenburg is offline  
Old Jan 1, 18, 2:09 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Hi - a couple of real newbie questions which I hope are not too annoying.

I have a J flight to Brisbane from London coming up. The majority of flights are on a 380 but the second flight from Dubai is in a 777LR. Does this mean it will be the old style angled seats? Are they OK as I definitely wat to get some sleep on that flight?

A car is coming to collect me, but it’s about 70 miles to Gatwick - I assume I have to pay and ‘excess’? Do I pay the driver?
Bingowilly is offline  
Old Jan 1, 18, 2:24 pm
  #4  
Ambassador, Emirates
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LGW / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA EK
Posts: 2,732
Originally Posted by Bingowilly View Post
Hi - a couple of real newbie questions which I hope are not too annoying.

I have a J flight to Brisbane from London coming up. The majority of flights are on a 380 but the second flight from Dubai is in a 777LR. Does this mean it will be the old style angled seats? Are they OK as I definitely wat to get some sleep on that flight?

A car is coming to collect me, but itís about 70 miles to Gatwick - I assume I have to pay and Ďexcessí? Do I pay the driver?
Hi Bingowilly, welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the friendly EK forum!

To answer your questions: The J seats on the B77W are (with exception of the very latest airframes) slightly angled. I personally find them quite comfortable to sleep in as the angle is not sufficient to make you slide down. The A380 seats are fully flat.

As far as the chauffeur drive is concerned: will you be collected from a Greater London postcode? In that case the distance is unimportant as all those postcodes are included. If I remember correctly, the mileage limit outside those postcodes is a 70 mile radius. If you go over, you can pay the driver (cash or card I believe). I have never had that situation so I donít know the rate but it should be in the relevant section on the EK website. Also, the chauffeur drive company will most likely call you about 24 hours before your pickup to confirm the details and you can ask them at that time.

Enjoy the EK J experience!
Bingowilly likes this.

Last edited by thijsseh; Jan 1, 18 at 2:31 pm
thijsseh is offline  
Old Jan 1, 18, 2:53 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Thank you for the very fullsome answer thijsseh

We we live in rural Wiltshire, the sort of place where people still point at aeroplanes flying over. Despite urban spread it's still not a London post code I don’t think Useful to know the company is likely to call as we can be a bit difficult to find.
Bingowilly is offline  
Old Jan 1, 18, 8:57 pm
  #6  
Moderator, Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Where My Heart Is
Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Posts: 2,906
Originally Posted by Bingowilly View Post
Thank you for the very fullsome answer thijsseh

We we live in rural Wiltshire, the sort of place where people still point at aeroplanes flying over. Despite urban spread it's still not a London post code I donít think Useful to know the company is likely to call as we can be a bit difficult to find.
Hi Bingowilly and I will add my welcome to the EK Forum too. Not much else to add to what thijsseh has said apart from we hope you stick around and join in the discussion. There is also a wealth of information here with shortcuts to many informative threads in the dashboard Emirates Forum Dashboard

Please come back and let us know of your experience which in turn can help other newbies.

Once again, welcome and safe & Happy Travels.

​​​​​​​S
Saltire74 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 18, 9:15 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,766
Originally Posted by Bingowilly View Post
Thank you for the very fullsome answer thijsseh

We we live in rural Wiltshire, the sort of place where people still point at aeroplanes flying over. Despite urban spread it's still not a London post code I donít think Useful to know the company is likely to call as we can be a bit difficult to find.
Welcome! EK website doesn't specify the charge or whether paying it is possible (in some stations it isn't), only has this info:London (LGW)First Class and Business Class passengers: within a 70-mile radius of the airport, including all Greater London postcodes.London (LHR)First Class and Business Class passengers: within a 70-mile radius of the airport, including all Greater London postcodes.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...auffeur-drive/
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Jan 2, 18, 7:43 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TPE, CGK
Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Posts: 187
Different reward availability on website vs. call center

Hi Guys,

I made a redemption booking a while ago for TPE-BOS F (17 June) and BOS-TPE J (12 July).

I've been trying to move by TPE-BOS flight to 14 June and see availability on the Emirates website (if I look for J instead of F). However, for some reason I can't make this change from the Manage my booking page. I've tried calling the call center twice and they keep on telling me there are no reward seats available.

Any ideas how to sort this out?

Other (maybe relevant info):
I recently got a message from Emirates saying the TPE-DXB flight has an aircraft change and no longer has F class. So TPE-DXB is now in Business and DXB-BOS in First
HaikalS is offline  
Old Jan 2, 18, 9:05 am
  #9  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 14,495
Originally Posted by HaikalS View Post
Hi Guys,

I made a redemption booking a while ago for TPE-BOS F (17 June) and BOS-TPE J (12 July).

I've been trying to move by TPE-BOS flight to 14 June and see availability on the Emirates website (if I look for J instead of F). However, for some reason I can't make this change from the Manage my booking page. I've tried calling the call center twice and they keep on telling me there are no reward seats available.

Any ideas how to sort this out?

Other (maybe relevant info):
I recently got a message from Emirates saying the TPE-DXB flight has an aircraft change and no longer has F class. So TPE-DXB is now in Business and DXB-BOS in First
Hi, just because there is availability showing doesn't mean there is availability for redemptions. Redemption are limited to a certain amount of seats.

You can check for redemption availability in a couple of ways :-
  • Look for Saver Rewards availability on the EK website.
  • Use ExpertFlyer or similar.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Jan 2, 18, 7:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TPE, CGK
Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Hi, just because there is availability showing doesn't mean there is availability for redemptions. Redemption are limited to a certain amount of seats.

You can check for redemption availability in a couple of ways :-
  • Look for Saver Rewards availability on the EK website.
  • Use ExpertFlyer or similar.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that availabiltiy on the website as I tried to book a new redemption ticket on the website. Shouldn't it therefore be the same?
HaikalS is offline  
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:08 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,766
Originally Posted by HaikalS View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that availabiltiy on the website as I tried to book a new redemption ticket on the website. Shouldn't it therefore be the same?
Yes, however the class change might have confused them, did you try calling again? Otherwise try a DM to @EmiratesSupport on Twitterooster
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:52 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,534
Originally Posted by HaikalS View Post
I've been trying to move by TPE-BOS flight to 14 June and see availability on the Emirates website (if I look for J instead of F). However, for some reason I can't make this change from the Manage my booking page. I've tried calling the call center twice and they keep on telling me there are no reward seats available.

Any ideas how to sort this out?
If you can see availability for the complete round trip, and none of the miles used have expired, you could cancel and rebook. Saves having to bang heads with the call centre.
ft101 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 4:49 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NRW / Germany
Programs: Topbonus Platinum
Posts: 169
Hi all again,

I have checked the flights I am booked onto and the DXB - MAN on Jan 11 shows the following availability on expertflyer:

F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 P0 Y0 E0 R0 W0 M0 B0 U0 K0 H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0

I am booked in U (Eco Flex), so I guess there is at least a little chance for an upgrade?

Thanks
FlyDUS
FlyDUS is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 5:47 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,766
Originally Posted by FlyDUS View Post
Hi all again,

I have checked the flights I am booked onto and the DXB - MAN on Jan 11 shows the following availability on expertflyer:

F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 P0 Y0 E0 R0 W0 M0 B0 U0 K0 H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0

I am booked in U (Eco Flex), so I guess there is at least a little chance for an upgrade?

Thanks
FlyDUS
At least a little - good way of putting it
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 5:57 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NRW / Germany
Programs: Topbonus Platinum
Posts: 169
... Forgot to mention I am Skywards Gold. So I can only hope not too many people are booked on Flex Plus?
FlyDUS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: