Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusingand we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates SkywardsOur award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and a wide selection of partners, and also enhances your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2015/2016 thread: Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Ambassador
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
If you have the miles and upgrades are available go ahead and use them for the longer trips. I've not been able to get confirmation for upgrades at the time of booking but usually seats become available a few weeks prior to departure. Although others might disagree, in my case only. upgrades on long haul flights have been the best use of my miles
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by bo777300
I am going to buy business class flexi tickets, and hope to upgrade to 1st class Sydney to London for the both of us.I see using the calculator, that it wound be 62500 points each.
The 62,500 miles is to upgrade a Flex Plus fare. You mention a flexi ticket, but do you mean Flex or Flex Plus?

You might find a First Class to be only marginally more expensive than Business Flex Plus, meaning there's more value to be had for your miles elsewhere.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:48 pm

using points

I meant a flex ticket, ft101. Sorry about that.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:49 pm

I meant a flex ticket
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:46 pm

Then you'll need 81,250 miles each, or 162,500 in total, so you currently don't have enough for you plans.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Miles are best used to upgrade. However as ft101 points out you'd need more 81k miles
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
You can also buy some points (up to 25K) and if you have any hotel points (for example, SPG, IHG) you can do a transfer. In the case of SPG, you get a 5,000 point bonus for each 20K you transfer.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:57 am

A little help with business award possibility? Never flown EK so navigating the award redemption is a little lost on me.

Looking for ORD - Male in July. Can be kind of flexible. Use July 5th - July 16th as an example.

It looks like this would be like 170k roundtrip in saver? Partner airline options as I will be transfering from either UR or Amex.

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:40 pm

using points

ft 101
Thanks for your reply, but I checked again on miles calculator - business, and the points you said ,81250, are for SAVER fare, where I am going to buy a FLEX fare - 62500 for 1 person, SYD to LHR.

Please correct me if I am wrong, or where do I calculate them properly
Thanks

m3red is this right
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Klimo
A little help with business award possibility? Never flown EK so navigating the award redemption is a little lost on me.

Looking for ORD - Male in July. Can be kind of flexible. Use July 5th - July 16th as an example.

It looks like this would be like 170k roundtrip in saver? Partner airline options as I will be transfering from either UR or Amex.

Thanks!
Log in to your account at emirates.com and try to make a booking - tick the box for "Classic Rewards" and for "+/- 3 days".

It looks like 5th July has nothing, and the dates around it have only Flex Plus so you can double your miles estimate for the roundtrip, as well as add taxes/fees.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bo777300
ft 101
Thanks for your reply, but I checked again on miles calculator - business, and the points you said ,81250, are for SAVER fare, where I am going to buy a FLEX fare - 62500 for 1 person, SYD to LHR.

Please correct me if I am wrong, or where do I calculate them properly
Thanks

m3red is this right
You could be right - I was looking at upgrading Economy Class, as I thought the figures were the same. If I click on the Business Class button, the Flex upgrade miles reduces to the same as the Flex Plus amount, which is not the case for Economy Flex tickets. This was not something I was aware of before.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Be aware also that if the segments become available separately the combined total will be more than if you were to upgrade the whole journey at once. You'll need to call in to get that fixed.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by Academic
Be aware also that if the segments become available separately the combined total will be more than if you were to upgrade the whole journey at once. You'll need to call in to get that fixed.
I think you mean try to get that fixed. IME it doesn't always work that way, unfortunately.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:58 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Flaneurs
I think you mean try to get that fixed. IME it doesn't always work that way, unfortunately.
Really? That now creates extra stress for me as I am waiting for an award on a second sector to open up. I have set an alert on ExpertFlyer and am looking every day at the 'pattern' of awards becoming available and I have great hopes that I can add the second sector to an already booked upgrade on the first sector and that only the mile difference would be charged (after calling the call centre of course). If they don't want to do this, its a no no .
Anecdotally, they seem to usually do this.
Anyone else with a different experience?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
IME some CS employees will do it and others will not. Officially the line of EK corporate is that they don't have to give you the reduced combined award amount if the requests are made at separate times and they sent me a letter stating that after taking the fight to them. I had gold status and they still refused but YMMV. Best to try and then HUCA if you don't get them to do it right away. Good luck and I hope that it works for you. From reading elsewhere on FT I can tell you that others have had no problems doing this regularly, I simply wanted to caution a little bit so you were aware of the situation. Please let us know what happens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.