Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusingand we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates SkywardsOur award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and a wide selection of partners, and also enhances your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2015/2016 thread: Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Ambassador
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: Skywards, Silver
I am trying to figure out, how much do the amount of required tier miles increase every time you miss a tier deadline?
In May I was about 5.000 miles away from reaching Gold. The deadline for this was the 31st of May.
Now the new deadline has been set to the 31st of July, and I now need around 15.000 miles.
So does the amount of required miles go up by 10.000 every time you are unable to gather enough, or how does it work?

Have a CPH-DXB-HND round-trip in August and another one in October. At least I will keep Silver, but by these calculations I guess I will keep being 5.000 or 10.000 miles short. So no Gold for me
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:43 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Marc Liljeqvist
I am trying to figure out, how much do the amount of required tier miles increase every time you miss a tier deadline?
In May I was about 5.000 miles away from reaching Gold. The deadline for this was the 31st of May.
Now the new deadline has been set to the 31st of July, and I now need around 15.000 miles.
So does the amount of required miles go up by 10.000 every time you are unable to gather enough, or how does it work?

Have a CPH-DXB-HND round-trip in August and another one in October. At least I will keep Silver, but by these calculations I guess I will keep being 5.000 or 10.000 miles short. So no Gold for me
Hi Marc,

This depends on your travel from the previous year. Do you have something from April 2016 that has expired? Remember that requalification for a tier depends on flying the correct amount of miles within the 13 month period (25k, 50k, 150k). The amount required always stays the same, but the amount of tier miles in your account will drop after your past flights are older than 13 moths.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Marc Liljeqvist

As already pointed out it's a rolling window. Sounds like you had 45k miles from. May 16 - May 17 (hence 5k more for Gold). To achieve Gold in June you need 50k from June 16 - June 17. If you earned 5k miles in May 16 your tier total would now drop to 40k. Check the Emirates Android app, when you rotate it horizontally it shows a good breakdown.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Has anyone ever asked for a match to Skywards and already been Silver and then granted Gold? I am reaching 75K on AS (more than 90k BIS miles in the last year) and want to start building status on EK but don't want to start at Silver (which was the only match offered). Wondering if I can credit my next trip to EK which will put me over for Silver and then match.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Has anyone ever asked for a match to Skywards and already been Silver and then granted Gold? I am reaching 75K on AS (more than 90k BIS miles in the last year) and want to start building status on EK but don't want to start at Silver (which was the only match offered). Wondering if I can credit my next trip to EK which will put me over for Silver and then match.
I did this a couple years ago when I was silver as EK only matches one level up. I sent in my A3 and AB gold in the original request. It was referred to a local business manager who contacted me about my upcoming plans. Sent my reservations which were DFW-NBO return and NBO-VCE return in a month and mentioned that they were booked in Flex Plus. Also asked about where I worked which was Thomson Reuters at the time and he mentioned that they do have a corporate account with them although my trips were all personal. It is not automatic but can happen.

This site may have more current information: http://statusmatcher.com/
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by kq747
I did this a couple years ago when I was silver as EK only matches one level up. I sent in my A3 and AB gold in the original request. It was referred to a local business manager who contacted me about my upcoming plans. Sent my reservations which were DFW-NBO return and NBO-VCE return in a month and mentioned that they were booked in Flex Plus. Also asked about where I worked which was Thomson Reuters at the time and he mentioned that they do have a corporate account with them although my trips were all personal. It is not automatic but can happen.

Wow that's quite involved. Friend of mine wrote in with his Senator card and was immediately offered one level up to Silver (first time EK flight and no future reservations). He ended up not taking them up on it as he preferred to wait for Silver and then jump to Gold though ultimately decided to stay with LH
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by kq747

I might try to reach out to our corporate travel department and see if they can help me out instead of going through the front door.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I would appreciate some help with a semi-complex award booking:

1) When booking an open-jaw, is the total mileage calculated on a half-roundtrip basis or is it the sum of two one-way awards (= much more expensive)?

2) It seems that First class awards are only available at the Flex and Flex Plus level. Therefore I assume up to two stopovers are permitted enroute?

Or to phrase this differently: Would FRA-DXB-SINx-MEL//SYD-DXB-FRA be bookable for 270k miles in F?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
1) When booking an open-jaw, is the total mileage calculated on a half-roundtrip basis or is it the sum of two one-way awards (= much more expensive)?
You would need Saver Reward Tickets for the least amount of miles, and open-jaw routings are available on these, however they must be to/from the same Skywards zone and not available in First. Next best is First Flex and again open-jaw routings are available, however SIN is in the Far East zone and MEL/SYD are in Australia (East) which will rule you out I think.

Edit. Apologies if I've read your routing incorrectly and you're outbound isn't finishing in SIN. In to MEL and out of SYD should be fine.

Last edited by ft101; Jun 16, 2017 at 1:38 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
You would need Saver Reward Tickets for the least amount of miles, and open-jaw routings are available on these, however they must be to/from the same Skywards zone and not available in First. Next best is First Flex and again open-jaw routings are available, however SIN is in the Far East zone and MEL/SYD are in Australia (East) which will rule you out I think.

Edit. Apologies if I've read your routing incorrectly and you're outbound isn't finishing in SIN. In to MEL and out of SYD should be fine.
Thanks for the response! And my apologies for being unclear. Intended routing is:

FRA-DXB-SIN (stopover)
SIN-MEL (destination)
SYD-DXB-FRA
(First Class)

Would this be bookable at 270k EK miles?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the response! And my apologies for being unclear. Intended routing is:

FRA-DXB-SIN (stopover)
SIN-MEL (destination)
SYD-DXB-FRA
(First Class)

Would this be bookable at 270k EK miles?
Yes, that is what ft101 said.

You can calculate miles required here: https://www.emirates.com/account/eng...alculator.aspx
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yes, that is what ft101 said.

You can calculate miles required here: https://www.emirates.com/account/eng...alculator.aspx
Thanks. I checked the mileage requirement, but just wanted to double-check that the r/t rate applies despite the stopover + open-jaw combination.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:59 am

Thanks. I checked the mileage requirement, but just wanted to double-check that the r/t rate applies despite the stopover + open-jaw combination.
The open jaw rule seems OK:

Travel permitted to/from one city, returning to/from another city, within the same Emirates Skywards zone only
and the stop over one seems OK too, but I've never tried it out in practice.

Does it show the miles required if you do a dummy booking, or does it just say you don't have enough?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I just got Silver status updated yesterday. My account properly says silver but it is still trying to charge me for seat selection on an upcoming flight. Should I just wait a few days to call in?

Also, if I select a seat for free, will it try to put my wife on the same reservation next to me if there is a free seat?

Finally, is there any chance of getting leniency to bring my wife into the lounge at DXB as a guest? I just started flying EK this year and do plan on hitting gold status this year but obviously I'm not there yet.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I just got Silver status updated yesterday. My account properly says silver but it is still trying to charge me for seat selection on an upcoming flight. Should I just wait a few days to call in?

Also, if I select a seat for free, will it try to put my wife on the same reservation next to me if there is a free seat?

Finally, is there any chance of getting leniency to bring my wife into the lounge at DXB as a guest? I just started flying EK this year and do plan on hitting gold status this year but obviously I'm not there yet.
Hi, not sure exactly but from what I hear on other airlines try removing the Skywards number from the reservation (while not logged into your account, so just give directly to Manage My Booking) then close the window, open a new one and add it back (possibly while logged in) and then try, it may have just not updated the status. Waiting a day or two may also work.

As for seating your companion, no idea where it'll automatically seat her but once OLCI opens she can select a seat for free. If you select something like a center aisle with the center seat open chances are if she tries exactly at OLCI that she can select it. Not sure if EK assigns all pax to seats automatically once OLCI opens or only once airport check-in opens.

Oh and no chance on the lounge guest I'm afraid but that's why EK now lets you pay 100USD for access​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.