Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusingand we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates SkywardsOur award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and a wide selection of partners, and also enhances your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2015/2016 thread: Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Ambassador
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:22 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Wondering to myself, when upgrading at check in from J to F using skywards miles with one of the two sectors already upgraded to F previously with miles, do i get charged the lower redemption rate or the full singular upgrade rate and then have to retro claim later ?

Thanks
As far as I’m aware, you will be charged the rate for that leg. Don’t know about retro-claiming but would doubt it.

S
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:31 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Wondering to myself, when upgrading at check in from J to F using skywards miles with one of the two sectors already upgraded to F previously with miles, do i get charged the lower redemption rate or the full singular upgrade rate and then have to retro claim later ?

Thanks
The 'trick' of combining 2 separate sector upgrades into the lower 'combined rate' is (as far as I am aware) not really 'official'. There have been posts here (and please don't ask me for the references) where it has actually been refused by CC agents. So I am 99.9% sure that you will be charged the 'full' rate for a check in or on board upgrade and 98% sure you will get no joy with a retro claim. I really hope I am wrong, so if you try this and you are successful, please tell me!
Flaneurs likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold

Thanks
You have to call EK for them to do this
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You have to call EK for them to do this
Would that still be possible whilst standing at check in?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74

Would that still be possible whilst standing at check in?
no you need the office
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
At that stage, i think it is safe to kiss the miles good bye. I am actually quite sick of EK knowing full well the have an empty F cabin, and not allowing god himself to use his miles towards an F upgrade 4 days out until you are standing in the line to board. Grrrrr
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:42 am
Moderator, Emirates

I had a similar situation on my last EK flight (Y-J). Had upgraded the first leg from PEK and waited out for the DXB-GLA leg. Had enough miles for the PEK-GLA but not enough to upgrade separately so by the time I was at the check in in PEK knew I wouldn’t be in J from DXB unless I was very lucky with an Op-Up. I know for a fact that there were seats available on the GLA flight but as it happens, the excellent purser nabbed a spare row of seats for me to lie flat(ish).

S
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:44 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Yep if you want to do this you have to call EK. There is no policy that says they must give you the lower rate, but I've had it a few times in the past couple of years and they have obliged. Most recent was in November last year.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:11 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Is it not the case though that it carries some risk in that they have to offload you from your upgraded segment first, miles go back to your account, then deducted again for the full itinerary with the small chance that the miles seat either doesn’t go back into the upgrade bucket or gets snapped up by someone else. I seem to recall that’s what I was told by the agent when I called to enquire.

S
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
Question Skywards miles question

Back in November I was stuck in Sydney when the Qatar Airways flight that I was due to fly home on went technical, resulting in an 18 hour delay. Qatar eventually rebooked me to travel home with Qantas (J) and all was well. On my return I had to claim missing Avios miles and eventually I was credited with the correct amount but I am now wondering whether I should have had the miles from the Qantas flight credited to my Skywards account rather than Avios and whether it is too late or can I transfer them to Skywards. Having been Emirates Gold for several years I have sadly lost my status two years ago but will now be travelling to Australia twice a year in J and having tried Singapore and Qatar I am returning to Emirates again. Can any of the skywards gurus help me please??
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:55 pm

Well you can't change anything about it now, you can't transfer miles between frequent flyer programs, in general, and once claimed and issued to you I doubt they'd reverse the claim so you can credit elsewhere.

The miles would not have counted as tier miles, being a QF flight, as far as I know.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: EK Blue :-( BAEC
a bit rusty after a long absence, re: miles upgrade

Hi,
I've been absent for a long while due to health reasons, not flying much or far last couple of years. Hoping that is all changed now and back to long haul and J flights again...
I didn't get the answers I needed through Emirates call centre hoping you fab guys/gals could help?

Could anyone advise the best way to find out whether I can upgrade to J before I buy miles and waste the cash on the chance I am unable to use them? Because I only have enough for 1 way upgrade at present (saying 2 seats available) I can't see if the return journey is available. The agent says no availability for upgrade with miles but when you look it is available for 1 leg so not sure who to believe? Confused!! Can any of you clever people help? Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:08 am

Well routing and dates would be helpful, the best way to check is ExpertFlyer, it's just $10 a month and you can end the subscription at any time if you no longer need it (and there's a free trial). Else you can search for J Saver award seats on the Emirates website as these are the same as upgrades from Y to J. Unless you mean F upgrades then you need to search for F Saver Awards.

Agents are generally correct when it comes to availability, it could very well be that if you have a connecting itinerary only one of the flights has availability.
tummytank and thijsseh like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: EK Blue :-( BAEC
Thanks for the quick response. Its a straight GLA-DXB out 08/03/2019 return 17/03/2019 nothing fancy Upgrade from Y to J using miles only. He said nothing available either way but when I try using reward it says 2 seats available on out bound leg and he said there wasn't???? hence why I don't want to spend £996 on 50,000 miles approx
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by tummytank
Thanks for the quick response. Its a straight GLA-DXB out 08/03/2019 return 17/03/2019 nothing fancy Upgrade from Y to J using miles only. He said nothing available either way but when I try using reward it says 2 seats available on out bound leg and he said there wasn't???? hence why I don't want to spend £996 on 50,000 miles approx
I can see two Saver Rewards seats available for both flights on 8/3/19 which means two upgrades are available from Economy to Business. However, the return on 17/3/19 has only Flex Plus Rewards which come out of a different fare bucket so no good for your upgrade.

Not having enough miles in your account does not stop you seeing this availability on the EK website.
tummytank likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.