Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusingand we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates SkywardsOur award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and a wide selection of partners, and also enhances your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2015/2016 thread: Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Ambassador
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:06 am

Hi All,

I've 200k miles expiring in Jan and I'd let to get the most out of them.

I'm based out of DUB but would have no problems positioning to another location - is there a matrix of upgrade costs available rather than having to select multiple destinations on the Miles Calculator?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Kyka
I've 200k miles expiring in Jan and I'd let to get the most out of them.

I'm based out of DUB but would have no problems positioning to another location - is there a matrix of upgrade costs available rather than having to select multiple destinations on the Miles Calculator?
Mileage requirements are calculated by Zones rather than individual destinations eg if you look up the mileage required for Dublin to Hong Kong, you'll also have covered Paris to Bangkok or Madrid to Osaka or anywhere in Western Europe to anywhere in the Far East. Half a dozen or so searches could well cover all your possible routes.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Amex Plat UK, BA, Diamond HHonors
Thanks for the reply

Alas I cant figure out how to spend the kids miles rather than (or in addition to) mine?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by travelfreakuk
Thanks for the reply

Alas I cant figure out how to spend the kids miles rather than (or in addition to) mine?
Miles from Skysurfer accounts can't be spent online - you'll have to call EK. AFAIK, they can then be used in exactly the same way as regular Skywards miles.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
Hi everyone. Got a fairly simple question but I’d like expert confirmation. For the first time in 8 years I won’t reach Gold status in time for remewal (30/9/3018). Blame it on my company’s travel policy and travel ristrictions or my lack of flying privately... it is what it is. As far as I understand I’ll still get Gold benefits until Nov 2018? I haven’t flown in Oct and nov 2017, so no miles will be deducted from the yearly target, right? I will end with 40k iso 50k end sept; so as long as I fly another 10k in Oct and Nov, I shouldn’t actually lose my status at any point?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by gorbatzjov
Hi everyone. Got a fairly simple question but I’d like expert confirmation. For the first time in 8 years I won’t reach Gold status in time for remewal (30/9/3018). Blame it on my company’s travel policy and travel ristrictions or my lack of flying privately... it is what it is. As far as I understand I’ll still get Gold benefits until Nov 2018? I haven’t flown in Oct and nov 2017, so no miles will be deducted from the yearly target, right? I will end with 40k iso 50k end sept; so as long as I fly another 10k in Oct and Nov, I shouldn’t actually lose my status at any point?
What is the expiry date on your status shown on your EK account online or in the app? Generally it is two months after your renewal target date. As long as you achieve 50k in a rolling 13k window you'll regain Gold
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Transfer Skysurfers Miles

Anyone tried this? Wanted to (paid) transfer pre-family pooling mileage balances from my kids to my own account (as only a few thousand miles in each that would otherwise expire). However, that functionality doesn’t seem to exist. Would seem ridiculous if Skysurfers accounts are discriminated against with regard to transferring miles, even to their parents!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:19 am

Called EK? AFAIK, you can use but not transfer them.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Called EK? AFAIK, you can use but not transfer them.
I did in the meantime. They cant be transferred, which I find ridiculous: why should you be discriminated against just because it is not an adult account? Using them is not of much use if not enough and you can't pool them (pre family-pool miles; the way they have structured the family pool program you always end up with the odd miles outside the pool, wish they would have done something like over at MM).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Wtravel
I did in the meantime. They cant be transferred, which I find ridiculous: why should you be discriminated against just because it is not an adult account? Using them is not of much use if not enough and you can't pool them (pre family-pool miles; the way they have structured the family pool program you always end up with the odd miles outside the pool, wish they would have done something like over at MM).
Fully agree. Doesn't make much sense to have different T&Cs for what's actually the same programme. Personally, I'd just get rid of this whole Skysurfer nonsense (and it's archaic way of administration) and allow Skywards membership from 2 years.

One way of using orphan Skysurfer miles might be to buy additional miles up to the level required for redemption. Not sure though whether that would be allowed though...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
You could use them for Skywards Go?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum Premier, Skywards Gold, HH Gold, M&M FTL
I have (online) booked another passenger (name) for an EK flight using my Skywards account. I'm not part of the travel, it's just the other passenger flying.

Will I still receive the miles for this flight?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:53 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Travelsam
I have (online) booked another passenger (name) for an EK flight using my Skywards account. I'm not part of the travel, it's just the other passenger flying.

Will I still receive the miles for this flight?
No, you have to travel yourself to get the miles.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:08 am

Emirates Skywards Family Account

So I recently started using Skywards (TK only before) and have collected about 50K miles. Got married so added my wife into my family Skywards account. So now, I have the following question: let's say I set my contribution to 100% and add 20K miles. I then want to redeem 70K miles - will I be able to redeem using a combination of my personal 50K and 20K from the family? Or do I have to choose one source only?

Also, is there any "loss" in between - i.e. something normally costing 70K miles from an individual account costing 75K if you use it from a family account?

I fly a lot more than my wife with flights paid by my company and generally take my wife with me by paying for her ticket out of pocket. My ultimate goal is to use all my miles to redeem things for her. I believe this should be possible with this family pooling and that's the actual point of all of this - correct?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ktosayev
So I recently started using Skywards (TK only before) and have collected about 50K miles. Got married so added my wife into my family Skywards account. So now, I have the following question: let's say I set my contribution to 100% and add 20K miles. I then want to redeem 70K miles - will I be able to redeem using a combination of my personal 50K and 20K from the family? Or do I have to choose one source only?

Also, is there any "loss" in between - i.e. something normally costing 70K miles from an individual account costing 75K if you use it from a family account?

I fly a lot more than my wife with flights paid by my company and generally take my wife with me by paying for her ticket out of pocket. My ultimate goal is to use all my miles to redeem things for her. I believe this should be possible with this family pooling and that's the actual point of all of this - correct?
Unfortunately, one source only. You can't use different sources to pay for an award etc.

No loss - awards cost the same, whether miles are taken from your personal, a family, or indeed someone else's account.

Yes, I think the pooling of miles accrued by different family members (particularly those that only fly infrequently or on tickets that don't accrue an awful lot of miles, e.g. Y savers) and then spending the total on awards is the whole point behind this. Less miles wasted/orphaned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.