Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusingand we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates SkywardsOur award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and a wide selection of partners, and also enhances your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2015/2016 thread: Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Ambassador
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Skywards gold
Does reward flight availability correlate to upgrade availability? Looking to book my mum J MAN-PVG-MAN with my miles and wondering if best to book flex Y or reward J. I guess a call to cust services may be the answer...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Tom Jackson
Does reward flight availability correlate to upgrade availability? Looking to book my mum J MAN-PVG-MAN with my miles and wondering if best to book flex Y or reward J. I guess a call to cust services may be the answer...
Saver Reward in J means upgrade from Y to J is available. Both come out of "D" fare bucket.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Skywards silver
If two people are travelling on the same PNR and you are wanting to upgrade using miles, can you phone Emirates to combine miles from each persons account to make up the total amount needed for the upgrade?
Also to be able to achieve dream upgrade to F for all our sectors, we are currently 20,000 miles short (as we both just unluckily had over 10,000 each expire a few months ago, before availability opened) is simply purchasing skywards miles at $40 per 1000, the easiest way to achieve the necessary miles? It's probably not the most cost effective though.
Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
If two people are travelling on the same PNR and you are wanting to upgrade using miles, can you phone Emirates to combine miles from each persons account to make up the total amount needed for the upgrade?
Also to be able to achieve dream upgrade to F for all our sectors, we are currently 20,000 miles short (as we both just unluckily had over 10,000 each expire a few months ago, before availability opened) is simply purchasing skywards miles at $40 per 1000, the easiest way to achieve the necessary miles? It's probably not the most cost effective though.
Thanks.
You can call to combine, the other account holder must be available to come to the phone to confirm, or you should be their travel coordinator in their Skywards account, as far as I understand it.

Buying miles is certainly the easiest, by far not the most efficient. for 400$ you may want to check what the fare difference is. Especially when it's 400$ + x miles. If you pay for just one of the sectors to upgrade to F and do the rest with miles you might find the fare difference to be relatively low, however I believe mixed cabin itineraries are problematic with EK so you may have to do an entire segment (i.e. one half of the return, so on most EK itineraries 2/4 flights) to achieve this.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:22 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You can call to combine, the other account holder must be available to come to the phone to confirm, or you should be their travel coordinator in their Skywards account, as far as I understand it.

Buying miles is certainly the easiest, by far not the most efficient. for 400$ you may want to check what the fare difference is. Especially when it's 400$ + x miles. If you pay for just one of the sectors to upgrade to F and do the rest with miles you might find the fare difference to be relatively low, however I believe mixed cabin itineraries are problematic with EK so you may have to do an entire segment (i.e. one half of the return, so on most EK itineraries 2/4 flights) to achieve this.
Similar to the scenario I had early last year. Not enough miles to upgrade to F on 1 leg of a 2 leg return (wanted to try the A380 in F). Looked at buying them. Cost would have been around £700. Called up for fare difference quote and was told £412 for the full return. No brainer plus miles and points for F to top up the balance.

S
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:59 pm

I'm completely new to Flyer Talk and I don't particularly understand class/fare type etc but if possible I would really appreciate some help...

I'm flying from LHR to Denpasar via Dubai on 23rd June and returning to LGW on 3rd July. I'm flying by myself as I couldn't get on the same flights as my friends due to cost. I currently hold blue tier status and have 8500 skywards points and would really like to upgrade to business for the lowest possible cost for my outward journey.

Emirates customer services have quoted me £680 which is unaffordable for me. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to bring this down, and/or is there likely to be an option to upgrade when I complete my online check-in for a lesser amount?

Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:42 am

upgrading daughter

Hopefully someone can clarify for me.
My daughter is flying on a Economy flex GLA-BNE-GLA,
I would like to use my miles to upgrade her to Business on the return leg (81,500 miles)
I read on other threads that you can upgrade anyone if you have the miles although I thought you had to transfer the miles to that person (25,000 per annum)

what is the deal here ?

thanks in advance
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:51 am

When you go to Manage My Booking when not logged in - you can go to upgrade with miles, then log in with your account details.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
When you go to Manage My Booking when not logged in - you can go to upgrade with miles, then log in with your account details.
thanks ET
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Not sure why - but the thread title made me chuckle
Old May 24, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
Hope this is in the right section?
Any advise how the best way to utilise my skywards miles, currently on 150,000 and travel a couple of times a year from London to Clark in the Philippines.
I've just found out a supplier of mine will accept credit card payments, so I can use my MBNA elite card to pay this every month and then claim back on expenses. I'll be earning roughly 30,000 miles a month doing this, so my miles will soon mount up.
What's the best way of spending these miles?
Old May 24, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by SimonLHR
Any advise how the best way to utilise my skywards miles, currently on 150,000 and travel a couple of times a year from London to Clark in the Philippines.
I've just found out a supplier of mine will accept credit card payments, so I can use my MBNA elite card to pay this every month and then claim back on expenses. I'll be earning roughly 30,000 miles a month doing this, so my miles will soon mount up.
Typical advice is buy economy and use them for upgrades to business. If you normally fly business then this is the best $ value for miles.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:41 am

80k EK Reward Points

Hello

I need help..... It doesn't look like you can pool points for free. I have 80k points but split across all our 3 accounts.

Would Emirates allow us to book 3 flights and take all the 80k points off the total cost or would I have to book the flights separately to get the money off each flight?

There is 3 of us wanting to travel to DXB and get some money off the flight cost as its far too many miles to use in business or first

I have an American Express account so I could top up my 80k stash if needed

Thanks All
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:44 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
Hello

I need help..... It doesn't look like you can pool points for free. I have 80k points but split across all our 3 accounts.

Would Emirates allow us to book 3 flights and take all the 80k points off the total cost or would I have to book the flights separately to get the money off each flight?

There is 3 of us wanting to travel to DXB and get some money off the flight cost as its far too many miles to use in business or first

I have an American Express account so I could top up my 80k stash if needed

Thanks All
Hi Craig,

I think you may have to book 3 separate tickets using cash+miles to pay. You won't necessarily save or lose money that way, but remember two things:

1. Seat selection is only complimentary for skywards silver and above so you may need to pay for this on tickets booked by those not on this tier.
2. Cash+miles is only available on EK operated flights, no mixed metal.

Hope you find a solution!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
Originally Posted by SimonLHR
Agree. I buy economy flex and upgrade to business.

Don't get your hopes up re the lounge at CRK or MNL though. they outsource to some awful joint lounge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.