Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Emirates
chauffeur etiquette

Hi All,

Come from the Dark side (BA) and wanted to know about chauffeur etiquette given this is a foreign service for BA flyer...

Previously flown with Emirates last year in First to Bali and had an excellent trip and surprised at the level of service along with the chauffeur car service.

When we previously travelled with my other half the chauffeur struggled to get both our bags in the car, he resorted to placing the 2nd bag on the front seat. Given there is two of us flying and getting picked up from London central headed to Gatwick on the 29th. Is this frowned upon to order 2 cars?

Thanks in Advance.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by JSYOLI
Hi All,

Come from the Dark side (BA) and wanted to know about chauffeur etiquette given this is a foreign service for BA flyer...

Previously flown with Emirates last year in First to Bali and had an excellent trip and surprised at the level of service along with the chauffeur car service.

When we previously travelled with my other half the chauffeur struggled to get both our bags in the car, he resorted to placing the 2nd bag on the front seat. Given there is two of us flying and getting picked up from London central headed to Gatwick on the 29th. Is this frowned upon to order 2 cars?

Thanks in Advance.
Although you're entitled to a car for each of you, let them know ahead of time the amount of luggage you have and they should send a car/SUV large enough to accomodate you both together with your luggage.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by dwugson
Although you're entitled to a car for each of you, let them know ahead of time the amount of luggage you have and they should send a car/SUV large enough to accomodate you both together with your luggage.
My experience in the UK of several trips with two of us travelling with one medium case each and one piece of hand luggage is that half the time they send a saloon and half the time a van. If its a saloon they almost always have to put one case in the front seat (it is ridiculous how small the trunk is in a large Mercedes), if it is a van the ride is often not very comfortable. Why don't they just use estate cars - lots of space for luggage and a comfortable ride?
ps107 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Osaka

Have a trip to KIX coming up and naively forgot to check if Chauffer drive was offered before booking...

Any recommended alternatives for a good private airport transfer for 4 (light luggage only)?

(Going to the Conrad if that makes any difference)

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:20 pm

Whats the etiquette with this service? Are we expected to tip the drivers or anything ?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Whats the etiquette with this service? Are we expected to tip the drivers or anything ?
No. Unless they provide some additional service such as waiting around to give a friend a lift as they did for me in CPT.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
20% of what the service cost you is generally accepted, same as with lounge food and drinks
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dambus

Have a trip to KIX coming up and naively forgot to check if Chauffer drive was offered before booking...

Any recommended alternatives for a good private airport transfer for 4 (light luggage only)?

(Going to the Conrad if that makes any difference)

Thanks
Blacklane
Dambus likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
20% of what the service cost you is generally accepted, same as with lounge food and drinks
Ic - What if the service which in this case is "free" ? lol... I have never tipped what I have already paid for but of course, if they are excellent, I might do that... a taxi from GLA to EDI is I think about £50 - so I guess if I wanted to tip, a £10 tip is reasonable ?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:51 am

Ic - What if the service which in this case is "free" ? lol... I have never tipped what I have already paid for but of course, if they are excellent, I might do that... a taxi from GLA to EDI is I think about £50 - so I guess if I wanted to tip, a £10 tip is reasonable ?
The cost to you (setting aside what is built into ticket price) is 0. You tip 20% of that
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The cost to you (setting aside what is built into ticket price) is 0. You tip 20% of that
I hate tipping but I tipped 35% of the 'cost to me' last time. He did take us from North Aberdeenshire to Glasgow though
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wcel
I hate tipping but I tipped 35% of the 'cost to me' last time. He did take us from North Aberdeenshire to Glasgow though
35% of £0.00 = £0.00
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:30 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Driver tipping?

I am not a great tipper in general (although I try to follow the 'convention' in the place I'm in). But I do generally give a tip to the driver in London (LHR or LGW) who drives me up to the limit of the free mileage distance (about 68 miles from my place in Canterbury to Gatwick). And the same in CPT (although its a half hour drive compared to an hour and a half in London). They have never given me the impression that they expected a tip and were very grateful receiving it.
On the other hand, I did not tip the driver who took me the less than 10 minutes to the Le Meridian at DXB as part of the STPC / DC service. He spent these 10 minutes complaining how expensive Dubai was and what it cost him to travel to his home in Pakistan. He was visibly upset when I did not tip. His behaviour was like begging and far from courteous. And stressed the fact that we had gotten an F car (Mercedes S class) whilst we (in J) should have had a BMW. With me there is a strong link between the quality of service given and the tip (although admittedly I would most likely not have tipped him in any case for a 10 minute drive)
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:38 am

Upgrade

Do i still get the J vehicle after miles upgrade from J to F?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by larzy1977
Do i still get the J vehicle after miles upgrade from J to F?
Where? There's not really a distinction except at DXB (but even then not always) and I'd imagine at DXB you'd get the F vehicle if available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.