Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
What turned up was an E-Class estate. Don’t mind so much but I sincerely hope Tristar are not charging EK for something better and pocketing the difference!
To complete this journey:

Arrival at HND - slightly old Toyota Crown
Departure from HND - Mercedes S-Class LWB with most of the options list ticked
Arrival at MAN - Mercedes E-Class, apparently one of only two booked CD passengers on the flight
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by marcro
Will be flying to BKK in J and was wondering what kind of cars are used?

I will be going to Pattaya which comes with a charge of B2,800 (it is beyond the radius for the freebee), not sure if it will be worth the premium over alternative modes of transport.
BKK has been a Mercedes E-Class when I've used it.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Can I Book Chauffeur Service Dover to Gatwick (80 miles)?

Hi all. I'll be getting off a cruise in Dover, England & then catching a very late flight from Gatwick in paid bsuiness class. From where I'm from (New Zealand) we can pay extra to be driven outside the "free zone" but it's unclear if I can do this in England: the "free zone" is 70 miles & so Dover-Gatwick will be an additional 10 miles on top of that (but potentially very congested traffic). When I select my New Zealand car service, it tells me how much additional miles are. But when I select London's it only tells me there is a 70 mile limit & that's that. Thanks in-advance for any help!

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jan 6, 2020 at 2:41 am
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:57 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Hi all. I'll be getting off a cruise in Dover, England & then catching a very late flight from Gatwick in paid bsuiness class. From where I'm from (New Zealand) we can pay extra to be driven outside the "free zone" but it's unclear if I can do this in England: the "free zone" is 70 miles & so Dover-Gatwick will be an additional 10 miles on top of that (but potentially very congested traffic). When I select my New Zealand car service, it tells me how much additional miles are. But when I select London's it only tells me there is a 70 mile limit & that's that. Thanks in-advance for any help!
Yes, you can do that. Just book the car via MMB (I presume you are not on a 'special' - H bucket - fare in which case you don't qualify for a car). You will have to pay the driver directly for the excess, I believe this can be done either by card or in cash but not 100% sure about that. I did LHR to Canterbury in March last year and that was over 90 miles, but they still used 'a radius of 70 miles' then and I was just inside the red circle. But I was told then that excess milage would have been no problem would be payable to the driver.

As far as congestion is concerned, maybe a bit on the M25 (depending on the time of day) but it's not that bad. I regularly do CD to and from Canterbury (which is 69 miles or so...) and it has never taken me more than 1 hour 20 minutes.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:10 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Fantastic, thank you that well answers my question.

If anyone reads this, my next question is can I drop my bags and check in earlier than 3 hours before my flight? It seems they operate a flight out of Gatwick at 2:30pm so if I arrive in time while they are manning the desk, could u drop my bags for the 9pm flight and go through security? I have done this before but with my usual airline, Air New Zealand. It would be helpful to spend the time in the lounge catching up on work. Thank you for anyone that can help me with that second question, cheers
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I am not sure if check in accepts bags early .

I usually take a day use room at one of the hotels in the airport ( there are many options directly linked to the terminals ).

I have seen people waiting for late flights in the EK lounge but they may have connected at gatwick from another flight.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Jan 6, 2020 at 5:30 am
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
It would be helpful to spend the time in the lounge catching up on work.
You may find the lounge closes for a period after the first flight leaves. The timings you give are similar to the twice daily GLA service, and the lounge there definitely closes.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:49 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by ft101
You may find the lounge closes for a period after the first flight leaves. The timings you give are similar to the twice daily GLA service, and the lounge there definitely closes.
According to the EK website, the LGW lounge does not close between flights. There are three daily flights, relatively evenly spaced out over the day, the lounge is said to be open 06:00 to 20:25. It’s one of my ‘regular’ lounges, no apron views but excellent food!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:06 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
What turned up was an E-Class estate. Don’t mind so much but I sincerely hope Tristar are not charging EK for something better and pocketing the difference!

Looks like you had the exact same experience as me: an email stating that you should expect an S Class, yet an E Class showed up...
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Looks like you had the exact same experience as me: an email stating that you should expect an S Class, yet an E Class showed up...
Indeed, bit strange on Tristar's part. However, still stand by my point that I don't think there's anything intrinsically 'not first class' about an airline providing a free chauffeur service in an E-Class.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
According to the EK website, the LGW lounge does not close between flights. There are three daily flights, relatively evenly spaced out over the day, the lounge is said to be open 06:00 to 20:25. It’s one of my ‘regular’ lounges, no apron views but excellent food!
LGW’s opening hours are on a sign by the stairwell entrance...except everyone takes the elevators to enter the lounge so no one sees it...
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hello. I had booked a car to take us from the airport to our hotel when we arrive in Dubai from Durban on Sunday. Our plans have now changed and we are going straight through to LHR. Do I need to actively cancel the car at this moment in time or could I do it from the lounge when we are in transit. Thank you.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Shingi
Hello. I had booked a car to take us from the airport to our hotel when we arrive in Dubai from Durban on Sunday. Our plans have now changed and we are going straight through to LHR. Do I need to actively cancel the car at this moment in time or could I do it from the lounge when we are in transit. Thank you.
I wouldn't bother cancelling at DXB... There are literally hundreds of cars and drivers. I bet there are a hundred no-shows a day.
Shingi likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:55 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by Shingi
In Dubai, there is no actual 'pre-booked' car allocated to you, you just go to the CD area and they will assign you one.
Therefore no need to cancel anything actually.
It's different at outstations, where they would at least appreciate a cancellation as then your allocated car / driver doesn't have to wait for you.
Shingi likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
In Dubai, there is no actual 'pre-booked' car allocated to you, you just go to the CD area and they will assign you one.
Therefore no need to cancel anything actually.
It's different at outstations, where they would at least appreciate a cancellation as then your allocated car / driver doesn't have to wait for you.
The mobile app provides a very easy convenient way to cancel your car booking. It is what I have used in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.