Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sabbasolo
Feel free to pitch in with edits for content, additional posts and threads to be linked in the wiki, or general clean up - but please be as accurate and clear as possible!

WELCOME TO THE FLYERTALK EL AL MATMID THREAD! THIS IS A COMMUNITY-MAINTAINED WIKI FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT EL AL, MATMID, ELAL.COM, AND THE LY FT THREAD. PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING!

This thread is FLAME-FREE! Please recognize newbies who are posting here as well, and respond accordingly!!

Help me understand FlyerTalk and EL AL Matmid Forum lingo!

Flying with EL AL?
Frequent flyer with EL AL?
Need to contact EL AL?
Want general information about EL AL?
EL AL Online:

Important Threads From the Matmid forum!
Another FT thread: Traveling in Israel, for help navigating transportation in Israel

And from EL AL's website: Fly a Lot? EL AL Offers You a Ticket Pack
Upgrade to Premium Classes On-Board Your Flight!

Have a question? Do a SEARCH! Before posting a new thread, search first! There are 2 ways of searching FlyerTalk!
  1. Inside the specific forum, click on "Search this Forum" for results from within the El Al Matmid forum. To search all of FlyerTalk, click on "Search" located above the forum.
  2. By using Google. Duh! To search FT using Google, first type "site:www.flyertalk.com," and then a space, and then type what you want to search. (Leave out the quotation marks and comma!)
Searched? Can't find what you're looking for? Posting a new thread is simple. Try giving a descriptive title, and try not reviving really old threads! Note of caution: Posting in mega-threads (threads that may have been merged, or have posts from a wide range of years,) may not yield results.
Print Wikipost

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tracks
AA (obviously) knew I'm flying El Al and gave me an Amadeus code which El Al accepted with no probs over the phone, but they said to change seats I need to contact AA since they issued the ticket (not their exact words). I told them AA said the opposite but the impolite woman just said they are wrong and goodbye.
This is where you need to employ the HUACA (hang up and call again) method.

Try again, and maybe try a different office (if you spoke to the Israeli office, try the American one; if you spoke to the American one, try the Israeli one).

Alternatively, if you have the LY PNR, maybe try checking online
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
This is where you need to employ the HUACA (hang up and call again) method.

Try again, and maybe try a different office (if you spoke to the Israeli office, try the American one; if you spoke to the American one, try the Israeli one).

Alternatively, if you have the LY PNR, maybe try checking online
Thanks, will try that.

I do have the Amadeus code. I am logged in via elal site and I can see my seats, it even says: "you can choose seats" but I can't work out how. If I click on the available seat I want nothing happens. I also can't "unclick" the one I currently have.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's a confusing website.

Here's the steps though:
  1. From the ELAL.com homepage, click on "Manage My Booking," then "Personal Area," and input your PNR and last name
  2. Scroll down to the bottom and click on "Modify," UNDER your seat listing
  3. Click on "Select Seats"
  4. In the red box next to your name, type the seat number you want
  5. Click "Save Seats"
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:28 pm

It's a confusing website.

Here's the steps though:
  1. From the ELAL.com homepage, click on "Manage My Booking," then "Personal Area," and input your PNR and last name
  2. Scroll down to the bottom and click on "Modify," UNDER your seat listing
  3. Click on "Select Seats"
  4. In the red box next to your name, type the seat number you want
  5. Click "Save Seats"

Thank you, that worked!

Can you or someone else please confirm that you don't need any special El Al membership level or anything in order to get Row 10?

As mentioned, I'm traveling on a mileage ticket (via AA) and I don't want to arrive at the airport and be told I'm being bumped to a middle seat because the seats in row 10 were given to someone important...

Also, ffr, Step 1 works but it leads you to a Hebrew page only. There is another way to get there(in English) : Homepage/Manage My Booking/Seat Selection. Then enter details and follow the rest of your exact instructions!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Glad it worked out!
The Hebrew page should only happen if you're in Israel and you haven't saved English as your preferred language.

If you're in the USA, it should be in English by default. That it's not is classic LY!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:55 am

Glad it worked out!
The Hebrew page should only happen if you're in Israel and you haven't saved English as your preferred language.

If you're in the USA, it should be in English by default. That it's not is classic LY!
Nope, not in Israel (or Middle East), nor USA...

Do you (or anyone else) know re Mileage ticket/row 10, etc?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracks
Nope, not in Israel (or Middle East), nor USA...

Do you (or anyone else) know re Mileage ticket/row 10, etc?
If you're not allowed to sit there, the system won't let you choose it (or more likely, it will show it as occupied).
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:24 am

Hello, I am flying EL AL next month from JFK-TLV on a 747 in Y class and I saw on here there is AVOD. However a very close friend of mine is a flight attendant for EL AL and she confirmed that was not the case and it was not on demand but looping video. Can someone please confirm this further? I believe my friend and all but she completely condtradicted what was said above and what was said on Seatguru.com

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejack777
Hello, I am flying EL AL next month from JFK-TLV on a 747 in Y class and I saw on here there is AVOD. However a very close friend of mine is a flight attendant for EL AL and she confirmed that was not the case and it was not on demand but looping video. Can someone please confirm this further? I believe my friend and all but she completely condtradicted what was said above and what was said on Seatguru.com

Thanks
In Y, it's looped entertainment on the 747. Your FA friend is correct
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Yes, but it is multi-channel looped video.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Yes, but it is multi-channel looped video.
Which I believe is always the case with PTVs
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
I think that ELE (and maybe ELH) has AVOD though
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LY777
I think that ELE (and maybe ELH) has AVOD though
Not in Y
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:29 pm

I am debating to purchase a ticket with EL AL (economy special fares) from EWR to TLV or from United. I tried to look at the EL AL point system, but could not figure out how many points I would receive from this flight.

I wonder if I should just fly with united and earn miles there that I know I can use.

Any suggestions? If this would be my only flight with EL AL, what I could do with the points accrued? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
El Al points earned by flying (as opposed to points earned from partners such as Hertz) disappear after three years -- even if you have take later flights.

I doubt that you will ever be able to do anything with the points earned on one r/t flight to the States in Economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.