Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sabbasolo
Feel free to pitch in with edits for content, additional posts and threads to be linked in the wiki, or general clean up - but please be as accurate and clear as possible!

WELCOME TO THE FLYERTALK EL AL MATMID THREAD! THIS IS A COMMUNITY-MAINTAINED WIKI FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT EL AL, MATMID, ELAL.COM, AND THE LY FT THREAD. PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING!

This thread is FLAME-FREE! Please recognize newbies who are posting here as well, and respond accordingly!!

Help me understand FlyerTalk and EL AL Matmid Forum lingo!

Flying with EL AL?
Frequent flyer with EL AL?
Need to contact EL AL?
Want general information about EL AL?
EL AL Online:

Important Threads From the Matmid forum!
Another FT thread: Traveling in Israel, for help navigating transportation in Israel

And from EL AL's website: Fly a Lot? EL AL Offers You a Ticket Pack
Upgrade to Premium Classes On-Board Your Flight!

Have a question? Do a SEARCH! Before posting a new thread, search first! There are 2 ways of searching FlyerTalk!
  1. Inside the specific forum, click on "Search this Forum" for results from within the El Al Matmid forum. To search all of FlyerTalk, click on "Search" located above the forum.
  2. By using Google. Duh! To search FT using Google, first type "site:www.flyertalk.com," and then a space, and then type what you want to search. (Leave out the quotation marks and comma!)
Searched? Can't find what you're looking for? Posting a new thread is simple. Try giving a descriptive title, and try not reviving really old threads! Note of caution: Posting in mega-threads (threads that may have been merged, or have posts from a wide range of years,) may not yield results.
Print Wikipost

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Does row 22 have any good seats on the 772?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Does row 22 have any good seats on the 772?
They do.
See http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/El_...ng_777-200.php
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ELAL
I saw that, but the LY map indicates 21C is in front of 22C, not 22B, making 22B the extra legroom seat.
It also shows a row in the middle (21) in front of 22, indicating 21 is the bulkhead, not 22
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:50 pm

So, I really got nailed...checked-in for my flight in Tel Aviv and El Al charged for for my second bag on my Jet Blue flight which I was taking from JFK to SEA. I argued that I had called JetBlue who said El Al's rules apply and the MSC part but they told me the computer wouldn't allow them to put it through without charging me. I argued but then gave up. The worst part is, they charged me $115 (!) even though I found out Jet Blue's second bag fee is $50. I've sent them an e-mail to clarify how this happened and have yet to hear back.
I'm now worried about my return on AA out of Seattle, although that flight even has an El Al flight number and I think they have at least a partnership, unlike Jet Blue...

Originally Posted by jonj
Great - thanks so much for the help!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonj
So, I really got nailed...checked-in for my flight in Tel Aviv and El Al charged for for my second bag on my Jet Blue flight which I was taking from JFK to SEA. I argued that I had called JetBlue who said El Al's rules apply and the MSC part but they told me the computer wouldn't allow them to put it through without charging me. I argued but then gave up. The worst part is, they charged me $115 (!) even though I found out Jet Blue's second bag fee is $50. I've sent them an e-mail to clarify how this happened and have yet to hear back.
I'm now worried about my return on AA out of Seattle, although that flight even has an El Al flight number and I think they have at least a partnership, unlike Jet Blue...
File for a refund with LY, and if that doesn't work, dispute the credit card charge
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:48 pm

What seats would you recommend on the 777 Business Class? And which should I stay away from?

In the rear business cabin, is the proximity to economy (and crying babies) a problem?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Is there a way to say Business Class award availability using Matmid points?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by tracks
What seats would you recommend on the 777 Business Class? And which should I stay away from?

In the rear business cabin, is the proximity to economy (and crying babies) a problem?
I would say that row 10 is the best, with row 12 the worst (it has tons of legroom, however its near the toilets so there tends to be congestion that usually bothers me when I'm seated there).
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by gordo6
I would say that row 10 is the best, with row 12 the worst (it has tons of legroom, however its near the toilets so there tends to be congestion that usually bothers me when I'm seated there).
Thank you.

I see that 10 would be good, but according to this row 12 isn't nearer to the toilets thank row 11. So between 11 and 12 which would you pick?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:10 pm

Anyone have experience dealing with El Al (Business) seating arrangements with a ticket via AA mileage?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by gordo6
Thanks.

According to this seat 12 is further from the toilets that row 11.

Would you recommend being in 11 more so than 12, because it's in a forward cabin?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracks
Anyone have experience dealing with El Al (Business) seating arrangements with a ticket via AA mileage?
Get your LY PNR from AA and call LY directly

(You can try finding the reservation on the website, but I'm not sure that will work)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:23 am

Get your LY PNR from AA and call LY directly

(You can try finding the reservation on the website, but I'm not sure that will work)
Is PNR same as Amadeus code?

I did so and El Al told me they can't do it, only AA. AA had told me the opposite...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The LY PNR is the Amadeus code which I don't think AA uses.

Did you get a PNR from AA? Is that the PNR you're using, or did you specifically request the LY PNR from AA, as opposed to AA's own PNR?

(PNR is the Passenger Name Record, and when dealing with flights on different airlines, or codeshares, etc., each airline has their own unique PNR to look up a flight in their system.)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:04 am

The LY PNR is the Amadeus code which I don't think AA uses.

Did you get a PNR from AA? Is that the PNR you're using, or did you specifically request the LY PNR from AA, as opposed to AA's own PNR?

(PNR is the Passenger Name Record, and when dealing with flights on different airlines, or codeshares, etc., each airline has their own unique PNR to look up a flight in their system.)

AA (obviously) knew I'm flying El Al and gave me an Amadeus code which El Al accepted with no probs over the phone, but they said to change seats I need to contact AA since they issued the ticket (not their exact words). I told them AA said the opposite but the impolite woman just said they are wrong and goodbye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.