Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Hah, nice.

I saw Monkey 47 at Whole Foods over the weekend. It was $45 for a small bottle. Which doesn't help you, I realize...
Thanks! Will be in US in November, so I'll keep an eye open then.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
Thanks! Will be in US in November, so I'll keep an eye open then.
Where in the US? Whole Foods usually has a nice selection but there are also good local liquor stores that may be cheaper/have a better selection.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:23 am

Boston area.

In the SFO bay area I have been quote happy with the "The Wine Club" but havn't looked if they have setup shop on the east cost as well.

EDIT:// just checked, seems they are not part of a chain, so no luck in Boston

Last edited by fassy; Aug 11, 2015 at 10:32 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boston area.

In the SFO bay area I have been quote happy with the "The Wine Club" but havn't looked if they have setup shop on the east cost as well.

EDIT:// just checked, seems they are not part of a chain, so no luck in Boston
Ah. Don't know Boston. Check out whole foods, or just ask people what a good liquor store is.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ck777
My next purchase will be:
Martin Miller Westbourn Strength (which I can't find around here). I'm going to pick up a non westbourn strength, which is easy to find for me.
St. Geogre Dry Rye Gin
Plymouth: I better keep a bottle around the house
I have been enjoying St. George Terroir of late - in variations on the Spruce Goose cocktail.

For a plain G&T I like the local Death's Door gin but it might be too heavy on the botanicals for some.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Been a fan of Monkey 47 for quite a while and always bring a few bottles back from Germany. Think I may have preferred it when it was less well known!

Also like g'vine nouaison and an Australian gin called 4 pillars.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by chad75
Been a fan of Monkey 47 for quite a while [...] Think I may have preferred it when it was less well known!
It changes the taste of a product if more people know/like it - the taste of exclusivity?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:32 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
It changes the taste of a product if more people know/like it - the taste of exclusivity?
Nope - just the price!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA; AC; HHonors; SPG; BA
Blue Gin from Austria would be my choice. It is made from 27 botanicals by Hans Reisetbauer. Hans Reisetbauer is Austria's most awarded Distiller.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, AA Platinum, Air France Platinum for Life,
Definitely the BOMBAY SAPPHIRE.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Tanqueray Rangpur. First tried this at Wynn LV and haven't looked back since. It has a slight rangpur lime flavor that makes it great in a martini, G&T, or just on the rocks. ABV 41.3% as opposed to regular Tanqueray which is 47.3%, and it is very smooth.
I used to drink Tanqueray Rangpur quite a bit -- I felt the lime notes got lost when you tried to mix it with anything (including tonic water), but it was great by itself on the rocks.

I tasted it again last week for the first time in over four years. (I just returned from an extended assignment in Singapore, where my gin options were more limited.) Maybe the intervening years have exaggerated my memory of the taste, but it seems like the lime flavor is more subtle than I remember. Still good, though.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Supermarket Gin tastes best!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...-lidl-waitrose
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Baritone73
I used to drink Tanqueray Rangpur quite a bit -- I felt the lime notes got lost when you tried to mix it with anything (including tonic water), but it was great by itself on the rocks.

I tasted it again last week for the first time in over four years. (I just returned from an extended assignment in Singapore, where my gin options were more limited.) Maybe the intervening years have exaggerated my memory of the taste, but it seems like the lime flavor is more subtle than I remember. Still good, though.
Based on some of the comments in this thread, Dad and I opened up a bottle of Tanqueray Rangpur this week. We both thought the citrus flavor was WAY too aggressive. It was almost like it was pre-mixed with Sprite or something.

We were having it plain, on the rocks. I am going to try it as a G&T next, but cannot see myself purchasing any more of it.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Favorite Gin

Not to revive an old thread, but based on this thread I bought a few bottles of monkey 47 when I came across it a little bit ago. The stuff is amazing. Really fantastic. Thanks to all for the rec.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Plymouth is great as is Hendricks. Currently working on a bottle of Brooklyn Gin. Also consider Bootlegger 21.

Seeing the reviews for Minkey, I have to find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.