Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gin

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I’m with you on a preference for Plymouth. Interesting insight on the cucumber aspect of Hendricks. I hadn’t noticed it before, but will try to pay attention if I have the occasion to try it again.

I’m still in amazement of your post about the price of Monkey 47 at $47.99. How appropriate!
Funny, every time I've had Hendricks I mostly taste cucumber...but I haven't had it in a long time so maybe I'm misremembering.

https://www.mainespirits.com/product...rzwald-dry-gin
Old May 21, 2021, 11:31 am

Must say that when bottles start getting sold in duty free size (ie 1L) you know you’re no longer aiming at premium. At least here in Europe (Norway/UK) it still just comes as a 0.5L.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Must say that when bottles start getting sold in duty free size (ie 1L) you know you’re no longer aiming at premium. At least here in Europe (Norway/UK) it still just comes as a 0.5L.
It’s economizing!

The standard bottle size in the US is 750ml, which many people still call “a fifth” because it’s close to the 1/5 gallon size (757 ml) that liquor used to come in before the early/mid 20th century.

edit: of course there’s a Wikipedia article. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_(unit)
Old May 22, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Yeah, London Dry is just the name for the style of gin. The only other style I'm aware of (I'm sure there are more) is Plymouth. Now, there is only one distiller of Plymouth gin. Plymouth is usually my go to. It's less juniper-centric but there is still juniper in it. Fun fact: London Dry can be made anywhere but Plymouth has to be made in Plymouth, England.

I mean, technically I think gin is just a neutral spirit (i.e., vodka) with botanicals. There's no reason you can't have a cucumber-flavored gin. It's just not what people think of when they think gin, usually.
Plymouth gin... never heard of that... I guess I'll give that a go!
Old May 22, 2021, 6:59 pm

I had a Plymouth G&T with dinner tonight at a restaurant.
GadgetFreak and gfunkdave like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Calcifer
I recently bought a bottle of Four Pillars' Olive Branch gin, lured in by its marketing as savory. So far I've only had one drink from it but I quite enjoyed it as a G&T with Fevertree light cucumber tonic (it's the only gin I've had where the cucumber in the tonic comes through as a taste, rather than just an aroma).
Probably better in a martini but I’d lean towards agree8ng with them and garnishing with a cocktail onion (ie, a Gibson) rather than an olive as the olive on olive can be a bit much unless you’re making in dirty

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Agree that in a g&t most new gins can be a bit wasted. Better to invest in proper tonic water.

Favourite gins: Inverroche (South African cape botanicals); made right excellent in a martini. Fauna: Norwegian gin, my now go to - works equally well in martini and gt/gin fizz and Monkey 47. Latter is still my favourite and sits in Norway at the price point between the two aforementioned. It did appear to have quite steep price increases but that appear to have subsided. Best use is for a martini and creates a relatively complex tasting one.
I miss my inverroche. I got a taste for it in 2019 when I was there and had a team of people going back and forth regularly keeping me supplied but then covid hit and destroyed my supply line.

We usually have about 10 gins on rotation at home with the following being our ‘greatest hits’ so we’d have 5 or so other bottles rotating through.

G&T - Nikka Coffey
Negroni - Four pillars negroni gin
Martini (dry with twist) - Martin Miller westbourne strength
Martini (dry, savoury) - Four pillars olive leaf
Sipping - SAS distillery Angelicus (can only get this in Belgium and covid causing supplies to be dangerously low as well)
Stock/versatile/value - Tanqueray
pseudoswede and Calcifer like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I had a Plymouth G&T with dinner tonight at a restaurant.
The official gin of the Royal Navy.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
The official gin of the Royal Navy.
Additional interesting Plymouth info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Gin
Old May 31, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have been enjoying the Roku with tonic and lime.

I paid around $30 for it. Quire floral. The Brockmans will probably get opened next week. I think it was between $30 and $35.
I was in a restaurant last week and went to the bar to view the gins that they carried. Started a conversation with the bartender who lined up all of the gins they had, of which Roku was one. I said that I only became aware of it recently, so he offered me a sample. I was impressed and I’ll consider getting a g&t with it next I’m in a restaurant that has it.

This restaurant has a small bar and only had about 6 gins. When I mentioned Plymouth, the bartender said that he wished they had it, but they have a limited amount for shelf space.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Bombay Sapphire now makes a "Bramble" version infused with blackberries and raspberries. It's delicious with just tonic. It'll be even better once we get some mint growing in the garden along with a slice of lime.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:33 pm

Unhappy

I use an empty Plymouth Gin bottle as a cold water container in the fridge. Perfect size, perfect fit, easy to remove top - key when your arm is in a cast.

Worked out great till a Zoom call when I refilled my ever present 32 oz Yeti water tumbler
from something that looked like a full Plymouth Gin bottle.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:09 pm

Question Favorite Gin

Hello Gin Mavens,

New news = My all time fave is one that I just tasted while vacationing in the pacific northwest, north of Seattle near the Cascade mountains.
https://bellewoodfarms.com/distillery

Front of Bellewood Farms

They sell 2 types. This was my fave.

Inside - Distillery is to the left. Large cafe and beautiful outside space is to the right. Beautiful place for brunch and a drink with a view of Mt. Baker.

I visited on a weekday and was able to talk with the master distiller who explained why he used these spices and then aged it a certain way.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 9, 2021 at 7:40 am Reason: Removed Dubai duty-free question to put in its own thread
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for sharing! Looks beautiful and something I'd love to put on my to-do list when visiting the area.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Thanks for sharing! Looks beautiful and something I'd love to put on my to-do list when visiting the area.
Originally Posted by MareLuce
Hello Gin Mavens,

New news = My all time fave is one that I just tasted while vacationing in the pacific northwest, north of Seattle near the Cascade mountains.
https://bellewoodfarms.com/distillery

Front of Bellewood Farms

They sell 2 types. This was my fave.

Inside - Distillery is to the left. Large cafe and beautiful outside space is to the right. Beautiful place for brunch and a drink with a view of Mt. Baker.

I visited on a weekday and was able to talk with the master distiller who explained why he used these spices and then aged it a certain way.
Looks like where a visit is on “ To Do “ list for the next visit to the PNW . Thanks for sharing , will let my friends know . Wonder how many of my Seattlelite friends have been ? They will need a raffle to bring us or visit multiple times with various 😉 .

Looks like another lovely evening in the area .
MareLuce likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone use a website (or two) with gin reviews that you trust?

Total Wines was pushing Greenall's Gin. It was priced comparably to other mid-level gins, so I gave it a shot. After drinking a G&T with it, I began searching the web. One review website gave it a great score when used in a dry martini; another website gave it a 0/5 rating for use in a dry martini. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of beholder.

My personal review: the best word to describe it is inoffensive. Absolutely fine in a G&T, but maybe too bland (clean?) for many. Maybe I'll see how it is in a gimlet (I'm not much of a martini drinker). Given that it's priced so close to Bombay Sapphire (ironically also contracted to Greenall's to produce) and Tanqueray, I think I'll keep buying the latter two going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.