Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Recently I have enjoyed Hendrick's. Quite tasty.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Off the beaten path and not previously mentioned, Schilchte produces a Steinhaeger Gin. Germany and Gin aren't two thoughts normally associated with each other, but it's worth a taste if you are a Gin aficionado.

Availability may be limited -- the corner establishment likely doesn't carry it -- large retail and German restaurants may be your best chance.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am a big fan of Tanqueray Rangpur - with slim line tonic and a dash of lime!

Regards
AKS120
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum
Berry Bros. No. 3, it is simply amazing. Have had a tasting with it compared to all the other top brands and it simply blows them away. Nowadays my mates and I can finish the bottle if there's more than 3 of us! Otherwise I am more than partial to Sapphire
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:10 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm not a fan of gin, and can't drink Bombay Sapphire (almond), although Mr. Kipper enjoys gin occasionally. However, thanks to a bottle of Tanqueray, a broken pint glass, and one of his friends who was great at concocting tales, I realized that I really loved Mr. Kipper.

Long story short, I told Mr. Kipper I thought I wanted to break up (before we were married). He and a friend picked up alcohol, and Mr. Kipper drank about 1/4 of the bottle of Tanqueray. He tried to put ice into a pint glass, broke the glass, cut his wrist a bit. I call an hour or so later, Mr. Kipper is sound asleep, but his friend answers the phone, convinces me that he's passed out, has had massive blood loss, etc. I panic, and am ready to drive the 7 hours to see him to tell him I love him, only to talk to him a few minutes later and find out his friend was stretching the truth.

It did take Mr. Kipper about 2 years to be able to drink gin again after that night. We do still have the bottle of Tanqueray though.
EXPLAT likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've just discovered Plymouth Gin, coinciding with my recent discovery of the martini. Plymouth is a different style gin - it's Plymouth style as opposed to the London Dry gin I've always had. I didn't know there were different styles.

In any case, Plymouth is great in martinis. Its flavor is much more subtle. Whereas London Dry gins are very "HERE'S THE JUNIPER!", Plymouth is much more reserved with Juniper. It's great!

--Gfunkdave, getting into the sauce
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by thelark
Tanqueray 10 followed by Sapphire.
Now changed to Hendrick's
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Taz
Definitely Hendriks for me, although I prefer it with Perrier & lime rather than tonic. Tonic seems to pretty much overpower the subtle flavors of Hendriks.

Bombay Sapphire will do in a pinch.

Darn, now I'm thirsty - off to mix a Hendriks martini.
I usually do Hendrick's as a martini, though if you are going to use tonic, try Fever Tree.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by thelark
I usually do Hendrick's as a martini, though if you are going to use tonic, try Fever Tree.
Or Q Tonic. Anything other than the super-sweet HFCS-based ones. ^
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:37 pm

Thanks, i need to get a jug of Plymouth.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
It did take Mr. Kipper about 2 years to be able to drink gin again after that night. We do still have the bottle of Tanqueray though.
What a sweet story. ^ I played in a My Fair Lady pit orchestra amateur production a few decades ago and heard Eliza say:

Mrs. Eynsford-Hill: But it can't have been right for your father to be pouring spirits down her throat like that, it could have killed her.
Eliza Doolittle: Not her, gin was mother's milk to her. Besides he poured so much down his own throat, he knew the good of it.
Lord Boxington: Do you mean he drank?
Eliza Doolittle: Drank? My word something chronic.

EXPLAT likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:58 pm

Sapphire
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howie721
For the price, I am a fan of New Amsterdam. Its relatively inexpensive and it has a nice looking bottle. The taste has a bit of a citrus twist but I like that.
A friend recently told me to get a bottle of New Amsterdam, saying the same thing about its citrusy overtones. For $18, it's a great deal. I like it in G&T a lot.

For martinis, I like Plymouth the best.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Liking the Hendrick's lately too. Sometimes it is served with a cucumber slice and it is interestingly very good that way
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
We always stock 209 (local SFO gin), Old Raj and Berry Bros. and Rudd No. 3, all of which we love, but I was up in Portland and had a fantastic gin from Spokane, WA of all places, named Dry Fly. I am really looking forward to trying it again when I am up in Portland next month. Dry Fly has a very distinct and delicious flavor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.