Reload this Page >

Favorite Gin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
I need to give Hendriks a try based on all the posts here.
Likewise. Tanquerray is my fav, but may have to meander about, gin-wise.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Don't know. Probably they didn't sell enough of it fast enough, were under capitalized and like a lot of small businesses, couldn't get loans after the banking collapse. wj
It's still being sold, as far as I know. They have it at Bevmo and the site is still up. See:

http://www.209gin.com/index2.html

My husband recently took a tour of the distillery. Have you heard that it is going away?
Old May 1, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I'm surprised that none among us has recalled the "gins" which are traditionally used as benchmarks for the bottom of the rankings, notorious "Lucky Tiger" and infamous "Oso Negro".

The mere thought of either conjures images of Olongapo City on a murky night or Piedras Negras on a sun-blasted afternoon to my mind. Those are not good images, even when summoned by the thought of really bad gin.

The quality of generally available tonic waters, especially that horrible crud which oozes from the nozzles of most saloons has descended below the barely drinkable.
Old May 1, 2010, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
It's still being sold, as far as I know. They have it at Bevmo and the site is still up. See:

http://www.209gin.com/index2.html

My husband recently took a tour of the distillery. Have you heard that it is going away?
I'm sorry I'm definitely wrong. I'll get the lowdown Monday. 2 separate liquor salesman told me they were done about 9 months ago. We weren't able to get it either. Maybe they got a fresh cash infusion or maybe they just moved to another distributor and my guys lied to me (a liquor salesman lie - c'est impossible !) Anyhoo, I'll be happy to get it back in. wj
Old May 1, 2010, 6:16 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
Definitely Hendriks for me, although I prefer it with Perrier & lime rather than tonic. Tonic seems to pretty much overpower the subtle flavors of Hendriks.

Bombay Sapphire will do in a pinch.

Darn, now I'm thirsty - off to mix a Hendriks martini.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:13 pm

Bombay Sapphire, it's what turned me onto gin.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA, DL

Very Tasty. I strongly suggest anyone who has a chance, try it.
Old May 2, 2010, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I'm sorry I'm definitely wrong. I'll get the lowdown Monday. 2 separate liquor salesman told me they were done about 9 months ago. We weren't able to get it either. Maybe they got a fresh cash infusion or maybe they just moved to another distributor and my guys lied to me (a liquor salesman lie - c'est impossible !) Anyhoo, I'll be happy to get it back in. wj
Whew! 209 is definitely one of my favorites, though I'm growing more and more fond of Martin Miller's.
Old May 8, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL
I like Bombay Sapphire as a typical gin. Hendrick's and Plymouth are both wonderful and differently so. I'm also quite fond of Aviation, Bluecoat, and recently Bulldog has been growing on me...
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: PC Plat Amb, KrisFlyer, BMI, OnePass, Flying Blue, MilleMiglia
Gordons for me - I don't like Bombay Sapphire at all
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to go with Hendrick's as well.

Of course, I am now having a Hendrick's and tonic...
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
I found myself liking the Bombay Sapphire gin especially in the summer... I confess that I am a beginner when it comes to gin, but I will try some of the recommendations that are given in this forum
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Been looking for a gin from Estonia called Reval for quite a while but haven't had any luck. Anyone ever seen/had it?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Love Beefeater 24, particularly with some interesting bitters stirred on ice (Old Fashioned style). For people in the UK, also definitely try Sipsmith, made without filtration in an all-copper still.

For places without such limited spirits, I like Hendricks (particularly in summer) and Tanqueray 10. In a normal house pub I actually prefer Gordons to any of the slightly more upmarket spirits.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: Any and All
Tanqueray Ten is my favorite, but I enjoy Sapphire and even some Beefeaters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.