I am quite a G&T fan myself. My favourites are:

- Martin Miller's
- The Duke (Munich Gin)
- Hendricks
- Citadelle
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Favorite Gin

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mayfair gin. It's out of the UK somewhere, but also available in the states. Good stuff. Mellow flavor.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:02 am

Not a gin connoisseur but I found Hendricks quite tasty, better than Bombay.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
I recently received a bottle of Gin Mare from a Spanish colleague (furnished as evidence that not all spanish gin is as dull as Larios) and it's fabulous. It has a peculiar savoury note, which I believe is from olives, that works surprisingly well. Drinking it at the moment as a G&T but I can see it working really well in a martini also.

I also recently finished a bottle of Sipsmith VJOP (Very Junipery Over Proof), which made a great G&T but could've knocked out a horse as a martini or negroni.

I tend to have one nice gin and one house gin on the go. House gin for us is generally Beefeater, with the exception of when the Father in Law visits and insists upon Gordon's (he arrives with a couple of bottles and leaves what he doesn't finish so I can't complain).
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
Always Sapphire Gin. Specifically, a Sapphire martini with 2 blue cheese olives. That always makes me feel more at home regardless of where I am at.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by FinalCallDXB
I recently received a bottle of Gin Mare from a Spanish colleague (furnished as evidence that not all spanish gin is as dull as Larios) and it's fabulous. It has a peculiar savoury note, which I believe is from olives, that works surprisingly well. Drinking it at the moment as a G&T but I can see it working really well in a martini also.

I also recently finished a bottle of Sipsmith VJOP (Very Junipery Over Proof), which made a great G&T but could've knocked out a horse as a martini or negroni.

I tend to have one nice gin and one house gin on the go. House gin for us is generally Beefeater, with the exception of when the Father in Law visits and insists upon Gordon's (he arrives with a couple of bottles and leaves what he doesn't finish so I can't complain).
Gin Mare is excellent, very dry, makes perfect martinis. Lately I was surprised by a portuguese gin called Sharish - 5 stars! Google it as its hard to find.

Last edited by pvdecastro; Mar 15, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:18 pm

Best gin bar I know is located in Porto, Portugal https://www.facebook.com/theginhouse?fref=nf , over 200 different gins from all around the world and great bartenders !
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by JFSV
I am quite a G&T fan myself. My favourites are:

- Martin Miller's
- The Duke (Munich Gin)
- Hendricks
- Citadelle
Originally Posted by TravelingBear
Not a gin connoisseur but I found Hendricks quite tasty, better than Bombay.
Originally Posted by OceanAir
Always Sapphire Gin. Specifically, a Sapphire martini with 2 blue cheese olives. That always makes me feel more at home regardless of where I am at.
Love Sapphire especially with Blue Cheese stuffed olives -but Hendricks is really growing on me. Even tried the cucumber garnish
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold
How is it that I've been on flyertalk all these years and never noticed this thread (I don't come into this forum very much)

Ahhh Gin....I love it as much as I love airplanes and jazz (I was a jazz studies major).

I'm not going to narrow this down to just one but will list several that I'm drinking right now. Also, I'm not sure I'm allowed to post this link but there is a really good gin blog, where I've gotten a lot of ideas to purchase my latest bottles. theginisin.com

I'm in the U.S. so you'll see more craft gin's from here. But, I can't wait to try others from around the world.

Plymouth: I like it. What a wonderful everyday gin. It's great in a G&T and I just finished a bottle last night (no I didn't drink the whole bottle in one night).

Green Hat Gin - Winter Ginavet - This is from Washington, DC, where I live, so not sure you can find it elsewhere. Wow...this is such a unique wonderfully flavored gin. Don't mix it with tonic. Enjoy it neat or I like to have 1 ice cube...it's a great night cap. It's readly available in the bars in DC, so if you are in the area, have one!

Blue Water Distilling (Washington State) Halycon Gin: If you live in the NW, do yourself a favor and grab this bottle. It makes an incredible G&T with Fever Tree. My wonderful wife ordered me 2 bottles for x-mas. Shipping wasn't cheap but it's worth it.

Barr Hill Gin (Vermont): This is another gin I like neat or with 1 ice cube. There is a hint of honey in the gin that creates a wonderful smooth finish. It's not sweat but has a really nice balance. Another unique gin that I love to have around.

My next purchase will be:
Martin Miller Westbourn Strength (which I can't find around here). I'm going to pick up a non westbourn strength, which is easy to find for me.
St. Geogre Dry Rye Gin
Plymouth: I better keep a bottle around the house

Wish List:
Vor (Iceland) not available in the US yet: I have a friend going in a couple of weeks and have asked for him to bring me a bottle
Ive City Gin (Washington, DC): It's not out yet but am anxious to have another local gin

Admittingly, I went to the blog I posted above and am trying the gins that are rated 5 starts; it's good fun.

I do like Hendricks but having fun trying other stuff.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Like ck777, I can't believe I've missed a gin thread too.

Tanqueray Ten gin is my preferred martini gin. Dry, with two lightly brined manzanilla olives (unpitted). Stunning, and quickly draws the martini veil over the world.

I tried Monkey47 neat recently and loved it as a digestive gin.

Regular Tanqueray gin works well in a G&T. Fever Tree Tonic (the blue label "lightly sweetened" variety) is my preferred tonic water, but that variety can be hard to come by.

Hendricks gin is also very good.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
One that hasn't been mentioned on here so far...

Recently picked up a bottle of Nolet's gin and really liking it. Very smooth and drinkable over ice. Balanced flavor. Not so juniper focused. It is there, but more mellow. ^
I think it was ~$50

Monkey 47 still my favorite, but still not easy to find in the USA and big bucks when you do.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
One that hasn't been mentioned on here so far...

Recently picked up a bottle of Nolet's gin and really liking it. Very smooth and drinkable over ice. Balanced flavor. Not so juniper focused. It is there, but more mellow. ^
I think it was ~$50

Monkey 47 still my favorite, but still not easy to find in the USA and big bucks when you do.
I don't like Nolet - it tastes overpoweringly of flowers to me.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For those who like Bombay Sapphire, it's worthwhile trying the recently released Star of Bombay featuring extra bergamot.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:10 am
Suspended

Another vote for Hendricks - with Schweppes Tonic and a slice of cucumber.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Favorite Gin

I'm not a huge gin drinker. Or much of a gin drinker at all. But I'm a huge fan of the Old Tom gin by Ransom. It's barrel aged and great up with a twist. It's not as junipery as some of the gins I've had so maybe that's why I like it.
Fdw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.