Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:45 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by violist
Probably Sapphire, but Sir Robert Burnett's, synthesized in the
Baltimore area and likely the cheapest gin you will ever buy,
is pleasant. Carol prefers Plymouth, though I've turned her on
to Burnett's as well.
Burnett is in a green plastic bottle right? If it is the one I am thinking of, one day in the liquor store I asked the fellow there what he bought..

He said he liked all the name brands; sapphire, tagueray, etc. He then reached over and told me to try this one. I was hesitant as it was in a plastic green bottle , however I bought it and I have been buying it every since. Great taste for the money
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
What qualities do you like in your favourite gin? I'm interested in whether you use the same gin in all drinks or sometimes prefer one for particular cocktails.

Have you tried a couple of your favourite drinks back-to-back with different gin? (All in the name of food science ).

I'd buy Gordon's or similar but don't understand the differences at the moment.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:56 pm

Beefeater is still my favorite with Hendrick's as a runner-up.

Bobette
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People in the mixologist trade are probably better-positioned to advise on different gins and drinks. Anyone care to comment on gins in cocktails, rather than G&Ts?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:17 am

I'm in the SK lounge in OSL finding this timely thread as I'm sipping a Beefeater G&T with a slice of lemon on my way to DUB

I normally buy Tanqueray, and I guess I'm one of the few people that don't favour Bombay Sapphire...
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for Schwepps.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
It's only made in small quantities and hard to find even in its supposed distribution area, but my first choice would be Dogfish Head Jin, (that's a deliberate misspelling by the folks at Dogfish Head) made at a small distillery in Delaware.

Of the readily available gins, I'd probably make Bombay Sapphire my first choice.
I agree with the Dogfish. It's a Deleware micro brew pub with two or three locations in DE and one in Maryland about 3 miles from my house. They have some awesome beers (the Midas Touch and 90 minute IPA are great). They also distill their own Gin & Vodka. A bold move for a beer maker. The Gin is suprisingly good. They fall short on their Vodka but hey, as Meatloaf said "Baby two outta three ain't bad".
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Bombay (regular) is very good.
Hendricks is very good
Sapphire is what I like over a few rocks, with a twist - I prefer regular Bombay in a mixed drink
Tanqueray (regular) reminds me of what jet fuel would taste like if I had tasted jet fuel
Tanqueray Ten isn't awful, but I've had better bar well gin.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Tanqueray
Old Jul 15, 2007, 7:50 am

Plymouth is a great all-purpose gin - works great in just about everything. We keep in in the house for mixed drinks and traditional martinis. We also keep a bottle of my personal favorite - Hendricks - but as others have mentioned, it's a million times better if you have some fresh cucumber to use as garnish, etc. My Friday night drink is a Hendricks martini with a couple of thin slices of cucumber rather than olive or twist.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll vote Tanqueray for now but will try to come up with a good alternative, in the next few weeks, purely by taste rather than marketing placement. ^
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:39 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Hendricks in a G+T, with Q tonic, and a slice of lemon or lime (depending on the mood).

Sapphire in a martini, straight up, nice and dry.

I don't sip gin or most any white spirit (except for the finest American tax-free whiskey), so no comment there.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Citadel Gin, made in France, very herbal, outstanding and not expensive.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy
Citadel Gin, made in France, very herbal, outstanding and not expensive.
After 15 months, you beat me to my answer by less than 15 minutes! Citadel makes an excellent martini with a twist.

Tanqueray Ten is an indulgent, but delicious, G&T, so I usually just use the regular stuff (been enjoying a lot of those this month...just been in the mood).

I've heard a lot about Hendrick's recently, so maybe I'll try that next time I'm up for experimenting.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Beefeater Crown Jewel!

Tried this for the first time yesterday at the beautiful Coburg Bar at the Connaught. I'm normally a tall G&T guy but this was so good, I drank most of both of mine on the rocks! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.