Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is the Danish gin they use in the Gin Basil Smash at Le Lion?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:57 am

Smile

[QUOTE=fassy;26334478]
Last week I picked up another nice one: The Botanist. Very pure gin, nothing too fancy or special but if you are looking for a basic gin of high quality it definitly shines.

I like the Botanist too!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Bluecoat then Bombay Sapphire
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:56 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by durberville
Ungava gin. It's made in the Canadian North. Uniquely flavoured, and absolutely delicious.
Brought a bottle of this today in Tokyo - looking forward to trying it.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Found one in the liquor store that spoke to my FlyerTalk heart: "Aviation" Gin.
Also really liked the Art Deco type bottle.

Unfortunately, was not good. It was absent of any particular taste at all. Very bland when drinking on ice. Couldn't imagine it with a mixer...wouldn't taste it at all, I think. It was weird how "nothing" it tasted.

This one might actually just be thrown away...
Attached Images  
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chad75
Brought a bottle of this today in Tokyo - looking forward to trying it.
Looks like horsepiss, doesn't it? Tastes pretty good though.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:18 am

It's funny how 'in' gin is nowadays in Germany and Sweden. In every bigger groceries store in Hamburg you'll find 10 to 20 high end gins, in the smaller ones at least 2 to 3. All bars have huge gin menues.

Almost takes the fun out of it since every day you find some new interesting gin. I think my collection is already big enough for a lifetime by now. (Or I need more friends....)

btw, I really do not like the Ungava. Just bought it since they sold it with a cute winter jacket around it

Last edited by fassy; Apr 13, 2016 at 3:35 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fassy
It's funny how 'in' gin is nowadays in Germany and Sweden. In every bigger groceries store in Hamburg you'll find 10 to 20 high end gins, in the smaller ones at least 2 to 3. All bars have huge gin menues.

Almost takes the fun out of it since every day you find some new interesting gin. I think my collection is already big enough for a lifetime by now. (Or I need more friends....)

btw, I really do not like the Ungava. Just bought it since they sold it with a cute winter jacket around it
Ungava works really well as part of a French 75.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:47 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Looks like horsepiss, doesn't it? Tastes pretty good though.
I'm not sure if that pitch is the best one to win their marketing account.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chad75
I'm not sure if that pitch is the best one to win their marketing account.
Would "tastes like polar bear piss, and makes you think you are just as invincible" work?

Enjoying a bottle of that at home currently...it's almost happy hour!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Rather than pollute the vodka thread, I'll quote some posts in here...

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think New Amsterdam gin makes a great cocktail with tonic. They have citrusy elements that go well together. I bet the vodka is the same.
Originally Posted by JBord
The vodka seems pretty clean tasting to me. I'll have to try the gin though. I enjoy the London dry gins and do spend more for a nice gin, although I'm usually perfectly happy with Beefeater's too. My preferred martini is gin with a splash of vermouth. Since my wife likes them "shaken, not stirred", if we're both having one, I'll just make a double batch of vodka martinis in the shaker (olive juice in her glass), so I do drink those sometimes. Vodka tonics are probably my go-to vodka drink.
I was mildly curious about New Amsterdam gin since you could get a handle at Costco for about $20. Some reviews (albeit a few years ago) said New Amsterdam gin was "oily," which I cannot imagine being a very good quality for gin. I wonder if things are different now.

I think spending an extra $10 for Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray is worth it for a weeknight G&T. That said, if New Amsterdam has improved, I wouldn't mind saving $10.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I was mildly curious about New Amsterdam gin since you could get a handle at Costco for about $20. Some reviews (albeit a few years ago) said New Amsterdam gin was "oily," which I cannot imagine being a very good quality for gin. I wonder if things are different now.

I think spending an extra $10 for Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray is worth it for a weeknight G&T. That said, if New Amsterdam has improved, I wouldn't mind saving $10.
Honestly, I don't love the New Amsterdam gin. I just think it has citrusy elements that go well with tonic. As I recall it often gave me a headache too. I basically use Plymouth, and Bombay Sapphire if the store doesn't have Plymouth.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 8:24 pm

My cocktail of choice is a gin & tonic using either Plymouth or Tanqueray. I find Sapphire is too “floral” for my taste.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was just informed that today is National Gin & Tonic Day. Upon further research, it appears International Gin & Tonic Day is October 19.

But if we're being realistic, every day is gin & tonic day.

Cheers!
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Upon further research, it appears International Gin & Tonic Day is October 19.
My birthday. Perhaps I shall try and have gin and tonics in multiple countries to celebrate and be truly international.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.