Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
For drinking plain ? I like Blanton's

Good stuff.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I enjoy Bookers and Basil Hayden as well, but for an everyday, reasonably priced and flavorful bourbon I really like Russell's Reserve, a ten year old bourbon made by the folks at Wild Turkey.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This summer I'm enjoying Bulleit Bourbon http://www.bulleitbourbon.com/ and their Rye version too.

I bought it in NYC and carried it here to France. I almost never check bags when flying, but this was a worthy exception.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
This summer I'm enjoying Bulleit Bourbon http://www.bulleitbourbon.com/ and their Rye version too.

I bought it in NYC and carried it here to France. I almost never check bags when flying, but this was a worthy exception.
I've got maybe 50 or 60 Bourbons & Ryes in my bar. Bulliet Rye is among the best Ryes. Bulleit Bourbon is on the bottom end of my Bourbons in quality IMO. wj
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder with small batch bourbons if some batches are better than others. Why should we assume that every year the bourbon tastes the same with these brands?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:29 am

I wonder with small batch bourbons if some batches are better than others. Why should we assume that every year the bourbon tastes the same with these brands?
Good question. As long as they have the same formula & aging it should taste about the same. I think weather may change things a bit though. Hot-cold, dry-wet etc, can change the effect of the barrel on the whiskey - probably. wj
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Good question. As long as they have the same formula & aging it should taste about the same. I think weather may change things a bit though. Hot-cold, dry-wet etc, can change the effect of the barrel on the whiskey - probably. wj
There is weather. But I think the bigger issue is how these relatively small (compared to Beam or Turkey) businesses invest in quality control and ingredients.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:56 pm

There is weather. But I think the bigger issue is how these relatively small (compared to Beam or Turkey) businesses invest in quality control and ingredients.
I think smaller is better in just about everything consumable. Just look at wine - the smaller producers are 'hands on' and oversee everything. Their hearts and souls are in the product. The quality is very high and that's why they're expensive. I'm a big fan of micro-distillers, brewers, cheese makers, bakeries, farmers, sausage makers etc etc etc. wj
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I think smaller is better in just about everything consumable. Just look at wine - the smaller producers are 'hands on' and oversee everything.
Living in Burgundy I completely agree with the idea. But there are no guarantees that a given year will be good with wine as we have had two hailstorms wreck several plots of vines here this summer. It may be more weatherproof, but as well there are no guarantees with small batch bourbon.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:53 pm

Living in Burgundy I completely agree with the idea. But there are no guarantees that a given year will be good with wine as we have had two hailstorms wreck several plots of vines here this summer. It may be more weatherproof, but as well there are no guarantees with small batch bourbon.
With wine yes. With whiskey no. They don't have to use corn & rye from a specific commune, county, or state. They can access it from anywhere if they have to. That makes it MUCH easier to maintain quality year to year. wj
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

One of the best and most fun this I have done is a Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project tasting...

The premise is this: take the same recipe/batch of of bourbon; age it in barrels in which they subtler alter the characteristics of each barrel, ie location in the tree, varying degrees of char, etc etc... number each bottle and voila....

So I tasted 6 different barrelings... and each barrel had a different taste; some were more peppery than others.. Fun to taste; though a bit pricey...

FDW
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

I have had this one (a whole bottle actually), not bad at all.

My favorite of all time is Old Fitzgerald
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:03 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Has anyone tried Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Jim Beam Devil's Cut? Both look like they might be good "middle shelf" bourbons.

On the top shelf, I've heard good things about Jim Beam 1795 and Parker's Heritage Collection but haven't tried either.

I like Makers Mark or Elijah Craig for routine drinking and Bookers for top shelf.

Worst has to be Rebel Yell or Real McCoy. Gag!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Has anyone tried Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Jim Beam Devil's Cut? Both look like they might be good "middle shelf" bourbons.

On the top shelf, I've heard good things about Jim Beam 1795 and Parker's Heritage Collection but haven't tried either.

I like Makers Mark or Elijah Craig for routine drinking and Bookers for top shelf.

Worst has to be Rebel Yell or Real McCoy. Gag!
Just got a gift of Parker's Heritage Collection. Neat in a nosing glass I would put it two notches above Woodford reserve; a brand that I am too familiar with in the 50ml size.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Just got a gift of Parker's Heritage Collection. Neat in a nosing glass I would put it two notches above Woodford reserve; a brand that I am too familiar with in the 50ml size.
I forgot about that stuff ! I think that is the old Parker Beam 27 yr (they changed the name). Is it 96 proof and 27 years old ? It rocks ! wj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.