Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Are there many other Makers Mark ambassadors here?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm not but my husband is. We went down to the distillery last fall to dip his bottle from his matured barrel. Quite fun and great marketing on their part.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:53 pm

I forgot to mention 'Pritchards'. A ton of flavor in this guy. Not the 'best of the best', but not fur back either. wj
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sorry. I know a lot of people like Makers, but it tastes like glue to me. Taste bud issue I guess.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:38 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm a little curious about the programme. What are the benefits, and what is expected?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't think they have it outside the USA - nothing much is expected, but each year at Christmas they send promotional gifts: Makers Mark holiday cards, heavy plastic tumblers, wrapping paper, etc.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:18 pm

Jim Beam
I ain't got no taste, but I know what I like.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had Buffalo Trace last night for my first time. It wasn't great, not as sweet as I like, but not terrible either.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Timely bump! I'm enjoying some Woodford Reserve in the BA F lounge at LHR at this moment.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Timely bump! I'm enjoying some Woodford Reserve in the BA F lounge at LHR at this moment.
They no longer serve JW Blue?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:43 am

Blanton's ... yum.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I've been given a bottle of Basil Hayden's for Christmas and it is excellent. I usually order Maker's in bars as it is a sure thing but I'm going to start asking for Basil.

As for American whiskies I order Jack or Jim reflexively in bars or on planes -- prefer Jim actually -- but at home I buy and drink Evan Williams. Most of the palate for a fraction of the price, especially if you are mixing it. The Green Label goes in Cokes.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
They no longer serve JW Blue?
Yes, it was there too. But I am a bourbon drinker. Not a fan of Scotch.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:26 pm

Have to 2nd the nomination of George T Stagg & Black Maple Hill. I know this is a Bourbon thread, but last night I tried an 18 yr old Rye from Vermont (?) - Whistle Pig. Best Rye I've ever had. wj
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Mr H
I adore Bookers. It is very sweet and warming and the oiliness makes sure the flavour stays with you to the next morning. Sadly it's no longer available in the UK.

George T Stagg is wonderful too, but perhaps the rye bitterness would offend some. From the same stable, Sazerac Rye (not a Bourbon, I know) shows the true flavour of rye in the mashbill - a useful reference point. William Larue Weller, in the same stable, shows the toffee and chocolate flavours of a high class wheated whiskey.

Four Roses Single Barrel also gets my vote - sweet and complex.

Currently working through a bottle of Parker's Heritage Collection cask strength bourbon. Not in the same league as the Buffalo Trace offerings but good enough. Perhaps a wee bit astringent.

Worst was Mellow Corn (another not-Bourbon in the pure corn style). It started out nice but turned oily and cloying. Nasty. Can't say Rebel Yell did it for me either. Something astringent and one dimensional about it.
The Buffalo Trace Antiquities Collection is great.. The George T Stagg is exceptional and the William Larue Weller tasty as well... Eagle Rare 17 though was a bit of a disappointment....

Did a whisky tasting last weekend and here's how they ranked
1) George T Stagg
2) Pappy Van Winkle 15
3) William Larue Weller
4) Redbreast 12 year
5) Taylor Tornado Collection
6) Yamakazi 12 yr

Basil Hayden's is an excellent summer bourbon for sure. One of my favorite bottles I had was a private Willet 18 yr bottling... I've never been so sad to finish a bottle...

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.