FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best & worst Bourbon?
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyingDoctorwu

Originally Posted by Mr H
I adore Bookers. It is very sweet and warming and the oiliness makes sure the flavour stays with you to the next morning. Sadly it's no longer available in the UK.

George T Stagg is wonderful too, but perhaps the rye bitterness would offend some. From the same stable, Sazerac Rye (not a Bourbon, I know) shows the true flavour of rye in the mashbill - a useful reference point. William Larue Weller, in the same stable, shows the toffee and chocolate flavours of a high class wheated whiskey.

Four Roses Single Barrel also gets my vote - sweet and complex.

Currently working through a bottle of Parker's Heritage Collection cask strength bourbon. Not in the same league as the Buffalo Trace offerings but good enough. Perhaps a wee bit astringent.

Worst was Mellow Corn (another not-Bourbon in the pure corn style). It started out nice but turned oily and cloying. Nasty. Can't say Rebel Yell did it for me either. Something astringent and one dimensional about it.
The Buffalo Trace Antiquities Collection is great.. The George T Stagg is exceptional and the William Larue Weller tasty as well... Eagle Rare 17 though was a bit of a disappointment....

Did a whisky tasting last weekend and here's how they ranked
1) George T Stagg
2) Pappy Van Winkle 15
3) William Larue Weller
4) Redbreast 12 year
5) Taylor Tornado Collection
6) Yamakazi 12 yr

Basil Hayden's is an excellent summer bourbon for sure. One of my favorite bottles I had was a private Willet 18 yr bottling... I've never been so sad to finish a bottle...

FDW