Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I forgot about that stuff ! I think that is the old Parker Beam 27 yr (they changed the name). Is it 96 proof and 27 years old ? It rocks ! wj
Yup, payback from very good nephew for saving his butt, lock, stock and barrel few years back.

I find that fine bourbon like fine single malt should be left at cask strength.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Worst has to be Rebel Yell or Real McCoy. Gag!
I find Rebel Yell to offer a great price/performance ratio and
to not taste so bad all around.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
I guess if you are partying with the buddies that ride the Iron Horse ( in this case the hog HD) you will never get a word from the Wild Turkey 100
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Yup, payback from very good nephew for saving his butt, lock, stock and barrel few years back.

I find that fine bourbon like fine single malt should be left at cask strength.
Why pay for H2O ? I like my whisky-whiskey at about 100 though. A cube & a splash please.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
In the mid-priced realm for sipping I really like Eagle Rare. It's super-smooth and easy drinking but still has some interesting flavors. It's from the Buffalo Trace Distillery. It has displaced Woodford in that category for me.

My wallet hasn't allowed me to try enough of the "top-shelf" to lend a worthy opinion. As for bottom of the barrel, if Old Crow doesn't win I don't know what does.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by McGoogles
In the mid-priced realm for sipping I really like Eagle Rare. It's super-smooth and easy drinking but still has some interesting flavors. It's from the Buffalo Trace Distillery. It has displaced Woodford in that category for me.

My wallet hasn't allowed me to try enough of the "top-shelf" to lend a worthy opinion. As for bottom of the barrel, if Old Crow doesn't win I don't know what does.
******* EVAN WILLIAMS ! Their cheap stuff is a 7 yr & d*mn tasty. Another Buffalo Trace product, Elmer T Lee is my everyday. Love Eagle Rare. The 10 is great - the 17 is tough to acquire (& for a reason). For a nasty butt-kicking roller coaster ride - George T Stagg ! wj
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Perhaps it's decades of conditioning, but I prefer several of the Tennessee Sour Mashes to even the premium and small batch KY Bourbons. Excluding all of Jack Daniel's bottlings which seem to carry a "sweet" after taste, the Sour Mashes carry both yeasty aroma and flavor, while the small batch bourbons err on the edge of harshness (at least to my palate).

My grandfather was an Old Fitz man, and that the first Bourbon I ever learned to drink to appreciate. In my teen years, the choices were price-driven, Old Crow and Ancient (Un)Age, but palate and pocket book soon made me: "A Dickel man bred, a Dickel man born, and likely a Dickel man dead."
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
******* EVAN WILLIAMS ! Their cheap stuff is a 7 yr & d*mn tasty.
+1 ^

Best for the buck IMO too!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:19 pm

Best: Pappy Van Winkle 20.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Best: Pappy Van Winkle 20.
I think I agree, because the 23 costs 2X as much. Another $80 for 3 fricking years ! It's the only 'Pappy' I can get right now at my bar & it's a rip-off. Word on the street is that Costco bought it all. The Black Maple Hill (Black Label) & the Parker Beam 27 (or Heritage or whatever) can compete though. wj
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
Can't get Pappy Van Winkle in Utah (at least, have never seen it) which is probably good as it would dry up the liquor account awfully quick.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:59 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
I finally got a bottle of JB Devils Cut the other day. Not bad at all. Slightly overproof (90 proof) and cheap enough that I don't feel bad mixing it with Coke but good enough to sip straight as well.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Pappy this year was the hardest to get.. I managed to get a bottle @ $160.. they sure have jacked their prices. 2 years ago I was able to get a bottle of 20 for $120 and a bottle of 23 for $180. The 23 is going for $300 now....

but, in my mind, my favorites are the barrel strength William La Rue Weller and George T Stagg... with a drop or two of water to open them up a bit....

mmmmm

FDW
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've recently been introduced to, and much enjoying, Knob Creek, especially in a mug of hot chocolate on a cold night or homemade mint julep.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basil Hayden's is my favorite. I like Knob Creek a lot, too.

Overall, though, I think I prefer scotch. A good Speyside malt is always the cure for what ails ya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.