Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I find Maraschino cherries disgusting. In the old days when I worked for people who used them, I often thought I'd rather stick my hand in a jar of donkey piss than into that sticky sweet goo. Unless your body has a specific need for Red Dye #2, stay away and don't put any of that crap in a Manhattan. Find some dark cherries marinated in booze or do it yourself with your liquor of choice. I've tried Brandy, Rum, Tuaca, Rye, Southern Comfort, Yukon Jack & Bourbon so far. Ain't nothing hard about it and they all turned out great.
To be fair, the day-glo red cherries that one buys at the store labelled "maraschino cherries" are NOT real maraschino cherries. Real maraschino cherries are Marasca cherries preserved in maraschino liqueur, which is a liqueur made from Marasca cherries. Marasca cherries are only grown on the Dalmatian coast, IIRC.

The imitation "maraschino cherries" you buy in the store are other varieties of cherry preserved in a soup of chemicals and sugar.

The dark cherries you get in drinks at bars that take their cocktails seriously are probably not maraschino cherries (since marasca cherries are pretty rare) but are another variety of cherry soaked in booze (could even be maraschino liqueur - I think Luxardo is the most widely available brand).
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:33 pm

Luxardo are good, but cost more than the Bourbon. That's why we make our own.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:32 am

Best: 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle(if you can find it)
Smoothest: Basil Hayden
Honorable mention(not Bourbon): Crown Royal
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
To be fair, the day-glo red cherries that one buys at the store labelled "maraschino cherries" are NOT real maraschino cherries. Real maraschino cherries are Marasca cherries preserved in maraschino liqueur, which is a liqueur made from Marasca cherries. Marasca cherries are only grown on the Dalmatian coast, IIRC.

The imitation "maraschino cherries" you buy in the store are other varieties of cherry preserved in a soup of chemicals and sugar.

The dark cherries you get in drinks at bars that take their cocktails seriously are probably not maraschino cherries (since marasca cherries are pretty rare) but are another variety of cherry soaked in booze (could even be maraschino liqueur - I think Luxardo is the most widely available brand).
There are some places in Manhattan that make their own marinated cherries. The bar at Boulud Sud had some wonderful ones for instance.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:06 am

I prefer Blanton's and Basil Hayden...Jack Daniel's Single Barrel is also another one of my favorites, though technically not really a bourbon.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:19 pm

I'm def a scotch guy. But if I have to give a pass on a bourbon it's woodford.
Best bourbon I've tasted
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:19 pm

George T Stagg
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by zipo
I'm def a scotch guy. But if I have to give a pass on a bourbon it's woodford.
Best bourbon I've tasted
If you are the type of Scotch drinker who likes Macallan type products, I recommend Basil Hayden. Sort of the Bourbon for the Scotch drinker, IMO.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA Gold
In my limited experience with bourbon, ill add to the Eagle Rare party. Buffalo trace was pretty good as well. I also prefer a Makers when i dont want to take the hit to my wallet.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by diabolicNYC
Best: 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle(if you can find it)
Smoothest: Basil Hayden
Honorable mention(not Bourbon): Crown Royal
Local liquor store called, my bottle of Pappy 23 has arrived, and none too soon, as my current bottle is about done. Otherwise, my daily bourbon is either Buffalo Trace or Basil when I'm slumming it.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by brendog
Local liquor store called, my bottle of Pappy 23 has arrived, and none too soon, as my current bottle is about done. Otherwise, my daily bourbon is either Buffalo Trace or Basil when I'm slumming it.
The 23 is great no doubt, but it cost TWICE as much as the 20. That's why it's usually available and the 20 isn't.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:13 pm

Was previously on a Basil Hayden kick but now I am on an Eagle Rare kick.

Local store just got some Pappy 15 in. The price is $700. Thanks, I'll wait till next year when a new batch is released. When pappy was readily available they would sell the 23 for $200.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Was previously on a Basil Hayden kick but now I am on an Eagle Rare kick.

Local store just got some Pappy 15 in. The price is $700. Thanks, I'll wait till next year when a new batch is released. When pappy was readily available they would sell the 23 for $200.
And the 20 was 90-something $$ wholesale 3 years ago. Here's one explanation: http://fredminnick.com/whos-blame-60...py-van-winkle/

Last edited by whackyjacky; Mar 22, 2014 at 7:24 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tripdiculous
In my limited experience with bourbon, ill add to the Eagle Rare party. Buffalo trace was pretty good as well. I also prefer a Makers when i dont want to take the hit to my wallet.
They are now serving Buffalo Trace in the lounge at the IC London - Westminster. ^ Help yourself.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by stimpy
They are now serving Buffalo Trace in the lounge at the IC London - Westminster. ^ Help yourself.
Who would have thought of all places.
Thanks for the tip to go back to IC to "freshen up" before heading out to eat after workday. I will leave some for others in two weeks time!
But I did have a Pappy 23 at the HK American Club last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.