Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The instant coffee thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:00 am
Original Poster

The instant coffee thread

which instant coffee is way better than the rest? is there one you always bring back home when abroad?

my favorite Israeli instant coffee is Elite Platinum columbian. but looking for other winners, or one similar to this for my American relatives.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:20 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Nescafe Noir. Originally sold only in France, but Nestle has started to market it in various countries around the world (such as NZ); but not yet in the US. Maybe never, it is too strong for the US palate -- surprisingly good for an instant.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
This is actually a very good question.

I personally like the Nestle Mocha Instant Coffee but others will say that is not really instant coffee.

In Asia, they seem to love instant coffee. In fact, in peoples homes I visit, when they ask if I want coffee, they mean instant coffee which is something I usually avoid. When living in Canada, they rarely offer instant coffee.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
This is actually a very good question.
thank you
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Nescafe Noir. Originally sold only in France, but Nestle has started to market it in various countries around the world (such as NZ); but not yet in the US. Maybe never, it is too strong for the US palate -- surprisingly good for an instant.
i think this is my husband's favorite. He first found it in Cyprus, but now it is available occassionally here in Israel, too. Actually there are two Nestles he likes--the noir and the alta rica.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I think that in North America, regular instant coffee has really lost its appeal with the advent of Starbucks, Tim Hortons', Dunkin Donuts etc....

But here in Asia, everybody still buys and drinks the stuff. I can't stand it when they use condensed milk and tons of sugar.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:13 am
Suspended

Best instant coffee bar none is "Jamaica Mountain Peak" packaged in Jamaica - home of the famous Blue Mountain Coffee whose beans sell at about $60.00/lb at most specialty coffee stores.

Though mostly available on the island the instant can now be found in many supermarkets in area of south Florida with a significant Jamaican population.
Though not made entirely for the highly sought after Blue Mountain (whose next 10 years production has been 80% bought up by Japanese brokers) its in the opinion of many far superior to anything out of Colombia or elsewhere.

mike
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
But here in Asia, everybody still buys and drinks the stuff. I can't stand it when they use condensed milk and tons of sugar.
I've noticed that especially for younger and lower income Asians the apartments/rooms don't come with what we would call a kitchen or kitchenette. Instead there will be a cabinet top adorned with a hot water pot, a rice cooker, and maybe a microwave or hot plate. So instant coffee (usually Nescafe) or 3-in-1 coffee (instant coffee, creamer and sugar all mixed together in packets) tends to be the norm. In Thailand there are still coffee carts where you can buy hot or cold Thai coffee, but it seems to be more popular with older rather than younger Thai. Thailand also has lots of coffee shops these days, including overpriced Starbucks, of course.

I often bring back a couple of 10-packs of Khao Shong mint coffee mix, but I only use a couple of spoonfuls added to brewed coffee as a full cup of the stuff is too sweet for me.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I think that in North America, regular instant coffee has really lost its appeal with the advent of Starbucks, Tim Hortons', Dunkin Donuts etc....

I see it in the UK too. The plant I regularly visit there has a very fancy machine that produces a cup of instant coffee. I'm not impressed with any instant coffee anywhere. I'll keep my eyes open for Nescafe Noir.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:46 pm

The only Elite coffee I tried was total crap. I hate instant coffee. I'd rather boil the water and use a french press. of course Tim Hortons or Starbucks also is good for coffee. Surprisingly I like both Tim Hortons (weak coffee) and Starbucks (strong). I only use 18% cream in my coffee. I find 10% (half/half) has a really yucky cheesy/fatty taste and smell.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I may, I'd like to follow on to the OP's question: What's the best instant coffee available in the US? When I travel, particularly in Asia, I like to bring instant coffee with me in case it's not available in my hotel room. I've yet to find a brand available in America that even tastes like coffee (at least it has caffeine).

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel
If I may, I'd like to follow on to the OP's question: What's the best instant coffee available in the US? ...
Taster's Choice. It is even available vanilla flavoured (but unsweetened). I think the instant vanilla coffee is quite an acceptable coffee alternative (and distracts from comparing it to real coffee).
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
If I may, I'd like to follow on to the OP's question: What's the best instant coffee available in the US? When I travel, particularly in Asia, I like to bring instant coffee with me in case it's not available in my hotel room. I've yet to find a brand available in America that even tastes like coffee (at least it has caffeine).

Any suggestions?
You did read my post above right?

The product can be found in most Publix supermarkets in South and Central Florida.

mike
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
You did read my post above right?

The product can be found in most Publix supermarkets in South and Central Florida.

mike
Well, I guess I should have said, "widely available in the U.S." I'd love to try it, but south and central Florida are a little far from the San Francisco city center.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by haniboo
which instant coffee is way better than the rest? is there one you always bring back home when abroad?

my favorite Israeli instant coffee is Elite Platinum columbian. but looking for other winners, or one similar to this for my American relatives.
Carte Noire, from France, particularly in the individual cup packets, http://www.cartenoire.fr/, Vastly superior to anything I've tasted in the U.S. It's 100% pure Arabica beans.

I have French friends who insist I bring this back for them.

Last edited by Landing Gear; Mar 31, 2007 at 5:20 pm Reason: detail added

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.