The instant coffee thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The instant coffee thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:47 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Grown up with Instant or percolated coffee, cant stand coffee in the US as its either weak or strong and bitter. The favouite instants are Cap colombie, ALta Rica, and Dowe Egberts Gold
Old May 17, 2011, 7:23 am
ljo

Instant coffee for the traveler on the go!

I know this has been asked before but I didn't really get a usable answer out of the old threads. I'm trying to find a passable instant coffee that I can bring with me on my travels. When I lived in the UK I liked the Clipper brand but I'm in the US now and can't find it. I picked up some Nescafe Taster's Choice Gourmet Roast and its undrinkable! What do you guys like?

Addl requirements: Available in the US, either widely in supermarkets or online...
Old May 17, 2011, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
The Starbucks Via isn't bad for instant coffee. But, it's stronger than most intant coffees I've had previously.
Old May 17, 2011, 9:47 am

I use Via also. It's far better than the crap in the hotel rooms but it's not as good as my coffee at home.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:20 am
ljo

I haven't tried via but I've heard that its good. Its expensive for instant though. On the advice of a comparison review article I found I bought some Cafe Bustelo. Actually its not bad - I would say it is comparable to the Clipper instant.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Add my vote for the Starbucks Via. It's always packed in my carry-on to use instead of those awful hotel packets.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:20 am

Also I think Via is far better than the coffee served on airplanes.

Generally I drink two cups as soon as I wake up but if I've had to take a red eye and don't have time to pick up a cup at a coffee place in the airport, I will drink the Via instead of the airplane coffee. That stuff is nothing but hot brown water.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
One thing to get straight - There is no such thing as "good" instant coffee. There is only tolerable instant coffee until you can find real stuff.

Originally Posted by ljo
I know this has been asked before but I didn't really get a usable answer out of the old threads. I'm trying to find a passable instant coffee that I can bring with me on my travels. When I lived in the UK I liked the Clipper brand but I'm in the US now and can't find it. I picked up some Nescafe Taster's Choice Gourmet Roast and its undrinkable! What do you guys like?

Addl requirements: Available in the US, either widely in supermarkets or online...
Taster's Choice used to be good, and certainly better than Folgers, but its not
the same.

Originally Posted by edj3
Also I think Via is far better than the coffee served on airplanes.

Generally I drink two cups as soon as I wake up but if I've had to take a red eye and don't have time to pick up a cup at a coffee place in the airport, I will drink the Via instead of the airplane coffee. That stuff is nothing but hot brown water.
I think Via is awful. Not just bad because its instant, but truly awful tasting swill and really overpriced. Also, you should qualify the statement about airplane coffee. LH and AF have excellent coffee. UA's coffee (a special blend made for them by the Evil Green Mermaid) is ok if it is super fresh, but goes off 5 minutes after the pot is brewed.

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
The only Elite coffee I tried was total crap. I hate instant coffee. I'd rather boil the water and use a french press. of course Tim Hortons or Starbucks also is good for coffee. Surprisingly I like both Tim Hortons (weak coffee) and Starbucks (strong). I only use 18% cream in my coffee. I find 10% (half/half) has a really yucky cheesy/fatty taste and smell.
You find Tim's weak and Starbucks strong? I find Tim's strong (and yummy, especially for the price) and Starbucks burnt and hollow. I would never take a Starburnt over a Tim Hortons.

As for cream, UHT packets of 18% isn't widely available in the US. Not to mention that I have, since I was a kid, loved the taste of half and half.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
Also, you should qualify the statement about airplane coffee. LH and AF have excellent coffee. UA's coffee (a special blend made for them by the Evil Green Mermaid) is ok if it is super fresh, but goes off 5 minutes after the pot is brewed.
Fair enough.

I fly Delta and I dislike their coffee enough to do without. It's just hot brown water to me.
Old May 19, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I like Nescafe Clasico. I believe its from Mexico, but its widely available, at least here in N California. It's not the same as brewed coffee but if I'm in a hurry or out of regular coffee, I don't find it the least bit unpleasant. Definitely better than some brewed coffees.

I find it useful to have on hand for making a quick iced coffee with milk or when added to Mexican hot chocloate (Ibarra for me) to cut the sweetness.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
another +1 for sbux via
Old May 23, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by work2fly
I like Nescafe Clasico. I believe its from Mexico, but its widely available, at least here in N California. It's not the same as brewed coffee but if I'm in a hurry or out of regular coffee, I don't find it the least bit unpleasant. Definitely better than some brewed coffees.
I have been drinking it for the last year, after I discovered that the coffeemaker at work never gets cleaned and deposits a seemingly permanent supply of stringy solids in the coffee.

However, if I remember to bring in a few k-cups, someone in my office has a Keurig that I can use to brew a better cup.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Plat
Another vote for Mexican Nescafe and Via.

I prefer Via for hot coffee. The Nescafe is perfect for a homemade frappuccino in the morning (with almond milk)! I also use the Nescafe when cooking/baking.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:51 am

Instant coffee is pretty bitter, foul tasting stuff. Swill might be an apt term.

I travel quite a bit and find that I can find a good cup of coffee anywhere if I look hard enough. But not necessarily a good cup of expresso.

Solution: I take a Nespresso machine in a soft case with 30 capsules when I travel. The 30 capsules I take include the occasional shot of decafe when I feel like enjoying one at night. I just purchased a Nespresso Pixie which is half the size and weight of the Citiz model I travelled with before. I'm using it in Brasil now, as the cafe do Brasil here can get a little too sweet at times.

I do not need to pay R$3, 3 Euros, or $3-4 USD for an expresso or lungo shot. A 2 week business trip adds that expense up fast, to where the Pixie has paid for itself in 2 trips. And I can enjoy it whenever I want to. Like instant coffee, all you need is a little good water.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:40 pm

I like the Via and it is really easy for travel. You can get it at Costco and I have seen some good sale prices at Target.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.