Wiki Posts
Search

The instant coffee thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Badenoch
With the proliferation of Keurig, Nespresso and other single cup coffee makers is there still a market for instant coffee? It takes about as long to boil the water for instant as it does to make a cup with a single cup maker.

I've never found an instant coffee I've particularly cared for but it was sometimes a reasonable alterative to brewed coffee in the era when you had to make a full pot. Is anyone still drinking instant?
Occasionally. If I want some later-day decaf, I'll have a Starbucks VIA Italian Roast Decaf. It is up there in the "not bad" department.
Old May 4, 2023, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only instant coffee I've found palatable is the Starbucks Via line. I don't know if they make it anymore, either.
Old May 10, 2023, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
With the proliferation of Keurig, Nespresso and other single cup coffee makers is there still a market for instant coffee? It takes about as long to boil the water for instant as it does to make a cup with a single cup maker.

I've never found an instant coffee I've particularly cared for but it was sometimes a reasonable alterative to brewed coffee in the era when you had to make a full pot. Is anyone still drinking instant?
I do, but more for travel / portability then a time savings or alternative to "full pot". The Starbucks VIA packets are single serve and small enough to keep a couple handy in travel bags, etc.
The VIA are also typically better, or at least just as good, as the single serve "brewed" coffee found in most hotel rooms.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The only instant coffee I've found palatable is the Starbucks Via line. I don't know if they make it anymore, either.
Yeah, they are still made / available.
work2fly likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
We also travel with a couple of packets of Via to avoid crappy in-room coffee.

I think I like Nescafe classico better but Via is more widely available in single serve packets.
Old May 10, 2023, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by work2fly
We also travel with a couple of packets of Via to avoid crappy in-room coffee.

I think I like Nescafe classico better but Via is more widely available in single serve packets.
Hotels that get my return business are those with Keurig machines in the room.
cblaisd likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Hotels that get my return business are those with Keurig machines in the room.
And how many times do you "test run" water through them prior to use for actually making coffee? (For me, usually at least twice for any in-room coffee.) Some of the in-room K-cup coffee has been ah trow shus. And I don't bring my own.
work2fly likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 1:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I usually throw in a handful of good quality K-cups for stays where I know there are Keurig machines.

Back on topic, the VIA packets are the only decent instant I've had.
Badenoch and TGarza like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And how many times do you "test run" water through them prior to use for actually making coffee? (For me, usually at least twice for any in-room coffee.) Some of the in-room K-cup coffee has been ah trow shus. And I don't bring my own.
Run "test water" through once or twice. The quality of the K-pods can vary so usually have Pike Place from Starbucks in my bag.
TGarza likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Back on topic, the VIA packets are the only decent instant I've had.
I carry the VIA for that reason to have in the lobby of HIX which has hot water and tea
Old May 10, 2023, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I always run at least one cycle through of just water. I did that once at an upscale hotel and got a ton of black pieces in the cup. Now, I run at least one, if not two cycles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.