The instant coffee thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The instant coffee thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Nescafe Noir. Originally sold only in France, but Nestle has started to market it in various countries around the world.
Couldn't agree much. I had it on one of my trips to Paris. It tasted great and I haven't been able to find another brand that tastes that good.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:48 pm

Drinking coffee 5x a week OK?

Since I drink instant, what would be a good instant coffee you reccommend? I don't have a preference really. I use a splash of 2% milk and 1 1/2-2 teaspoons sugar.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 22, 2014 at 2:54 pm Reason: Removed health question to its own thread
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by maortega15
With all the news regarding the negative effects of caffeine, I now wonder if its ok to drink coffee every morning 5 times a week (Monday-Friday) without the negative and harmful effects of caffeine. I usually drink instant coffee.

And since I drink instant, what would be a good instant coffee you reccommend? I don't have a preference really. I use a splash of 2% milk and 1 1/2-2 teaspoons sugar.
Coffee is fine, and may have some small health benefits.

There really is no "good" instant coffee IME. When I have had to use it traveling, I have used Nescafe. I suspect some of the Starbucks single serve instants may be better, but have not tried them myself.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like Folgers Black Silk. It's usually $4.50 at the grocery store and it's pretty decent as an everyday in my to-go cup beverage.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have been drinking it for the last year, after I discovered that the coffeemaker at work never gets cleaned and deposits a seemingly permanent supply of stringy solids in the coffee.

However, if I remember to bring in a few k-cups, someone in my office has a Keurig that I can use to brew a better cup.
3 years later, I still don't like instant coffee. I have a Keurig in my office. I have 3 different coffee makers in my kitchen. If I'm camping, I take Starbucks Via or JFG instant. I think JFG is a regional. There is a tallish building in the Old City neighborhood in Knoxville with a big JFG sign on the top and a cafe (may now be closed) on the ground floor. I do remember a delicious aroma coming from the building back in the 80's and 90's. It's not bad but it's still instant - to be made when brewing from scratch is impossible or nearly so.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:55 pm

The Starbucks Via isn't bad - best instant coffee I've found thus far in the states. I mean, it doesn't beat a tradition cup of coffee, but it gets the job done. Although, I really can't drink the Blonde roast.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kdlynn06
Although, I really can't drink the Blonde roast.
I agree. I keep wondering how the blonde screwed it up.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Folgers.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I have Via in my travel kit, seldom drink it at home.

Trader Joes instant is above average.

Via added to airline coffee is tolerable.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 am

my best favorite coffe is DAO coffe of LAOS
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
+1 for the Via. I prefer the sweetened Iced Coffee over the Colombia and Italian Roast.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Via is so easy to take with you and it's not bad. When we go on a cruise (cruise coffee is generally yukky), we order hot water and use the Via. We will be in France next month, so will look for the Nescafe Noir.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, AS, HH S
Nescafe

Originally Posted by Nanook
Via is so easy to take with you and it's not bad. When we go on a cruise (cruise coffee is generally yukky), we order hot water and use the Via. We will be in France next month, so will look for the Nescafe Noir.
I haven't had Nescafe Noir, but when in France I always stock up on Nescafe Espresso instant coffee 'sticks', which I've found to be much better than any American instant coffee. They're really cheap at all the grocery stores, Monoprix, etc.

I may check out the Noir to compare next time too.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
While I do not drink regular coffee, I do like the Jacobs Toblerone or Milka cappucino drinks I get when I'm in Germany.

I have friends who like Percol and I take the dark roast back to them when I go home.

Old May 4, 2023, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Does anyone still drink instant coffee?

With the proliferation of Keurig, Nespresso and other single cup coffee makers is there still a market for instant coffee? It takes about as long to boil the water for instant as it does to make a cup with a single cup maker.

I've never found an instant coffee I've particularly cared for but it was sometimes a reasonable alterative to brewed coffee in the era when you had to make a full pot. Is anyone still drinking instant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.