Search

Cinco de Mayo

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2023, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Cinco de Mayo

How will you celebrate, food and drink-wise?

I have been threatening to cook Mexican but I don’t really feel inspired.

A nearby brewery is advertising a taco special and featuring their Mexican lager, which is quite good. There will also be a mariachi band playing.

Repeat after me: I will not touch the tequila. I will not touch the tequila. I will not touch the tequila.
Old May 4, 2023, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
How will you celebrate, food and drink-wise?

I have been threatening to cook Mexican but I don’t really feel inspired.

A nearby brewery is advertising a taco special and featuring their Mexican lager, which is quite good. There will also be a mariachi band playing.

Repeat after me: I will not touch the tequila. I will not touch the tequila. I will not touch the tequila.
So no Taco Bell huh. 😂

What pairs well with mezcal?
corky likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
I used to celebrate with $5 Moe's burritos but last year they changed the promo to only a discount of a couple of bucks so I don't know if I'll observe the holiday this year. I have some bean dip in the fridge if all else fails.

As for mezcal, it goes with everything!
Old May 4, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ

I recommend a waste basket.
Kgmm77, realworld, gaobest and 1 others like this.
Old May 4, 2023, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So no Taco Bell huh. 😂
There is a Taco Bell 1.2 miles from my house. In 4 years, I have never been in there. My last Taco Bell was eaten somewhere in South Georgia a few years back. We stopped for the night on a Sunday in a dry county. The only sit down restaurant was closed. The only option without getting back on the interstate was Taco Bell. Since the tornado sirens were going off, I just ordered $30 worth of miscellaneous food. It took up several bags and weighed a ton.
Old May 4, 2023, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So no Taco Bell huh. 😂

Del Taco is much better but they aren't everywhere.
gaobest likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 8:23 pm

A local taco place called El Tiz with a Mexican Horchata. The Spanish horchata is different than the Mexican version. The same with chorizo.
Old May 5, 2023, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
There is a Taco Bell 1.2 miles from my house. In 4 years, I have never been in there. My last Taco Bell was eaten somewhere in South Georgia a few years back. We stopped for the night on a Sunday in a dry county. The only sit down restaurant was closed. The only option without getting back on the interstate was Taco Bell. Since the tornado sirens were going off, I just ordered $30 worth of miscellaneous food. It took up several bags and weighed a ton.
Originally Posted by corky
Del Taco is much better but they aren't everywhere.
Every few years I try Taco Bell to see if my opinion has changed of them and it's always a big fat no. About the only time it's worth getting is if I have to drive and can't stop to sit down and eat. We have lots of tex mex places around here, but the decent places are all specialized or in the city core (aka not convenient). My current "like" is a place called Burrito Boyz. But didn't have time to go out yesterday to grab some. Ah well.
Old May 5, 2023, 8:16 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It begins. Sausage and baby-back ribs to be added.

ETA: Midway....
corky, work2fly, BamaVol and 5 others like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; May 5, 2023 at 11:54 am
Old May 5, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Every few years I try Taco Bell to see if my opinion has changed of them and it's always a big fat no.
I enjoy it. I don't think of it as Mexican or really even Tex Mex food. Just another fast food that to me is better than most of the places in that price range when I'm on the go. I'd go there before McD's, Wendy's, BK. I like Arby's too, which I think is in that same love/hate category. Probably my two favorite true low end fast food chains (not considering fancier places like Five Guys, etc.).

Still figuring out our plan for tonight. We're visiting someone in the hospital after work, so probably not cooking Mexican, but hoping we can find a not-too-crowded and decent Mexican restaurant on the way home.
braslvr and DELee like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Clermont Brewing Co for tacos and Mexican lager. The tacos were awful: dry chicken and way too much heat. I like the beer, but one of our party was not a fan, switching to nitro stout for her second. Mrs BV had a hazy IPA and I switched to that for my second. Stopped home for a shot and further conversation. It was a good night. Just awful food.
Old May 5, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
The local Mexican places are absolutely packed on Cinco de Mayo, so I know its the worst time to eat Mexican here. That being said, yesterday I had some alambres at a local joint. Pretty good, with good marinated steak and bacon. But it needed more heat, so I added some hot sauce. It turned out to be a little greasier than I liked, but pretty good for Quatro de Mayo. I had to go back to school for an evening event, so I couldn't neutralize the grease with a nice Modelo Negro.
Old May 5, 2023, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Baja fish taco
Old May 5, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Simpler fare: rice and beans wrapped in tortillas with different salsas.

David
Old May 8, 2023, 8:33 am

New Mexican restaurant opened around the corner from us. Owners are from Cancun and Nicaragua. So enjoyed some tortas al pastor as well as some fish tacos. Found the extra-anejo tequila to enjoy after the meal!
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.