Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Almost done with my current bottle of glenmorangie. Usually alternate between single malts and blends so next bottle will probably be JW black
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
Last week I flew into TYS and drove to Asheville (it was cheaper). As Tennessee isn't like North Carolina and has private liquor stores I stopped at one and picked up a bottle of Oban 18 for $109. Let me tell you it's worth every penny.
I strongly recommend McScrooges for Knoxville liquor purchases.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
Almost done with my current bottle of glenmorangie. Usually alternate between single malts and blends so next bottle will probably be JW black
The Durham ABC store near me had a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 for $109. I picked that up as a little Christmas treat.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
Is cost an issue? JW Black is ok but for not much more you could get Macallan 12.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Christmas, my son-in-law opened a bottle of Monkey Shoulder blended scotch. Not great, but not bad. And apparently inexpensive. I think he said under $30.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m in exile while my home goes through mold remediation, demo and reconstruction. I packed plenty of clothes and only one bottle of liquor. In the mood for a change, I bought a bottle of The Macallan 12 year double barrel. If I’m honest with myself, I’d say it’s too smooth. I will try a second tasting tonight after I finish this beer.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I’m in exile while my home goes through mold remediation, demo and reconstruction. I packed plenty of clothes and only one bottle of liquor. In the mood for a change, I bought a bottle of The Macallan 12 year double barrel. If I’m honest with myself, I’d say it’s too smooth. I will try a second tasting tonight after I finish this beer.
Well Macallan tends to be smooth. I've tried 25 at a bar and liked it but didn't like it at home out of a fresh bottle. I can't explain it.

What had you been drinking before you tried the Macallan 12?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Open some Ardbeg. It won't be too smooth for you.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Well Macallan tends to be smooth. I've tried 25 at a bar and liked it but didn't like it at home out of a fresh bottle. I can't explain it.

What had you been drinking before you tried the Macallan 12?
The bottle I brought with me was Hibiki Harmony.

On second tasting the bottle was a little more scotch-like and complex, but not as smoky as I prefer. I bought it in a hurry. I had an hour but the traffic chewed up 40 minutes of that. I will definitely be more prepared for my next purchase.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Balvenie 12 DoubleWood -- really good juice
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Trying something new tonight: Dalwhinnie 15 Year. It was on sale at the ABC store. Nice finish to it and fun to branch out with a new bottle as always.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:57 pm

Trying something new tonight: Dalwhinnie 15 Year. It was on sale at the ABC store. Nice finish to it and fun to branch out with a new bottle as always.
Tell us more please. What price? Is it similar to any other scotches I might know?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Tell us more please. What price? Is it similar to any other scotches I might know?
It's a Highland/Speyside malt so similar to Macallan/Glenmorangie/Oban, I'd assume. I haven't had it myself.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's a Highland/Speyside malt so similar to Macallan/Glenmorangie/Oban, I'd assume. I haven't had it myself.
I'd agree with that assessment. It's smooth and has a nice finish which I like.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:14 am

I'd agree with that assessment. It's smooth and has a nice finish which I like.
Yes, the nose is a bit harder than most Highland malts, but it definitely has quite an agreeable finish. $60 here locally.

We passed by this distillery, but did not visit, on our way from Edinburgh to Inverness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.