Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by work2fly
Growing up in the midwest, I remember 'ham salad' and 'meat filling' which would better be described as beef salad - both sandwich fillings. Sandwiches in that place and time meant squishy white bread, some yellow mustard and if you wanted to get fancy, a 'leaf' of iceberg lettuce
Not sure how old you are, but if you're near my age, you forgot about the slice of Velveeta!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
There is one, and only one kind of cheese that is acceptable for a burger: American.

Peas and sauerkraut are pure evil in vegetable form.

Different kinds of leftover pizza cannot share the same Tupperware, even if they’re not touching. Because then my delicious cheese pizza starts to taste like my wife’s green pepper and onion pizza.

Jack. Isn’t. Bourbon.

Server: “Is Pepsi okay?”
Me: “Is Monopoly Money okay?”
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
My personal food rules? I hate it when they put meat on potatoes or vegetables. Put it on the actual plate so my food doesn't "smush" when I cut it.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by javabytes
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by javabytes
A simple like doesn't go close to expressing how much I agree with this. I'm stealing this line for my own use.
cubbie and javabytes like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by phillygold
So, I’m in my local deli restaurant. My corned beef sandwich arrives, and I’m about to take the first, glorious bite. I look to my right, and I see a guy at the next table slathering mayo, on his white bread pastrami sandwich.
Normally, I don’t care what anyone does with their meat. Live and let live!
Something about this just disgusted me. Ewwwwww.
Anyone else witness an assault on food decency?
I'm pretty sure the assault on food decency occurred when he ordered his pastrami on white bread.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Reds2011
A simple like doesn't go close to expressing how much I agree with this. I'm stealing this line for my own use.
Me too! Though it reminds me of being in a restaurant in Long Beach several years ago. I kiddingly said to the waitress, "A class place like this doesn't serve Coke products?"

Her response, "McDonald's is just down the street."
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA
I vaguely recall someone in my family seeing a sign in an East Coast deli once that said something like "Mayo is served on sandwiches only to those who can show proof of North Dakota residency."
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Me too! Though it reminds me of being in a restaurant in Long Beach several years ago. I kiddingly said to the waitress, "A class place like this doesn't serve Coke products?"

Ouch!

Any Aussies reading the thread will know there is actually a worse thing than Pepsi. I don't think it's around any more (thank god) but there used to be an abomination called Schweppes Cola found in some places in Australia (only on the multi dispensing soda guns). This stuff was so sickly sweet it made Pepsi seem like a good option. Some friends and I walked out on a round of 5 rum and (supposedly) cokes in one place after the first sip. Luckily 3 of them were bigger than the bouncer, so we had no real problems except verbals. The manager admitted in the end that we were not the first to do so and he was re-considering whether the cheap cost was more trouble than it was worth.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis

That is an excellent response. To me, it's simple...the server is telling you they don't carry Coke and trying to be helpful by suggesting an alternative. If you don't want it, simply choose something else. I know it's not the same thing, but in terms of asking for something not on the menu, I hardly ever go to KFC and order a cheeseburger

Besides, if you're from the southern US, everything's a Coke anyway!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
My most recent rule is that if I can put Ssamjang on it... I'm putting Ssamjang on it. (Savory anyway... probably wouldn't put it on Ice Cream)

But basically my only rule is:
1) No blue cheese of any variety. Ever.
cblaisd likes this.

Last edited by kahdgar; Jul 27, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by kahdgar
My most recent rule is that if I can put Ssamjang on it... I'm putting Ssamjang on it. (Savory anyway... probably wouldn't put it on Ice Cream)

But basically my only rule is:
1) No blue cheese of any variety. Ever.
My partner refers to it as "foot cheese." You can probably figure out why.
kahdgar likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by braslvr
Mayo has been the main ingredient in the special sauces (or by itself) on almost all fast food (drive-in) burgers since the early 50s if not before. The places that put hamburgers on the map. How can it be inappropriate on a burger?
Did you just reveal the secret recipe for the special sauce?

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
My personal food rules? I hate it when they put meat on potatoes or vegetables. Put it on the actual plate so my food doesn't "smush" when I cut it.
So do you ask the server how the dish is platted so as to "ward-off" the potential conflict? FYI, I love when my meat has a nice surprise underneath or is smothered an covered.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 4, 2018 at 5:17 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:54 am

No Mr. Pibb is not the same as Dr. Pepper. One is the Coca Cola knockoff and the other is the Original Pepper.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by TGarza
No Mr. Pibb is not the same as Dr. Pepper. One is the Coca Cola knockoff and the other is the Original Pepper.
They're both carbonated prune juice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.