Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Foodnflights
Francescana was my favourite too. I must admit, Noma 2.0 wasn't as impressive, as I went during the seafood season. It felt like they were trying too hard to fit the theme into places where it didn't belong, e.g. a seaweed dessert that ended up tasting like off matcha. I much preferred Geranium and Kadeau when I went.
Interesting, I really liked Noma 2.0! I too went for seafood season and I really enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Foodnflights
Ryugin was great, though Can Roca and EMP are also on my bucket list!
Can Roca is really something else. EMP, along with Per Se and Le Bernardin are great, but I think of them more as amazing meals than amazing experiences.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:00 pm

Interesting. I found Francescana rather boring. In fact, we VASTLY preferred both Piazza Duomo (the next day), and Le Calandre (about a week or so later). Granted, PD was in the height of truffle season, so that's not quite fair
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:05 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Interesting. I found Francescana rather boring. In fact, we VASTLY preferred both Piazza Duomo (the next day), and Le Calandre (about a week or so later). Granted, PD was in the height of truffle season, so that's not quite fair
I went to Osteria Francescana and Le Calandre in the same week. Two different experiences and I quite liked both of them. Of the two, Le Calandre felt a little more intimate and personal, but the food and experience was very good at both.

Based on your feedback, I will have to check out Piazza Duomo the next time I'm in the area though.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Hmm... I was told to try Oriole after our favorite Michelin starred restaurant (Tru) closed last year. Sadness.
Have you been to Acadia (2*)? I’ve been fortunate enough to visit twice, and both experiences were remarkable, in terms of food, wine pairings, service and professionalism. I’d go back in a heartbeat - although I will at some point have to visit Alinea as well #firstworldproblems
TravelLawyer and United747 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Thank you for the suggestion @Hilde . I have not tried Acadia. Thank you for the recommendation! Will definitely look into it. I haven't visited Alinea, but I am also not as adventurous in food as I like to pretend I am. I tend not to be as fond of theatrics and molecular gastronomy as most people - I prefer the fine dining of the 1990's and early 2000's (but missed out as I was just starting out and poor as dirt).
United747 and Hilde like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC
You're welcome, @AtomicLush! I'll se if I can post a picture of the menu from Acadia, som you can get a sense of what kind of food they feature
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hilde
You're welcome, @AtomicLush! I'll se if I can post a picture of the menu from Acadia, som you can get a sense of what kind of food they feature
Because I coincidentally happened to be sorting through a pile of old papers, here's an Acadia menu from last fall:
Attached Images  
Hilde likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:09 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Have been to Berlin earlier this year and visited 2* Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer by Hendrik Otto. Well deserved two Michelin stars. All courses were fantastic, flawless service, good recommendations from the sommelier. The living room atmosphere makes you feel like a guest of the old Adlon. Unfortunately the Brandenburg Gate was not visible from our table - I recommend to ask for one of the tables by the window at reservation.

More photos on my blog: Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer - Fine Dining Berlin - Continental Traveller
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by lightwalker
Have been to Berlin earlier this year and visited 2* Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer by Hendrik Otto. Well deserved two Michelin stars. All courses were fantastic, flawless service, good recommendations from the sommelier. The living room atmosphere makes you feel like a guest of the old Adlon. Unfortunately the Brandenburg Gate was not visible from our table - I recommend to ask for one of the tables by the window at reservation.
Had a good dinner a few years ago. Last time (and for the last time for sure!) I stayed at the Adlon I canceled my reservation the last moment due to special circumstances during Obamas stay.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Esszimmer Salzburg *

Had a pleasant dinner at Esszimmer Salzburg (1 Michelin star). I ate hear a few years ago and it was again very good. We took the vegetarian green menu with 5 courses which was with 79,00 € for 5 courses very reasonable priced.
Aubergine as Amuse Bouche

The menu:

Beetroot with goats cheese

Brösel, pumkin with Topfengnocchi

Smoked Topinambur with grapes and mushrooms

Leek and polenta as a kind of lasagne

"Pralinenschnitte" with caramel icecream

Final surprise:
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

This is when I become even more skeptical of the Michelin stars handed out in South Korea...
Hotel Lobby

Signiel Seoul's Stay receives Michelin star

Stay, the modern French restaurant at the Signiel Seoul Hotel, has earned a Michelin star.

The facility opened in April last year on the property's 81st floor, led by chef Yannick Alleno.

Stay has become the second restaurant of the hotel to receive a coveted Michelin star status following Bicena, a classy Korean restaurant which was first awarded one star in the Michelin guide in 2016.

Signiel is the only hotel in Korea to have a Michelin star restaurant for both Western food and Korean dishes.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:22 pm

Michelin releases their 2019 NYC Guide

Here are all the starred establishments (in alphabetical order within their star rating)

Three Stars
Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare
Eleven Madison Park
Le Bernardin
Masa
Per Se

Two Stars
Aquavit
Aska
Atera
Blanca
Daniel
Gabriel Kreuther (new)
Ichimura at Uchu (new)
Jean-Georges
Jungsik
Ko
L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon (new)
Marea
The Modern
Sushi Ginza Onodera
Tetsu Basement (new, but closed)

One Star
Agern
Ai Fiori
Aldea
Atomix (new)
Babbo
Bar Uchu
Batard
Blue Hill
Bouley at Home
Cafe Boulud
Cafe China
Carbone
Casa Enrique
Casa Mono
Caviar Russe
Claro (new)
The Clocktower
Contra
Cote
Del Posto
Faro
The Finch
Gotham Bar and Grill
Gramercy Tavern
Gunter Seeger NY
Hirohisa
Jeju Noodle Bar (new)
Jewel Bako
Junoon
Kajitsu
Kanoyama
Kosaka (new)
Kyo Ya
L’Appart
Le Coucou (new)
Le Grill de Joel Robuchon (new)
Meadowsweet
The Musket Room
Nix
Noda (new)
NoMad
Okuda (new)
Oxomoco (new)
Peter Luger
The River Cafe
Satsuki
Sushi Amane
Sushi Inoue
Sushi Nakazawa (new)
Sushi Noz (new)
Sushi Yasuda
Tempura Matsui
Tuome (new)
Uncle Boons
Wallse
ZZ’s Clam Bar

Source (definitely worth reading the commentary): https://ny.eater.com/2018/11/6/18065...nyc-stars-2019
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:34 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
On a Bordeaux visit I stayed in the great Les Source des Caudalie hotel in Martillac. Their fine dining restaurant La Grand'Vigne boasts 2 Michelin stars and it mostly delivered.

Summary
A wonderful experience that was only tainted by the quality of the bread which was a little dry and didn't seem freshly made. I think in a 2-star restaurant the bread needs to feel like fresh out of the oven every time. Everything else, though, was up to par: thoughtful, friendly service, dishes following an overall arc (Aquitanian journey) and were a delight on the palate. And of course the suggested red wine was fitting, as expected. The recommended Champagne did surprise and made me note it to buy for myself.

Photos on my blog: http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...ng-in-bordeaux
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:56 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Already booked for Dec in San Francisco:

Eight Tables (not yet ranked)
Californios 2*
Atelier Crenn 2*

Can’t wait to see if Crenn gets its 3rd star on Nov 30.

Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Ikarus Salzburg **

In Salzburg we had dinner at Ikarus which has 2 stars at guide Michelin. Ikarus has quite a special concept as the crew cooks with another guest cook. This month it was David Kinch, 3-star cook from Los Gatos.
The restaurant is situated at Hangar-7 at Salzburg airport.
You can choose from 2 different menus, one by the guest cook and on by the Ikarus Team. We choosed the David Kinch menu with 2 changes. Price was 190,00 € per person.

My Name was on the table and I found it nicely decorated.

The 3 Amuse Bouches

I found them good.
Now came the bread and butter Course. 2 kinds of bread and 5 kinds of butter (natural, salted, Yuzu, seaweed and peppers).

First course was a boiled egg with a herbal jelly around and Iranian caviar.

A great dish which was absolutely on 3-star level.
Vegetable garden

Different vegetables cooked different ways. Also a very good dish which I really liked.
Next came sea bass with white Alba truffle.

What looks so so on the picture was indeed spectacular, I would even say the best dish I had this year.
The next dish sounded unusual. It was abalone which was prepared as a "Tafelspitz".

You must of course like abalone. The way to prepare it was really special. While I found it interesting I don´t need it every week.
King crab with sweet potatoes, the first dish from the Ikarus menu.

The dish was solid, I would rate it 1 star.
Next came gilthead with pearl barley and rosehip (Ikarus menu).

The idea sounds great, the dish was again solid. Not the level of the first courses from the Kinch-menu.
First dessert: Plum sorbet with coco and cashews.

The sorbet was nice but the rolls of dough tasted only like butter.
Poached apple with caramel and buckwheat:

I liked this desser more than the one before but it was neither 2 or 3 star level for me.
Final petit fours:

A view in the Hangar-7

Ikarus is a spectacular restaurant with an interesting concept. I think the food depends strongly on the guest cook. During our dinner we had some great high level dishes, but also dishes that were "only" on a solid 1-star level. Nevertheless a nice dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.