Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:34 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by United747
Went to Paris a few weeks ago for a long weekend
That looks like some long weekend! Your reviews have been noted and the Paris To Do list grows a few more entries.

Props to you for managing to get all of those reservations. I would need some serious gym time after all of that!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That looks like some long weekend! Your reviews have been noted and the Paris To Do list grows a few more entries.

Props to you for managing to get all of those reservations. I would need some serious gym time after all of that!
Haha, yeah. I definitely hit the treadmill and weights during this trip! The reservations were surprisingly easy to get. Noting like in the US where you need to log on right when reservations are released.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:03 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by United747
The reservations were surprisingly easy to get. Noting like in the US where you need to log on right when reservations are released.

Not just the US.

I'm currently on the waitlist for El Celler de Can Roca and that's for next June! Hopefully it will be similar to my recent visit to Aticca where we cleared the waitlist just before our trip.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:07 am

Way too much traveling this summer but luckily managed to sneak in a bunch of meals in HK, Kyoto, NYC and Italy. Not a big fan of Michelin stars and don't really pick restaurants on this basis. My best meals turns out to be at famous but non-starred restaurants

Mizuki sushi (1* but for the tempura part), RC Kyoto, Kyoto
- lunch here after several long flights. Pretty decent meal but as far as sushi goes, Kyoto is really not the place for it. Tons of places in Tokyo would be better

Ifuki (2*), Kyoto
- very enjoyable meal especially their grilled torigai. Can still remember the smokiness from charcoal and the fresh salty seafood taste. The fish (think it was kinki or akamutsu) cooked two ways with crispy scales and grilled meat was also excellent

Hirasansou, Kyoto
- easily best meal my whole summer! Different types of ayu prepared 3 different ways! Ayu is supposed to taste bitter but didn't realize it can be so sweet at the same time. This will forever be the benchmark of Ayu for me

Yosuke Yamaji, Kyoto
- been trying different French restaurants in Kyoto and this one was OK. No complains but nothing is memorable either. Still like Yonemura the best out of the ones I have tried so far

Gaddi's Chef's Table (plate), Peninsula Hotel, HK
- This is their special experience where your table is inside the kitchen near the pass and you get to see all the chefs cooking and the plating of dishes. My experience here may not be representative of the general restaurant and there is only one chef table per meal. Haven't been back for over 10 years but always have fond memories of this experience. Started with a kitchen tour and the new chocolate room looks and smells great! Food was more traditional last time but with a new chef, things have changed and now updated to be much more modern with incorporation of Japanese ingredients and beautiful plating. Not a bad course throughout the 10-course meal and the hamachi carpaccio with poppy seeds and lime, duck liver with cherry and almonds, snails with slow cooked eggs and French melon carpaccio with muscat jelly and yoghurt sorbet are all stand-outs! Langoustine ravioli was too salty for my taste but I do find many dishes too salty in restaurants these days especially in Italy

Gensui, Hong Kong
- easily my favorite Japanese in town and this was their special sake dinner night. Nice to see that they are trying new things such as uni on a mini ice-cream cone. Think French Laundry salmon cornet with a swap from salmon to uni! Akamutsu rice is my favorite here especially with the slightly sweet soy sauce that they used to grill the fish. I can easily have this every night!

Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare (3*), NYC
- am a big fan of omakase menu with counter dining and have tried Atera, Momofuku Ko and Blanca. Never got around to Brooklyn Fare in their old location and this is my first time here. It was an enjoyable meal but have to say I was a little disappointed. First few dishes were quite acidic and this was even more so than heavily vinegared sushi rice. While I appreciate the use of acid to balance the fattiness or oil in a dish, this was just too much. As the meal progresses, it also becomes more and more of a Japanese fusion meal to me with heavy use of Japanese seafood to be followed by some type of Wagyu as the meat course. This was similar to Gaddi's and to be honest, I could have had this meal anywhere in the world at you-name-it fancy restaurant and even compared to my recent experiences, Gaddi's did it better. This is also a game that these restaurants can't win since the Japanese restaurants are going to be able to do it better with proximity to source, relationship with suppliers, years of experience and great execution capability. Why are all these fancy places trying to be something they can't be the best at? Do they really think the best Japanese beef or crab are being reserved for export instead of a Japanese restaurant with long-standing relationship or the guy standing at the fishing port with cash while the fishing boats are coming in?

Blue Hill at Stone Barns (sister restaurant in NYC has 1*), Tarrytown
- This is the mother ship of Blue Hill and have always wanted to try it. Reminds me of Hirasansou that I got to tried a few weeks before. Both excellent restaurants with no Michelin stars and located a few hours from a major city. Took some effort to get to these places but oh so worth it! Also an adventure that is to be remembered. Started with 9 different kinds of raw vegetables and tomatoes from their garden and some are so delicious! Flavor profiles are more simple to allow the ingredients to shine and they do taste great! To me, this is the opposite end of the spectrum compared to Brooklyn Fare and the end that I much prefer. The raw vegetables were the stand]-outs for me and frankly, no one else can really replicate this unless they are prepared to build their own farm (which Uwe in HK is doing)!

Blanca (2*), NYC
- my fav counter style omakase restaurant in NYC so far and remains so! Haven't been to Aska yet and will have to wait till my next trip. There were some Japanese ingredients mixed in but it wasn't four in a row like Brooklyn Fare with nothing else to show. House cured slice of pancetta is still there and so heavenly! I still dream about the after taste of that lard in my mouth! Sungold tomato, Maitake with asian pear and their fresh bread were also excellent!

Salumeria Riscioli, Rome
- excellent burrata and mortadella. Cacio e pepe looks a bit like instant noodles but was too salty for me

Armando Al Pantheon (plate), Rome
- small restaurant near Pantheon so be sure to book ahead. The two daily special antipasti were ok but pasta were excellent. Tried the Spaghetti alla Griscia which is basically a non-egg version of carbonara and also the spaghetti with black truffle.

Rosselini (1*), Palazzo Avino, Ravello
- Fantastic view from some of the best vantage points on the Amalfi coast! Loved how they moved the aperitif and amuse to the al fresco viewing deck. Cuttle fish 5 ways and the pasta with pistachio were standouts and would gladly stay and eat here again. If you are staying at this hotel, make sure to check out their beach club

Aroma (1*), Palazzo Manfredi, Rome
- what a disaster and the worst meal I have had some time! Food was ok though not up to 1 star standard but the service was atrocious. Picked this restaurant for the view and that is the only good part! Come here for a drink but I cannot recommend anyone to dine here. Took us almost 1.5 hours after sitting down to order the meal since they are so short-staffed. Captain then forgot what we order and have to come back and check. Bottle of wine was sitting on table for 15 minutes before being opened. Charged me an exorbitant Eur 60 for 3 scoops of ice cream for kids while a first course pasta dish cost Eur 40. Avoid this place like the plague!
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:41 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Anyone have thoughts on Switzerland-based Michelin starred restaurants that are near Geneva, Montreux, Zermatt, or Lugano? Spending 2 weeks there next month and need to get my reservations lined up! The only one I have booked so far is Le Chat Botte (1 star) in Geneva.
Probably too late now, but I enjoyed Bayview at the Hotel President Wilson in Geneva. Nice views by the lake. Wasn't hard to get a reservation.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Aug 13, 2018 at 1:42 pm Reason: sp
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Had the tasting menu at Blacbird (1*, Chicago) and The Musket Room (1*, NYC) recently. Both phenomenal, I wouldn't bat an eye if Blackbird were upgraded to 2 stars. I feel they are right on the cusp. The Musket Room was lovely, in particular the 50 day dry-aged beef was one of the best preparations I've had.

I'm finally dining at Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare this week. I'll report back.
Fliar likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Probably too late now, but I enjoyed Bayview at the Hotel President Wilson in Geneva. Nice views by the lake. Wasn't hard to get a reservation.
I ended up going with the following in addition:

-Domaine de Chateauvieux (2 stars, Geneva)
-Le Pont de Brent (2 stars, near Lausanne)
-Berton Al Lago (1 star, near Como, Italy)

Unfortunately all of Zermatt's starred restaurants are closed in the summertime...

Most recent starred dinner was at Gramercy Tavern - excellent as always.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I ended up going with the following in addition:

-Domaine de Chateauvieux (2 stars, Geneva)
-Le Pont de Brent (2 stars, near Lausanne)
-Berton Al Lago (1 star, near Como, Italy)

Unfortunately all of Zermatt's starred restaurants are closed in the summertime...
Enjoy!

We will try 2* Ecco in Zurich in Oct. Can't wait. (First time in Switzerland.)

Most recent starred dinner was at Gramercy Tavern - excellent as always.
Definitely one of my faves. Excellent as always is the truth!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Went back to Gramercy Tavern today (the benefits of being a 10-minute walk away) but for lunch in the Tavern Room. Enjoyed the duck meatballs, romano bean salad with lobster and pesto (that was a real surprise), and a Danish aged black IPA brewed with coffee from the cellar. ^
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:02 pm

Just to join in the praise, I went to Gramercy Tavern a few months back based on recommendations from this thread. It did not disappoint. A great mix of good food, atmosphere and service. Will definitely return. Had to look back at notes, but we had a wonderful tartare, a ceviche, a perfectly cooked fish fillet (sea bass?) and the lamb loin & merguez.

In particular, I admired the fantastic service in a no tipping environment. A lesson for other restaurants.
GadgetFreak, United747 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up Daniel **

We had a lovely celebration dinner at Daniel (NYC) for my gf's 30th birthday. Used to be *** now just ** Michelin stars.

We ordered the 4-course "prix fixe" menu at $151 with 1 glass of Champagne and 1 glass of white wine each.

Excellent service and wonderful food in a beautiful setting.

Amuse-bouche: 3 variations of tomato dishes (gazpacho, tomato with basil, shrimp with sundried tomato)
1st course: carrot soup with crab (me) / scallop ceviche (her)
2nd course: vodka-flambé-ed foie gras (me) --- this is a must order, and it quite a show as the server finishes the dish in front of you on a burner / bar with basil sauce (delicious!)
3rd course: wagyu beef with chanterelles, sauce bordelaise (I loved it!) / cochon de lait (sucking pig)
4 course: "peche melba" deconstructed / "peru" chocolate dessert

They brought another dessert (sour-cherry cheesecake with chocolate mousse) for the candle.

After the desser(s), they offered some freshly-baked madeleines and some chocolates, as well as 2 boxed 'canellé" cakes to take-away.

Finally, our waiter brought us printed copies of the menu with mention of my gf's birthday.

Our waiter Giovanni provided a phenomenal service. A great dining experience for a special occasion.

Amuse-bouche

Scallop ceviche

Chaud! Show!

Flambé-ed foie-gras

Bar (seabass, basil purée)

Wagyu, chanterelles, sauce Bordelaise

Revisited "Peche Melba"

"Peru"
Hilde and arkellvspressdram like this.

Last edited by zip10001; Aug 21, 2018 at 7:32 pm Reason: pics
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
I'm going to San Francisco in September. I got a reservation at The French Laundry, which I've wanted to visit for several years. I was looking to visit another top restaurant in SF, but I find it very hard to choose. Saison was fully booked during my stay, but I managed to get reservations to Benu and Quince - although I'll probably cancel one reservation - too much Michelin is taxing .

Which restaurant do you guys recommend in SF? Benu vs Quince vs ??? (not Saison)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:41 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Lambi
I'm going to San Francisco in September. I got a reservation at The French Laundry, which I've wanted to visit for several years. I was looking to visit another top restaurant in SF, but I find it very hard to choose. Saison was fully booked during my stay, but I managed to get reservations to Benu and Quince - although I'll probably cancel one reservation - too much Michelin is taxing .

Which restaurant do you guys recommend in SF? Benu vs Quince vs ??? (not Saison)
I was just at Saison in July for my second dinner (incredibly good) and will be back at Benu in a week for my second dinner there, too. (I loved my first dinner at Benu.) We dined last Dec at Quince and liked it a lot—but felt it was more 2 star.

To be honest. Id take any of those over French Laundry—which to us is well past its prime and is resting now solely on its reputation. We’d always choose Meadowood over French Laundry.

You cant go wrong otherwise. Too many great options. I’d also highly recommend Atelier Crenn.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:21 am
hln

If you are in Rome (italy), locals spend the summer or its weekends in beach towns around it, Santa Marinella being the nicest of them, and totally out of the beaten track . 30 mins train ride from st.Peter's station in Roma.
Excellent seafood and sun terrace at Molo21.com , and in Civitavecchia (the port city where all cruises depart from) Mastrotitta Oltremare is an excellent pizza place where all locals go.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I was just at Saison in July for my second dinner (incredibly good) and will be back at Benu in a week for my second dinner there, too. (I loved my first dinner at Benu.) We dined last Dec at Quince and liked it a lot—but felt it was more 2 star.

To be honest. Id take any of those over French Laundry—which to us is well past its prime and is resting now solely on its reputation. We’d always choose Meadowood over French Laundry.

You cant go wrong otherwise. Too many great options. I’d also highly recommend Atelier Crenn.
Thank you for your recommendations! Benu it is then (too bad Saison wasn't available). French Laundry is more a bucket list tick for me since it's such an American classic. Being a Swedish foodie who travels the world for food - French Laundry was a must, just as much as a singapore sling at Raffles in Singapore also was a must

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.