Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Interesting that the pairing of amuse bouche and jelly (savoury) at beginning and same (sweet) at end of meal has perhaps been his (Kinch) signature since opening Manresa - I remember it from meals years ago. Another signature "into the garden" aka vegetable garden esp. because of a partnership he has with a "biodynamic" farmer near his restaurant (love apple) where he collected veg the same day it was to be served (probably not for this particular occasion - or maybe from a more local farm to this restaurant)
Nice to see this report of a chef I know with a restaurant I did not
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
NYC was released the other day. I gotta say, I feel like Michelin doesn't think there's much new happening in NYC high-end dining that really impresses them these days.

-No new 3 stars, with Jean Georges and Daniel losing their third star in recent years.
-Gabriel Kreuther (deservedly) gets a second star. Ichimura shows up again as 2 stars, now at Bar Uchu. The new L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon gets 2 stars (I feel like they will give a star to any restaurant with his name on it)
-A handful of new 1-star restaurants, most notably Sushi Nakazawa finally making it (although my wife said the quality in her last visit was not great, and the restaurant was quite empty when she went) and Le Coucou, which is still insanely hard to get a reservation to (but is extremely good)

More interested to see what SF's list brings in a couple weeks. Hoping that the concierge at the Fairmont SF can finally hook me up with Benu...
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:48 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Hoping that the concierge at the Fairmont SF can finally hook me up with Benu...
Worth it for sure. I've enjoyed both times I've been there. Good luck!
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
More interested to see what SF's list brings in a couple weeks. Hoping that the concierge at the Fairmont SF can finally hook me up with Benu...
Good luck! FWIW, you can book Benu from OpenTable if necessary. I was just back there in Sept and loved it. It’s still my favorite in the city, right along with Atelier Crenn (we get back there in Dec).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by estnet
Interesting that the pairing of amuse bouche and jelly (savoury) at beginning and same (sweet) at end of meal has perhaps been his (Kinch) signature since opening Manresa - I remember it from meals years ago. Another signature "into the garden" aka vegetable garden esp. because of a partnership he has with a "biodynamic" farmer near his restaurant (love apple) where he collected veg the same day it was to be served (probably not for this particular occasion - or maybe from a more local farm to this restaurant)
Nice to see this report of a chef I know with a restaurant I did not
Yeah, it was my first time of such a "clip"
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Rome, Bologna, Venice

Hi,
will visit the 3 cities mentioned before. At Rome I hold a reservation at La Pergolaand will most propable eat at La Terrazza (stay at the Eden) and Imágo (near by). No idea so far regarding Bologna (perhaps I Portici) or Venice. Any ideas? Also non-starred restaurants are welcome, especially great pizza.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:02 am

My favorite restaurant in Rome is Pierluigi. Personally I'd rank it higher than La Pergola, although if you're able to snag a table on the balcony there the view is fantastic.

For Venice, I remember having a great seafood dinner at Alle Testiere.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Hi,
will visit the 3 cities mentioned before. At Rome I hold a reservation at La Pergolaand will most propable eat at La Terrazza (stay at the Eden) and Imágo (near by). No idea so far regarding Bologna (perhaps I Portici) or Venice. Any ideas? Also non-starred restaurants are welcome, especially great pizza.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Good luck! FWIW, you can book Benu from OpenTable if necessary. I was just back there in Sept and loved it. It’s still my favorite in the city, right along with Atelier Crenn (we get back there in Dec).
Still trying to flip a coin between LAX and SFO for our annual Spring mini-break restaurant tour of new places (to us) and maybe some old faves. But you got me thinking about Benu again ...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Still trying to flip a coin between LAX and SFO for our annual Spring mini-break restaurant tour of new places (to us) and maybe some old faves. But you got me thinking about Benu again ...
If in SF (where I am for work even now), my faves are Benu and Atelier Crenn (as well as Meadowood up in Napa and Manresa down in the San Jose area). We also loved Acquerello. I love Mourad, too. My husband’s favorite overall is Saison. But SF has so many amazing options. I’m working on going to 2* SingleThread up in Sonoma perhaps in a few weeks.

If in LA, my faves are Somni and The Bazaar by Jose Andres, both at the SLS Beverly Hills. Somni is easily worthy of 2-3* IMO, and the Bazaar is easily worthy of 1* at least. Somni is my favorite meal of all time in SoCal...and its previous incarnation as Saam was my fave before that. We also really like Providence and n/naka, both of which easily are worthy of 2*. If you get down to OC, Taco Maria is a great 1* worthy option, and maybe Basilic and Marche Moderne. There are so many incredible places in LA right now, maybe because Michelin doesn’t rank here, that it’s a pretty exciting time.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:39 pm

We're heading to Napa/SFO next spring for a food & wine tour. Benu, Saison, and Meadowood are definitely on the list. Also considering Auberge du Soleil. Not going to bother with French Laundry. @bhrubin would love to hear any other recommendations (both restaurants and vineyards) in the Napa area from you!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jbeans
We're heading to Napa/SFO next spring for a food & wine tour. Benu, Saison, and Meadowood are definitely on the list. Also considering Auberge du Soleil. Not going to bother with French Laundry. @bhrubin would love to hear any other recommendations (both restaurants and vineyards) in the Napa area from you!
Just booked 2* SingleThread for Nov 28. I’ll be sure to report back. Very excited to try it.

You already have my biggest Napa faves. I don’t think you miss much by avoiding FL. Lunch at Auberge is what I recommend, since the view really is lovely and the ambience is better to me during the day; we have a tradition of lunch there on all of our Napa stays. We also always hit Bistro Jeanty in Yountville, even though it’s no longer with a *; I love their steak tartare. We also really like Ad Hoc and Press, and we often have a lunch at Bouchon Bistro. We aren’t big fans of La Toque in the Westin. I’m also a fan of Cindy’s Backstreet Kitchen. Dying to try Acacia House at the Las Alcobas hotel.

Wineries? So many. Private message me and I can give some recs based on your prefs!

Have a fab time! I’ll be back yet again in May.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 14, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jbeans
My favorite restaurant in Rome is Pierluigi. Personally I'd rank it higher than La Pergola, although if you're able to snag a table on the balcony there the view is fantastic.

For Venice, I remember having a great seafood dinner at Alle Testiere.
Thanks! Will have a look
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:04 pm

If in SF (where I am for work even now), my faves are Benu and Atelier Crenn (as well as Meadowood up in Napa and Manresa down in the San Jose area). We also loved Acquerello. I love Mourad, too. My husband’s favorite overall is Saison. But SF has so many amazing options. I’m working on going to 2* SingleThread up in Sonoma perhaps in a few weeks.

If in LA, my faves are Somni and The Bazaar by Jose Andres, both at the SLS Beverly Hills. Somni is easily worthy of 2-3* IMO, and the Bazaar is easily worthy of 1* at least. Somni is my favorite meal of all time in SoCal...and its previous incarnation as Saam was my fave before that. We also really like Providence and n/naka, both of which easily are worthy of 2*. If you get down to OC, Taco Maria is a great 1* worthy option, and maybe Basilic and Marche Moderne. There are so many incredible places in LA right now, maybe because Michelin doesn’t rank here, that it’s a pretty exciting time.
Nice list - thanks!

Been to Benu, Atelier Crenn, Manresa, Acquerello and Mourad in SFO. But Saison is on the 'gotta go' list. n/naka and Providence were both great in LAX. Somni looks interesting for sure.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Nice list - thanks!

Been to Benu, Atelier Crenn, Manresa, Acquerello and Mourad in SFO. But Saison is on the 'gotta go' list. n/naka and Providence were both great in LAX. Somni looks interesting for sure.
We did Saison again in July—much more streamlined menu, much less fussy, and still as impressive as our first dinner there a few years ago. Highly recommended. If you can get a table by the kitchen, most people love it.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:40 pm

Thanks! Will check into all these places. We'll actually be staying at Las Alcobas, so probably will be eating Acadia at some point during the trip.

Just booked 2* SingleThread for Nov 28. I’ll be sure to report back. Very excited to try it.

You already have my biggest Napa faves. I don’t think you miss much by avoiding FL. Lunch at Auberge is what I recommend, since the view really is lovely and the ambience is better to me during the day; we have a tradition of lunch there on all of our Napa stays. We also always hit Bistro Jeanty in Yountville, even though it’s no longer with a *; I love their steak tartare. We also really like Ad Hoc and Press, and we often have a lunch at Bouchon Bistro. We aren’t big fans of La Toque in the Westin. I’m also a fan of Cindy’s Backstreet Kitchen. Dying to try Acacia House at the Las Alcobas hotel.

Wineries? So many. Private message me and I can give some recs based on your prefs!

Have a fab time! I’ll be back yet again in May.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.