Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
A hearty congratulations to both Chef Crenn (Atelier Crenn) and Chef Connaughton and his wife (SingleThread) for earning their 3rd stars today. And again to Chef Crenn for earning a 4th star for Bar Crenn. Having the chance to chat with both of them last night at SingleThread will go down as one of my luckiest moments.

Now looking forward even more to our dinner at Atelier Crenn in December. Now that we’re old friends.
United747 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:53 am

How hard is it really to get a reservation at Sushi Saito? I've asked the Aman Tokyo to try to get me a table to Sukiyabashi Jiro but I'm wondering if I should try Sushi Saito instead.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m
How hard is it really to get a reservation at Sushi Saito? I've asked the Aman Tokyo to try to get me a table to Sukiyabashi Jiro but I'm wondering if I should try Sushi Saito instead.
It's membership only, so impossible unless you've previously eaten there, or has a friend who has and can take you or at least refer you.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

May I highly recommend Sushi Yoshitake, the other 3* sushi option that isn’t as celebrated by the media and yet is often considered as good or even better by many? We had a truly fabulous dining experience there, and Yoshitake san and his team even make attempts to speak in English (or use Google translate!).
Fliar likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Revisited both Carbone and Ai Fiori (both 1* in NYC) recently. Carbone was still fantastic as always, with that spicy rigatoni alla vodka amazing as ever. It was also cheaper than I remember it being ($32 for a course). Excellent whiskey sours as well. Ai Fiori, despite the negative things I had heard from many others, was still very good. The risotto was a bit oversauced, but the ravioli was phenomenal, as was the braised pork belly appetizer, and my dry aged strip loin was absolutely delicious. Good cocktails here as well.

Last Michelin-starred experience in NYC for the year will be Sushi Inoue this weekend - bit of a trek uptown, but looking forward to seeing how it stacks up versus the other delicious spots in the city.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: some
Just returned to Mozaic in Ubud for the 7th time in 15 years. It's not Michelin listed (Indonesia) but would definitely have a star if it was. This place has got better and better over the years and I can still - even more so now - recommend it to all foodies visiting Bali. (That and Ibu Oka ;-)
jbeans likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
Just returned to Mozaic in Ubud for the 7th time in 15 years. It's not Michelin listed (Indonesia) but would definitely have a star if it was. This place has got better and better over the years and I can still - even more so now - recommend it to all foodies visiting Bali. (That and Ibu Oka ;-)
I loved Mozaic when I visited earlier this year! I thought it was better than Locavore which is on Asia's 50 best list. It deserves more recognition.
Fliar likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:12 pm

Ate at Sushi Inoue (1*) this past weekend. Sushi was pretty good, but also realized after the fact that the sushi chef wasn't the head chef. A bit disappointed as a result, given that sushi can very much turn on an individual's predilections. I enjoyed it but it was quite expensive, and relative to Inoue's previous gig at Sushi Azabu - I'd definitely still head downtown for their sushi. Really a borderline 1* IMO.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask or a stupid question, but.... Where do you guys get a physical Michelin Guide? I want to give the one for Kyoto/Osaka away as a present but the only editions I can find for purchase anywhere online are from like 2012.... I understand it's all on the website and all, but I like hardcopy books. Either in Europe or in North America, anywhere really as long as it's in English.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:24 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask or a stupid question, but.... Where do you guys get a physical Michelin Guide? I want to give the one for Kyoto/Osaka away as a present but the only editions I can find for purchase anywhere online are from like 2012.... I understand it's all on the website and all, but I like hardcopy books. Either in Europe or in North America, anywhere really as long as it's in English.
I bought one a while back on Amazon
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by United747

I bought one a while back on Amazon
I looked but the newest one I can find available is the 2013 version. I even checked different amazon country websites... which one did you find?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I looked but the newest one I can find available is the 2013 version. I even checked different amazon country websites... which one did you find?
US ones are what I’ve bought on Amazon. But I see your issue. I can’t find many others.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:36 am

In the midst of my year-end trip...ate at Publiek (1*) in Ghent a few days back. I have to remind myself that Europeans view fine dining as something mirroring leisure based on the time it takes to finish a meal, but the food here was absolutely phenomenal. Fresh ingredients (even for winter), great presentation, and some really quality land meats (the beef tartare and the guinea fowl were divine). It’s a little bit of a walk (10-15 minutes) from city center but definitely worth the short trek. Unfortunately, my other 1* reservation (OAK, for lunch) somehow showed up only as a waitlist for them - so was IDB, so to speak
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:31 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Last weekend, had our annual culinary extravaganza in SF with dinner at 1* Mourad, dinner at 2* Californios, lunch at 1* In Situ, and dinner at newly minted 3* Atelier Crenn (preceded by a round of drinks at 1* Bar Crenn).

Mourad—a staple favorite of ours in the city, but this night suffered from poor service.

In Situ—another staple favorite of ours, though we miss Oops, I Dropped the Lemon Tart from Osteria Fransescana.

Californios—wow, a truly wonderful addition and new favorite. Truly impressive Mexican offering, right up with our best meals at Taco Maria in Costa Mesa and Pujol, Biko, and Quintonil in Mexico City. Very fun and enthusiastic team, to boot. And a steal at $341 total for 2 tasting menus with wine pairings!

Atelier Crenn—wow, wow, wow. First time back since renovation and it’s even better. More drama. More chic. But the creativity and deliciousness on the plate is as impressive as it ever was. Service still flawless, yet with an informal ease that belies its impressiveness. Some of the best avant garde food we’ve had since our last time here or at Alinea or Noma. Easily worthy of its 3rd star.

Not a month ago, I also had the chance to dine at 3* SingleThread (well, it was the night before it received its 3rd star). Extremely impressive kaiseki inspired dinner, definitely worthy of its 3rd star and reminiscent of the finest kaiseki we enjoyed in Japan only in May.
offerendum and jbeans like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:25 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Californios is definitely on my hit list for our next culinary trip to SFO in the Spring.

Thanks for the mini-review!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.