Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
We've always enjoyed Acquerello and, as a repeat visitor, the service becomes much higher touch and conversational. That said, Ms. Boh generally infiltrates herself into the kitchen at virtually every restaurant we visit and ingratiates herself with the chefs as well. At Acquerello that seemed to earn us several more dishes than originally specified.
The manager did bring us an extra course to make up for the lack of proper wine service. From that point forward, we were much more impressed and definitely enjoyed the wine more. But the food was outstanding, regardless. One one crunchy course wasn’t as much in line with the rest, but it still was good. And the service otherwise was friendly, enthusiastic, and very polished.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Happy to hear Coi was good. Will
be in SF in January and almost booked Coi but decided to hold off to see how the new chef's menu, which will be introduced starting next month, pans out. Booked SingleThread instead, which I'm quite excited about!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Happy to hear Coi was good. Will
be in SF in January and almost booked Coi but decided to hold off to see how the new chef's menu, which will be introduced starting next month, pans out. Booked SingleThread instead, which I'm quite excited about!
I’m dying to try SingleThread...and Commis. Enjoy and please do report back!

I’m also waiting expectantly for Cyrus to return in Sonoma.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’m dying to try SingleThread...and Commis. Enjoy and please do report back!

I’m also waiting expectantly for Cyrus to return in Sonoma.
We much preferred Commis to Coi, though I grant these were back-to-back a couple years ago.

Too, we can't wait for Cyrus. Again, on back-to-back evenings, we far preferred it to TFL (though subsequent TFL meals were improved).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aa213bb
We much preferred Commis to Coi, though I grant these were back-to-back a couple years ago.

Too, we can't wait for Cyrus. Again, on back-to-back evenings, we far preferred it to TFL (though subsequent TFL meals were improved).
We tried TFL in July 2006...and have never wanted to return. The jacket requirement in California is the height of ridiculousness IMO, and yet it was required there despite it being over 100 F. And still is. That’s also why I’ve never bothered with Per Se. We also thought our dinner, while very good, wasn’t in any way mind-blowing or adventurous in any way. Too traditional. Too safe. Too many desserts to fill us up at the end. We were underwhelmed.

Cyrus in Dec 2009 was one of our most memorable meals ever. Right up there with subsequent meals at Noma, Geranium, Alinea, L20, Manresa, Central, MAP Cafe Cena del Oro, Le Bernadin, Amber, Guy Savoy, The Test Kitchen, Saam at the Bazaar in LA, etc.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 19, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:30 pm

Especially as, I know first-hand that jacket requirement is not enforced for all guests.

The best menu we've had at TFL was for a friend's birthday party in the private room upstairs ... a "Greatest Hits", which was actually rather nice.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Cyrus closing was very sad indeed! Really miss it.

Originally Posted by bhrubin

We tried TFL in July 2006...and have never wanted to return. The jacket requirement in California is the height of ridiculousness IMO, and yet it was required there despite it being over 100 F. And still is. That’s also why I’ve never bothered with Per Se. We also thought our dinner, while very good, wasn’t in any way mind-blowing or adventurous in any way. Too traditional. Too safe. Too many desserts to fill us up at the end. We were underwhelmed.

Cyrus in Dec 2009 was one of our most memorable meals ever. Right up there with subsequent meals at Noma, Geranium, Alinea, L20, Manresa, Central, MAP Cafe Cena del Oro, Le Bernadin, Amber, Guy Savoy, The Test Kitchen, Saam at the Bazaar in LA, etc.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:09 am

Cyrus is definitely in the top 5 restaurants of all time for me. I remember the first time I went there after a long day wine tasting. I was in shorts and they made me put on their 36¨ waist Docker chinos and some oversized blazer. I looked ridiculous, and almost walked out but the thought of lining up in another restaurant in Healdsburg was too much, so I decided to go for it. One of the best meals ever. Much better than Meadowood, which I went to within a few months after Cyrus. All my meals at Cyrus were better than the best meal at Manresa. And all meals at Manresa are better than Meadowood, which I only went to once.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:45 am
Suspended

Cyrus (Dec 2009) is one of our all-time favorites—and relaxed the jacket requirement for me on advance request. But we also had incredible meals at both Manresa (Oct 2016) and Meadowood (2012). We also had incredible meals at Saison (Dec 2014) and Benu (Dec 2015). Quince (Dec 2016) was a bit disappointing. We’d return to all but Quince. And we’d go back to Atelier Crenn, too...and try the new chef at Coi next year.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 23, 2017 at 10:56 am
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:52 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Several years ago we got to dine privately with mr. Keller and he is a great person, a real class act. FWIW: I much prefer per se to tfl, where a jacket makes more sense and there’s not a deluge of monogrammed stuff.
bhrubin and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:08 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DSI
Several years ago we got to dine privately with mr. Keller and he is a great person, a real class act. FWIW: I much prefer per se to tfl, where a jacket makes more sense and there’s not a deluge of monogrammed stuff.
I’m off the TFL next week, I am curious to see how it compares to Per Se. And also agree, jacket makes a lot more sense in NYC than it does Napa
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DSI
A jacket requirement doesn’t ever make sense to me. A smart elegant dress code is more than sufficient in today’s modern world IMO. But I agree that the choice to wear a jacket makes more sense in fall/winter New York than most seasons in California,
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I had a glorious solo lunch at The Modern a few days ago. I had the six course tasting menu with wine pairing. I felt that the first course, egg yolk with lightly scrambled egg, sturgeon caviar, and toasted brioche with dill and fennel, was better than the egg caviar at Jean-Georges. The foie gras tart with honey and oats, paired with Chateau Suduiraut 1989, was exceptional. I also felt that the scallop course, ever so lightly grilled, served over black trumpet mushroom purée with a citrus-pistachio sauce and button mushroom carpaccio, was one of the best and most memorable scallop dishes I've ever had.

The sommelier, Barbara, was a charming gem. For the sea bass course she had me do a white vs red Burgundy tasting, as she rightly noted that both stood up to the fish. Alain Chavy Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Champ Gains 2014, vs Domaine Trapet Gevrey Chambertin 2014. Both wonderful but the Gevrey Chambertin was a stunning example of its kind.

The Modern has now become one of my favorite restaurants.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I had a glorious solo lunch at The Modern a few days ago. I had the six course tasting menu with wine pairing. I felt that the first course, egg yolk with lightly scrambled egg, sturgeon caviar, and toasted brioche with dill and fennel, was better than the egg caviar at Jean-Georges. The foie gras tart with honey and oats, paired with Chateau Suduiraut 1989, was exceptional. I also felt that the scallop course, ever so lightly grilled, served over black trumpet mushroom purée with a citrus-pistachio sauce and button mushroom carpaccio, was one of the best and most memorable scallop dishes I've ever had.

The sommelier, Barbara, was a charming gem. For the sea bass course she had me do a white vs red Burgundy tasting, as she rightly noted that both stood up to the fish. Alain Chavy Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Champ Gains 2014, vs Domaine Trapet Gevrey Chambertin 2014. Both wonderful but the Gevrey Chambertin was a stunning example of its kind.

The Modern has now become one of my favorite restaurants.
The dining room at The Modern s excellent. I was a bit skeptical going in because I found the Bar Room to be average at best, but the Dining Room is well worth the meal.

As for myself, I ate at Barrafina (1 Star) in London last night at the SoHo location. Very good food overall, but for my money I have eaten better tapas at non-starred places in NYC. I also was not a fan of them interpreting my request for a glass of wine as a bottle. I’m too nice of a person to make a stink, but drinking an average bottle of Spanish white wasn’t the greatest.

Tonight is Pollen Street Social (1 Star), and I ended up keeping my reservation at Dinner at Heston Blumenthal for Christmas...not a lot of other choices, and I’m interested to see whether the haters are wrong
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
The French Laundry

I had lunch today at The French Laundry and it was just spectacular. Better than EMP a few weeks ago and my best meal of the year. I’ll post menu and pics tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.