Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:40 pm

Reading a number of these reviews it seems there is a lot of "ok" and "good not great" - both of which I understand. I have had 3++++ experiences and very sup par experiences at Mich 3 star places.

With that said, is there one 3 star meal in Paris that is a "must do"? I live in NYC and most people I know in the biz advise against doing these meals in Paris for a number of reasons. Curious what people here think.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Reading a number of these reviews it seems there is a lot of "ok" and "good not great" - both of which I understand. I have had 3++++ experiences and very sup par experiences at Mich 3 star places.

With that said, is there one 3 star meal in Paris that is a "must do"? I live in NYC and most people I know in the biz advise against doing these meals in Paris for a number of reasons. Curious what people here think.
For us, Guy Savoy was very pricey and yet still worth every penny. An extraordinary dinner.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bhrubin

For us, Guy Savoy was very pricey and yet still worth every penny. An extraordinary dinner.
Agreed 100%. Most expensive meal of my life, but I’ll never forget how great it was.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by United747

Agreed 100%. Most expensive meal of my life, but I’ll never forget how great it was.
Never been to Guy Savoy but for me it would be Epicure!! I'll never forget how they were able to take flavors I thought I knew and make them so much deeper and richer.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:04 pm

Thanks. It interesting, if you believe in the wisdom of crowds, to do a google search on the 10 3 star restaurants in Paris. Only one was 4.7 out of 5. Most were 4.5 (including Guy Savoy). Interestingly, the most expensive one Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen was 4.1 / 5.

I would expect all would be closer to 4.7 on the low end and 4.9 on the high. These are all on 300+ reviews.

I noticed something interesting on the Guy Savoy website - they claim they hold a table each day at lunch for those who may want to try but are afraid (or cant afford the price). Its a 3 course prix fixe for 130 Euro with 10 Euro wine by the glass. Anyone have any experience with this deal?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
if you believe in the wisdom of crowds...
No. Just no. One only needs to look at current events to see why one should never trust the masses.

I noticed something interesting on the Guy Savoy website - they claim they hold a table each day at lunch for those who may want to try but are afraid (or cant afford the price). Its a 3 course prix fixe for 130 Euro with 10 Euro wine by the glass. Anyone have any experience with this deal?
Sounds like a great deal. You should go for it!
United747 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bhrubin
No. Just no. One only needs to look at current events to see why one should never trust the masses.

Sounds like a great deal. You should go for it!
Haha, yep. Go with Michelin Guide, La Liste or something similar if you want reviews of a place. And I agree that the lunch deal sound intriguing, Le Louis XV has something similar in Monte Carlo that is a great deal.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Lasarte Barcelona ***

I was 3 nights in Barcelona. Barcelona has 2 restaurants with 3 stars at Guide Michelin, so this 2 were my "natural" choice. First I wanted to try Lasarte at the second evening but no table was available. So we went on the first day. I had heared mixed reviews on this restaurant so I was a little sceptical. But 3 stars are still "magical".We arrived at 8:30 and were the first guests. It was a sittle wired and we feeled somewhat monitored. It was much better when other guests arrived, the restaurant was sold out later when I´m right. The room is decoratedmodern and in bright colors.

Some art at the table:
Normally I decline the usual non-alcoholic cocktail as aperetiv, as I see no sense in paying overcharges prices for some fruit juices. This time I accepted and a few Moment later 2 guys stood in front of our table and mixed our cocktails. Definitively big cinema if needed or not The cocktail tasted good.Beside an a la carte meal they offer 2 differnt menues., The Tasting Menu (235,00 €) and the Lasarte menu (205,00 €). They were able to offer us the Lasarte menu in a pescarian Version so we went for it.First came 3 different appetizers, all creative and of great quality:

The bread and butter (more cream) selection:

Further appetizers were an Oyster and some green cream, both very nice.

A highlight was the „Queen Scallop with mushrooms, quail egg, cauliflower and truffle“. One oft he best dishes I had over the last months.„Crayfish and sweede and lemon“ – normally this dish comes with cow shank broth cubes, but the changed it for us. Nevertheless very good.„Red tuna belly, kaffir lime, watercress and raw fennel“. The tuna was perfect done, the texture matched perfect. Even if I´m not a fan of fennel I liked it.Sea bass with mantis shrimp broth on a vegetable purée with truffle and clams mayonaise“. On the menu this dish comes with snails stew, they served us a beautiful asparagus arrangement.Last main course was „Virrey fish with iodized sauce, king crab, raw tomatoes and saffron“. Delicious.First dessert: „Ginger and passion fruit sorbet with coconut, carrot and papaya“. I avsolutely liked it.

„Coffee creamy, cocoa, black garlic and raspberry“. Sounds strange but tasted good, even if it wasn´t my most favourite dessert.

Last but not least: Petits-fours:
I was really impressed by our visit. The food was outstanding, the service flawless. The restaurants design is modern and elegant. Form e absolutely worth 3 stars.Only one thing was not to my liking but not the restaurants fault. In the middle of our meal the table behing us was occupied by 2 Russian speaking couples. It is fascinating how loud you can speak in a restaurant and I would never watch videos on my mobile with full turned up sound……
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:39 pm
THR

Thanks for the pictures of Lasarte! We managed to get a dinner booking there for our five night Barcelona trip in June.

We also have reservations for:
  • Disfrutar (dinner)
  • El Celler de Can Roca (lunch)
  • Uma by Iker Erauzkin (lunch).
Any thoughts as to whether that is too many for 5 nights (all on separate days and mixture of lunches and dinner)?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Why should it be too much? One starred meal per day is absulutely fine, personally I had already more than 3 stars on one day.....
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:42 pm
THR

That's what I wanted to hear

But I was also referring to - are some of them too similar? Is it too much fine dining in Barcelona vs. tapas and other options?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:23 am

Am having a lovely trip visiting some wineries in Burgundy and the Rhone Valley and had a wonderful lunch at Maison Pic (3*) in Valence yesterday. Highlights were the amuse bouche of different textures and colors of carrot with yogurt (translating the simple into the divine--that's what I love!), the stunning berlingots (her signature dish of goat cheese dumplings made with matcha and a watercress veloute), and the John Dory with Brittany abalone. The wine pairings were great as well. Shockingly, in a traditional French 3-star restaurant, the berlingots was paired with a sake!! My jaw dropped to the floor. Sake is becoming a popular pairing in the US and even in the UK--for instance The Fat Duck pairs The Sound of the Sea course with sake, but I did not think that a restaurant in the Rhone Valley would dare pour one as a pairing. Even funnier was that the sommelier's explanation was as if I had no idea what it was. She started to say "it's made from rice and is about 16% alcohol." I said "mm-hmm" and her eyes widened as she said "you've had it?" 😂 She also later paired a Brie course with a Swiss cider! I was also poured, and given a refill, of the very classy Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux 2005, which goes for far north of 200 bucks a bottle.

I've got Alain Ducasse Le Louis XV at the end of the week!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by THR
That's what I wanted to hear

But I was also referring to - are some of them too similar? Is it too much fine dining in Barcelona vs. tapas and other options?
This is a question I fear you must answer yourself as it depends on personal taste. I see no problem as I don’t ask myself such questions. I book what I wonna try most. Also in my opinion there are always significant differences at the top-level.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Am having a lovely trip visiting some wineries in Burgundy and the Rhone Valley and had a wonderful lunch at Maison Pic (3*) in Valence yesterday. Highlights were the amuse bouche of different textures and colors of carrot with yogurt (translating the simple into the divine--that's what I love!), the stunning berlingots (her signature dish of goat cheese dumplings made with matcha and a watercress veloute), and the John Dory with Brittany abalone. The wine pairings were great as well. Shockingly, in a traditional French 3-star restaurant, the berlingots was paired with a sake!! My jaw dropped to the floor. Sake is becoming a popular pairing in the US and even in the UK--for instance The Fat Duck pairs The Sound of the Sea course with sake, but I did not think that a restaurant in the Rhone Valley would dare pour one as a pairing. Even funnier was that the sommelier's explanation was as if I had no idea what it was. She started to say "it's made from rice and is about 16% alcohol." I said "mm-hmm" and her eyes widened as she said "you've had it?" 😂 She also later paired a Brie course with a Swiss cider! I was also poured, and given a refill, of the very classy Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux 2005, which goes for far north of 200 bucks a bottle.

I've got Alain Ducasse Le Louis XV at the end of the week!
Sake can be a very surprisingly good pairing option and becoming more mainstream as well.
bhrubin and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:57 am

I wholly agree with that! I just didn't expect to see it in France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.