Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jbeans
Planning a trip to Chicago, and just saw that Grace has abruptly closed?! https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/d...t-closing.html

This will actually be my first time in Chicago. Of course will try to go to Alinea, any other recommendations/tips are highly appreciated please! Thanks in advance!
I actually found both Grace and Alinea to be overrated. Alinea is a lot of fun from a presentation standpoint, but the food wasn't mindblowing. Grace was just a disappointment overall - but the way things ended there certainly didn't go well. The only other fine dining I have had is Tru, which is fantastic but is also closing.

So yeah...I got nothin' for you. But the mid-tier dining options I have had are quite excellent...so I have no doubt you'll find something tasty
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:34 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Planning a trip to Chicago, and just saw that Grace has abruptly closed?! https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/d...t-closing.html

This will actually be my first time in Chicago. Of course will try to go to Alinea, any other recommendations/tips are highly appreciated please! Thanks in advance!
We thought Alinea was mind-blowing and one of our most memorable and delicious meals of all time. Greatly recommended.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:30 am

Thanks! I feel like as a first timer in Chicago, Alinea is kinda mandatory.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We thought Alinea was mind-blowing and one of our most memorable and delicious meals of all time. Greatly recommended.
I would love to hear your recommendations for mid-tier spots as well! We'll be there for 4 nights, so will have plenty of time to sample all kinds of stuff.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I actually found both Grace and Alinea to be overrated. Alinea is a lot of fun from a presentation standpoint, but the food wasn't mindblowing. Grace was just a disappointment overall - but the way things ended there certainly didn't go well. The only other fine dining I have had is Tru, which is fantastic but is also closing.

So yeah...I got nothin' for you. But the mid-tier dining options I have had are quite excellent...so I have no doubt you'll find something tasty
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:20 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I would love to hear your recommendations for mid-tier spots as well! We'll be there for 4 nights, so will have plenty of time to sample all kinds of stuff.
Unfortunately, our only fine dining in Chicago includes Alinea and now-closed L20. I can’t give you recommendations other than to suggest other Michelin 1 stars and whatever specialty restaurants that interest you. The restaurants that most interest me for my next visit are Everest, Blackbird, the Girl and the Goat. Edit: I forgot to include Next, too!
jbeans likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 23, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I am a giant fan (and season ticket holder) of Next in Chicago....Chef Jenner has really elevated their cuisine. He's doing french food for the first half of the year, and that's his wheelhouse.
bhrubin and jbeans like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I was very disappointed by Grace this past summer. Girl and the Goat was good but I don't get all the hype. I preferred Duck Duck Goat. I know neither of those has a star.

For one starred venues in Chicago, I heartily recommend Topolobampo if you like Mexican food!
jbeans likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
For one starred venues in Chicago, I heartily recommend Topolobampo if you like Mexican food!
That would be my first choice too.
CappuccinoAddict and jbeans like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Unfortunately, our only fine dining in Chicago includes Alinea and now-closed L20. I can’t give you recommendations other than to suggest other Michelin 1 stars and whatever specialty restaurants that interest you. The restaurants that most interest me for my next visit are Everest, Blackbird, the Girl and the Goat. Edit: I forgot to include Next, too!
Currently in Chicago. Although we’re not booked at Alinea this trip I’ve eaten there a few times on previous trips and it is spectacular. We had the 8 course tasting dinner and wine pairing at 1 Star Spiaggia tonight and we were very, very pleased. It was very good and the wine pairings were pretty innovative. I highly recommend it.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks! I feel like as a first timer in Chicago, Alinea is kinda mandatory.

If you want a mix of high end and mid tier restaurants in Chicago, the easy advice for a first-timer is focus on 3 chefs: Achatz, Izard, and Kahan. You really can't go wrong with any of their restaurants and you have a variety to choose from. They're not necessarily the 3 best chefs in Chicago or include all the best restaurants, but I will almost guarantee you won't have a bad meal or experience. And then get a Frontera Fresco torta at O'Hare on your way home!

And finally, plan your next trip once you realize Chicago has some of the best (but not necessarily famous) restaurants in the country, and there are 50 more you didn't get to try.
LizGross144 and jbeans like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Green River is another example of a very good mid-tier restaurant. The Bar Manager is one of the best in the country and the food has been recognized with a (surprise?) Michelin Star. Really excellent.
jbeans likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:34 am

We ate at 2 star Smyth in Chicago last night. We had the 12 course tasting menu with wine pairing. The food and wine were fantastic and the service was just wonderful. Everyone we met in the service team was incredibly friendly and “read” us to give us just the type of service we wanted. I highly recommend it.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Heading to Modena this July and want to make sure I snag a reservation at Osteria Francescana. Has anyone had success using the concierge service through their Platinum Amex to book this reservation?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:58 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by MillValleyMom
Heading to Modena this July and want to make sure I snag a reservation at Osteria Francescana. Has anyone had success using the concierge service through their Platinum Amex to book this reservation?
I've been there twice but booked direct both times. Keep in mind that a lunch reservation may be easier to get than dinner.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Great news about Smyth! It and Oriole are very much on my radar for my next Chicago visit.

I've tried multiple times to book Osteria Francescana but it's always been fully booked.

I'll be at The Fat Duck in a few weeks and am very excited! I was just sent a questionnaire to be filled out for me and my guests. Questions are about childhood memories and the like. I've been informed there are three levels of wine pairings, £155, £285, and a whopping £950!!! Each have 6 wines and one sake, though the wines stretch through multiple courses. The £950 pairing includes Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet and Domaine de la Romanee Conti Grands-Echezeaux. I am tempted, though it seems silly to spend that much. Will report back!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:34 pm

We ate at 1 star Roister tonight. It was superb. One of the dishes we had was the # 5 wagyu steak which was mind bendingly good but really it all was. We sat at the counter by the kitchen. Very positive experience.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.