Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by thelark
When are you heading to L'Arpege? Interested to hear a recent review. We will be in town end of Sept. - have a res at AD Plaza Athénée and considering adding this to the list.

Arpege is NOT to be missed.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Arpege is NOT to be missed.
YMMV. I had lunch there a couple summers back, and while most of the dishes were amazing, I was over the concept once we were 2/3 done with the meal.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Just returned Monday from our 2 weeks and 21 star extravaganza in Japan. A quick summary:

TOKYO

<snip>

2* Narisawa—absolutely worthy of 3 stars and one of my 2 or 3 favorite meals in Japan. Food was stunning and delicious. Service was fabulous, and the mixed wine and sake pairings were tremendous. An amazing dinner, and yet I wasn’t stuffed like I’d normally be after such a lengthy 2.5 hr meal. I’d return in a second. Highly recommended, and agree that it’s one of the best in the world.

<snip

KYOTO

<snip>

2* Gion Sasaki—what a lunch, a truly memorable and very fun counter experience as the only Anglos, yet the team and chefs tried to speak with us and used Google translate even a few times, and the surrounding customers all spoke with us too! Almost everyone was surprised we’d heard of this place, and most were shocked we’d been able to get booking as foreigners. Most fun meal of our two weeks as a result, with very good food and Kaiseki, some truly intriguing courses that were all quite delicious, better even than 3* Wayamamura in Nara. Was just $100 per person for an incredible lunch. Highly recommended.

1* Tempura Mizuki—wow. Truly delicious and memorable tempura bar dinner at the RC Kyoto. Decided to go a la carte so we could do as much tempura that we wanted as possible, especially since we don’t normally like fried foods, but was so delicious we over did it and bill came to $700 for the two of us! That’s how yummy it was. Paired with reasonable champagne that was a bit too pricey, but overall would return in a heartbeat. Highly recommended.

<snip>
As I wrote in the other thread, which I intended to post here, we scored a reservation at Narisawa during our stay in Tokyo.

We're definitely interested in trying Gion Sasaki for lunch, if we are lucky, but first we need to figure out our schedule while in Kyoto and whether it is going to be two or three of us while there.

Kitcho Arashiyama is simply out of my budget. However, I may try to get a reservation at Tempura Mizuki; yes, I know it is a long shot with the tempura counter having only eight seats.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
As I wrote in the other thread, which I intended to post here, we scored a reservation at Narisawa during our stay in Tokyo.

We're definitely interested in trying Gion Sasaki for lunch, if we are lucky, but first we need to figure out our schedule while in Kyoto and whether it is going to be two or three of us while there.

Kitcho Arashiyama is simply out of my budget. However, I may try to get a reservation at Tempura Mizuki; yes, I know it is a long shot with the tempura counter having only eight seats.
I also highly recommend 3* Wa Yamamura lunch in Nara for the ridiculously cheap $56 or so per person. Even if you’re not going to Nara for the temples (which you should!) the lunch is insanely good for that price!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

I also highly recommend 3* Wa Yamamura lunch in Nara for the ridiculously cheap $56 or so per person. Even if you’re not going to Nara for the temples (which you should!) the lunch is insanely good for that price!
Thanks. We are planning a day trip from Kyoto to Nara and Osaka. We'll definitely try to fit Wa Yamamura in our schedule. I know, it is a small restaurant where reservations are a must.

Thanks!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
YMMV. I had lunch there a couple summers back, and while most of the dishes were amazing, I was over the concept once we were 2/3 done with the meal.

I really enjoyed it, love what he does with veggies. We still had fish and fowl.

I enjoyed it so much that I am going to his farm when I return from my trip.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Aug 14, 2019 at 2:32 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I really enjoyed it, love what he does with veggies. We still had fish and foul.

I enjoyed it so much that I am going to his farm when I return from my trip.
OK, I had some health problems during my meal at L`Aperge and while I adore vegetables I wasn´t too impressed.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
I thought I would give a report on my wonderful meal at Schwarzwaldstube in the Black Forest which has three stars. We had a shorter degustation menu of 5 courses with paired wines. Including other drinks and tip the bill came to £650 for two of us. Easily the best and most delicious meal we have ever eaten, plus excellent service and stunning views. I’m planning to go back already!
Fliar likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:12 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hi Everyone! First time posting to this thread. I have a reservation in 2 weeks at Osteria Francescana. Looking forward to reporting back on it!
Yahillwe, Fliar, bhrubin and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Just learned that we received permission to NOT have to wear a jacket for l'Astrance for October. Cheers!
JBord likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Just learned that we received permission to NOT have to wear a jacket for l'Astrance for October. Cheers!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Since we're back on the topic of dress...

Still working on our Spain trip. So far we have Cinc Sentits (dinner) in Barcelona and Akelarre (lunch) in San Sebastian. We may add a 3rd starred restaurant, but not sure -- we actually really enjoy trying more typical local cuisine when we travel. So tapas, pinxtos, cider houses, paella, traditional Catalan etc. will be heavily visited.

Setting aside people's opinions on how one SHOULD dress for Michelin restaurants (because they vary and we don't need that discussion again), how should we dress to fit in at these particular spots? Akelarre for lunch, I assume would be fairly casual, maybe khakis and a polo for me? Cinc Sentits, I assume it would be khakis and a button down shirt at a minimum. What about a sport coat?

Again - we don't want to be over or under dressed, just want to fit in. I prefer casual when it doesn't stand out. Part of the question is I also don't want to have to pack a suit or a sport coat for this trip just for 1 or 2 meals.

My wife can figure this out on her own, I still haven't figured out how to discuss what's appropriate dress for a female.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by sophialite
Gaggan - 8/10.

Bo Lan - 1/10. Waste of my life.

Originally Posted by Fliar
Agreed on Bo Lan. Nex time try Gaggan's sister restaurant (Gaa). I actually much preferred it over Gaggan.
Unfortunately it looks the closure of Gaggan has accelerated to August 24th of this year instead of sometime in 2020, sadly a few days before my reservation. Would you be able to share what you didn't like about Bo Lan? We're also looking at Gaa (subject to the restaurant continuing to stay open), but leaning towards the Thai cuisine option.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Aug 8, 2019 at 12:42 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Unfortunately it looks the closure of Gaggan has accelerated to August 24th of this year instead of sometime in 2020, sadly a few days before my reservation. Would you be able to share what you didn't like about Bo Lan? We're also looking at Gaa (subject to the restaurant continuing to stay open), but leaning towards the Thai cuisine option.
For what it’s worth if you want relatively traditional Thai food executed very well I’d highly recommend Paste. It was immeasurably better than Nahm in all but ambiance (its in a shopping centre in that bizarre Asian way that seem to be an acceptable location for fine dining).
bhrubin, jbeans and Beltway2A like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JBord

My wife can figure this out on her own, I still haven't figured out how to discuss what's appropriate dress for a female.
The by far safest approach is "You look lovely in that outfit, dear!"
JBord likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.