Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Interesting there hasn't been any discussion on this yet: https://robbreport.com/food-drink/di...stars-2883698/

Both Sukiyabashi Jiro and Sushi Saito (both previously 3*) have been dropped by the Michelin guide because they don't allow public reservations. You either need to be a regular, a guest of a regular, or (and only if you are very lucky, this isn't a guarantee) staying at one of Tokyo's best hotels (Aman, MO, Pen etc.) and get the concierge to book you a seat.

Thoughts?
They should pretty much drop half the list then.

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Am surprised they didn't change earlier. And doubt they care about the stars at all. After all, they won't have any problems filling their seats and I hope more Japanese restaurants go this route since some bookings are getting so hard to come by
I don't think these places are going to become any easier to book. The whole reason to go invite/connection-only is precisely to avoid all the legions of lazy tourists who pick restaurants just based on stars.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by gengar
lazy tourists who pick restaurants just based on stars.
What´s wrong with it?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by offerendum
What´s wrong with it?
Think for yourself and develop your own tastes.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:52 am

They should pretty much drop half the list then.

I don't think these places are going to become any easier to book. The whole reason to go invite/connection-only is precisely to avoid all the legions of lazy tourists who pick restaurants just based on stars.
You do realise that is exactly the raison d’etre of the guide for the last 120 odd years? To guide travellers on where to get a good meal whilst travelling in areas that are unfamiliar to them.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by offerendum
What´s wrong with it?
I don't think there's anything wrong with it (other than being suboptimal to the reader as the Michelin Guide is often full of #*$!) - the context was speaking from the perspective of Japanese restaurants that engage in the practice (again, not that I agree with or condone).

Last edited by gengar; Nov 29, 2019 at 4:55 am
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
You do realise that is exactly the raison d’etre of the guide for the last 120 odd years? To guide travellers on where to get a good meal whilst travelling in areas that are unfamiliar to them.
I don’t think these points are inconsistent. If anything the argument is that the guide should drop more restaurants if that’s the rationale they used for dropping Jiros.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
I don’t think these points are inconsistent. If anything the argument is that the guide should drop more restaurants if that’s the rationale they used for dropping Jiros.
My core point was aimed at the comments about lazy tourism and doing your own research, which is exactly what the Guide is there to do.

I don’t agree with every rating the guide has made, but I don’t have the time, contacts and knowledge to form my own opinion in every location I visit.
TWA884 and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Nov 29, 2019 at 8:26 am
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:37 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
My core point was aimed at the comments about lazy tourism and doing your own research, which is exactly what the Guide is there to do.

I don’t agree with every rating the guide has made, but I don’t have the time, contacts and knowledge to form my own opinion in every location I visit.
Exactly.

The same reason I look at the Michelin guide, check out OAD and, of course, search for recommendations from the excellent contributors to this very thread.

I agree that there is always the Chef's Table, Instagram or FOMO effect that can destroy the very appeal of some the smaller, off the beaten track places. But as long as these establishments are getting bums in seats and prospering, then who am I to begrudge that?

And last I checked, Jiro was the subject of a pretty widely seen documentary which kinda let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.
TWA884 likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Nov 29, 2019 at 8:37 am Reason: Up with the Establishment!
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:15 pm

And it's precisely what some of these restaurants are seeking to avoid by closing public reservations. The purpose of the Michelin Guide supports this phenomenon so clearly there is no disagreement on that point, even if it (apparently) strikes a nerve.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
But as long as these establishments are getting bums in seats and prospering, then who am I to begrudge that?
What's interesting is that I've recently seen more and more of these traditionally "invite-only" restaurants show up on direct booking websites. I wonder if this is in response to the threat of getting Michelin stars pulled, in which case it's incredibly weaselly if these spots want to show off Michelin stars but don't want hordes of foreigners showing up either.

The other issue with Michelin Guide (and another reason it's just full of crap) is where do they draw the line on this? I mean, seriously - if a restaurant accepts one single seat per year from the public, does that qualify them for Michelin? I believe in 2017, Jiro auctioned off seats in partnership with a western-oriented booking website - does that count? Or what if they show up on a public booking website, even if they don't actually take a single public reservation?

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this in other countries, too. Sushi Amamoto in Taipei (run by the brother of the proprietor of the Higashi-Azabu restaurant), for example, doesn't even have a web presence anymore, much less accepts reservations.

Last edited by gengar; Nov 29, 2019 at 2:07 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:33 pm

And it's precisely what some of these restaurants are seeking to avoid by closing public reservations. The purpose of the Michelin Guide supports this phenomenon.
I’m not sure something that is 120 years old qualifies as a phenomenon.

But I take the point that it is within the gift of the restaurant to choose how it attracts its customers, and likewise the decision of guides to reflect this in whether or not they list the restaurant. A more interesting point is the reticence and avoidance of foreign business. I can understand it on one level, they don’t need the money or the hassle of dealing with strangers. But if you tried it in other countries if could be construed as skirting close to racism.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:02 pm

I’m not sure something that is 120 years old qualifies as a phenomenon.
By "phenomenon" I was referring to the restaurant practice of refusing public reservations.

But I take the point that it is within the gift of the restaurant to choose how it attracts its customers, and likewise the decision of guides to reflect this in whether or not they list the restaurant. A more interesting point is the reticence and avoidance of foreign business. I can understand it on one level, they don’t need the money or the hassle of dealing with strangers. But if you tried it in other countries if could be construed as skirting close to racism.
Absolutely so and the level of xenophobia in such an otherwise developed country is staggering. I still remember making a reservation at Hyotei and literally the very first question they asked was what the nationality of the guests was. I told them not to bother.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:59 pm

Pretty excited for the next few weeks—
Chefs Table at Brooklyn Fare - First time going. Partner and I by tradition do EMP every year but since it’ll be our fifth time in NYC this year there’s no point.

Gramercy Tavern - we’ve done this quite a few times but it fell off the list after 2014 for no particular reason. Ate there back again in July and regretted not eating there 5 years in between. Going again in a few weeks.

Arpege - one of our close friends is joining us. He’s vegan and so I thought it would be a cool New Years gift.

next year I’m aiming to do Tickets again, as well El Cellar again. Will try Mirazur for the first time.

did Osteria Francescana, Bo Lan, and Gaggan over the summer. OF was excellent but not amazing enough for me to try to go again. Bo Lan sucked and I regretted wasting time on that place.

Gaggan will always confuse me, but is up there with my favorite experiences. Would go again if I didn’t have to fly all the way to BKK for it.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:02 pm

As an aside I’m looking for a top sushi place in NYC and am having trouble deciding, so would love recommendations.

Azabu — my old haunt back in 2009-2011. I hear it’s fallen off quite a bit.

Yasuda — reliably good but want to go somewhere new and less corporate. Every time I eat there in the summer I feel like I’m surrounded by big law summer associates.

Nakazawa —excellent the first time I ate there. Meh the second time.

any other places I should look at?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite
any other places I should look at?
I still find myself at Yasuda at least once every time I go to NYC, it's just that consistent. Ginza Onodera and Sushi Amane are my other regular spots. Sushi Noz if you like warm rice.

EDIT: Sushi Amane was not nearly as good on my last two visits in early 2020, so I striked it out.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 30, 2020 at 8:57 am
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I agree they won't be bothered by the loss of stars. In fact they probably welcome it as it stops wealthy but culturally and culinary naive foreigners showing up. I wonder if Amex would be able to make bookings? Probably not by the sound of that article.
Credit care concierge aren’t that helpful especially for the really to tough to book restaurants

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.