Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by gengar
The whole reason to go invite/connection-only is precisely to avoid all the legions of lazy tourists who pick restaurants just based on stars.
I think it is more than just laziness. Most of these restaurants are so small, given a choice of customers, they want regulars and also those who are knowledgeable and appreciate their food
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Pretty excited for the next few weeks—
Chefs Table at Brooklyn Fare - First time going. Partner and I by tradition do EMP every year but since it’ll be our fifth time in NYC this year there’s no point.

Gramercy Tavern - we’ve done this quite a few times but it fell off the list after 2014 for no particular reason. Ate there back again in July and regretted not eating there 5 years in between. Going again in a few weeks.

Arpege - one of our close friends is joining us. He’s vegan and so I thought it would be a cool New Years gift.

next year I’m aiming to do Tickets again, as well El Cellar again. Will try Mirazur for the first time.

did Osteria Francescana, Bo Lan, and Gaggan over the summer. OF was excellent but not amazing enough for me to try to go again. Bo Lan sucked and I regretted wasting time on that place.

Gaggan will always confuse me, but is up there with my favorite experiences. Would go again if I didn’t have to fly all the way to BKK for it.
Any special reason you wanted to visit Brooklyn Fare? For set menu counter dining, I find Blanca’s food to be more interesting and tasty. Also find the use of acidity to be over-bearing in several of Brooklyn Fare’s dishes
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
At my birthday I had booked a table at Alain Ducasse. The called me a few days beform to confirm the reservation (not a fan of this) and asked if we celebrate something special. I´m not much after such things but I told them about it, normally it means an additional cake or so. In an email they wrote they are very experienced in celebrations…..
I always thought the restaurant is designed in a very nice way, perhaps the most elegant in London.

When I visited in 2012 there was still another chef and I was quite disappointed. This day I was excited to see how they developed, as they still hold their 3 stars at Michelin. First some snacks, bread and butter.

We took an adapted tasting menu. It started with Dorset Crab, Celeriac and Caviar.

Marinated wild Sea Bream, citrus and seaweed broth

Native Lobster, celery and homardine sauce

Line-caught Sea Bass, crapaudine, Immortelle Flower and sorrel

Dover Sole, watercress and hazelnut

Cheese (no choice given). As I love British cheese I found it sad they served only French Cheese

Petit fours

Pistacio souffle with ice cream

Exotic Fruit contemporary vacherin

From the dessert trolly:

Any Birthday surprise? Nope, nothing. I don´t have a problem with it but a little wired if they do such a deal about it before.
How did I like the dinner? It was good, a notch above Gordon Ramsay. But I´m not convinced what I got was on 2 star level. Again I found both Ledbury and Core foodwise better.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:52 am

Gaggan will always confuse me, but is up there with my favorite experiences. Would go again if I didn’t have to fly all the way to BKK for it.
Just got back from BKK and dined at the new Gaggan. Price has doubled since the prev spot, at 12k thb (~$400) for a seat at G's spot. The experience was very fun and unique, food had some wonderful hits and some confusing misses. Overall I found that it's a try it once type of place. During the meal Gaggan told all of us "you can't come back here even if you wanted to, I'm all booked up." Interesting experience, but nothing else calls you to come back, not the food and not even the chef himself.
HKTraveler and offerendum like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I'm still looking for the perfect roast chicken. Can French Onion Soup, Roast Chicken and Creme Brule ever make a Michelin meal? I live in hope. Bouillabaisse has made it. Bao of various descriptions have made it. Food done to perfection will always be worth a special trip for me
Atelier Maitre Albert by Guy Savoy makes you wonder how a roast chicken can be so good.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by jbeans
Just got back from BKK and dined at the new Gaggan. Price has doubled since the prev spot, at 12k thb (~$400) for a seat at G's spot. The experience was very fun and unique, food had some wonderful hits and some confusing misses. Overall I found that it's a try it once type of place. During the meal Gaggan told all of us "you can't come back here even if you wanted to, I'm all booked up." Interesting experience, but nothing else calls you to come back, not the food and not even the chef himself.
Do you mean Gaggan Anand which just opened since the original closed a few months ago.
Apparently 2 different restaurants and a 100k ?private table
and
"All booking requests can only be made online via the website. Apart from standard questions about allergies and food preferences, you will also have to answer a list of fairly unusual queries (what is your favourite band, cuss word, what your plans are before dinner at the restaurant), etc. A reservation team then confirms the booking. "
He seems not at all humble (well I guess he earned the right to be arrogant), and VERY expensive.

Last edited by estnet; Dec 3, 2019 at 2:41 am
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
duplicate

Last edited by estnet; Dec 3, 2019 at 2:41 am
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Do you mean Gaggan Anand which just opened since the original closed a few months ago.
Apparently 2 different restaurants and a 100k ?private table
and
"All booking requests can only be made online via the website. Apart from standard questions about allergies and food preferences, you will also have to answer a list of fairly unusual queries (what is your favourite band, cuss word, what your plans are before dinner at the restaurant), etc. A reservation team then confirms the booking. "
He seems not at all humble (well I guess he earned the right to be arrogant), and VERY expensive.
Yes Gaggan Anand the new restaurant. A private table, a chef's table/bar, and a main dining room, all in the same building though just on different floors. We dined at the chef's bar (G's spot). He stated that it's not a first come first serve reservation system, and you have to give him the "right answers" to get a spot. I suppose he can do whatever he wants it's his restaurant. All the fame has definitely got to him, that was painfully obvious when he talked about how he could've charged 10% more and we all would still be there.

TLDR: Dinner and a show -- loud rock music, lots of crass jokes, and semi-decent interesting food. I personally thought the desserts were the stand-outs of the entire meal.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jbeans
Yes Gaggan Anand the new restaurant. A private table, a chef's table/bar, and a main dining room, all in the same building though just on different floors. We dined at the chef's bar (G's spot). He stated that it's not a first come first serve reservation system, and you have to give him the "right answers" to get a spot. I suppose he can do whatever he wants it's his restaurant. All the fame has definitely got to him, that was painfully obvious when he talked about how he could've charged 10% more and we all would still be there.

TLDR: Dinner and a show -- loud rock music, lots of crass jokes, and semi-decent interesting food. I personally thought the desserts were the stand-outs of the entire meal.
Well, thanks..... Not my cup of tea. Don´t like if the tail is wagging the dog.
estnet, Bohemian1 and jbeans like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Any special reason you wanted to visit Brooklyn Fare? For set menu counter dining, I find Blanca’s food to be more interesting and tasty. Also find the use of acidity to be over-bearing in several of Brooklyn Fare’s dishes
Blanca is very good, but objectively Chef's Table is better IMO. Going for my third time (second time at the now-relocated Manhattan location) next week. For the OP - good call on skipping EMP IMO. Way overrated, especially against its erstwhile #1 "Best Restaurant in the World" ranking.

Looking forward to the start of next year, when I will finally visit Atomix (newly-minted 2*) and take the plunge to celebrate a long-overdue promotion (hope I didn't jinx it) and see if Masa is really worth lighting that much money over.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Credit care concierge aren’t that helpful especially for the really to tough to book restaurants
Great for overcoming language barriers and the inconvenience of international phone calls though. They also have gotten me around mandatory nonrefundable deposits though which I absolutely loathe.

(I guess if you're just a random person calling they don't trust you to stick to your word as much as if it's through a credit card concierge, because people who use concierges have a better track record? No clue.)
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I've been eating at EMP at least once every year since 2010. Every experience has been amazing and it's consistently in our top 5 of dining experiences. Am looking forward to Davies & Brook next week, where Humm has taken over as chef. I'm sure it will get at least one star.

Still am excited to try Chef's Table for the first time in a few weeks. When I lived in NYC I knocked off EMP, Le Bernardin, Per se, the usual suspects. The latter two, especially Per Se, didn't impress me. I'd be willing to try LB again but I'll never part money to a Thomas Keller restaurant if I can help it.

I remember the days when Jean Georges had the $29 lunch tasting menu. Superb value. Price has obviously gone up since then and, it seems, quality a fair bit downhill.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I remember the days when Jean Georges had the $29 lunch tasting menu. Superb value. Price has obviously gone up since then and, it seems, quality a fair bit downhill.
This was indeed a great deal and quality was very good
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Pretty excited for the next few weeks—
Chefs Table at Brooklyn Fare - First time going. Partner and I by tradition do EMP every year but since it’ll be our fifth time in NYC this year there’s no point.

Gramercy Tavern - we’ve done this quite a few times but it fell off the list after 2014 for no particular reason. Ate there back again in July and regretted not eating there 5 years in between. Going again in a few weeks.

Arpege - one of our close friends is joining us. He’s vegan and so I thought it would be a cool New Years gift.

next year I’m aiming to do Tickets again, as well El Cellar again. Will try Mirazur for the first time.

did Osteria Francescana, Bo Lan, and Gaggan over the summer. OF was excellent but not amazing enough for me to try to go again. Bo Lan sucked and I regretted wasting time on that place.

Looking like it'll be "Michelin month." Did Bibendum about a week ago. Headed to Davies and Brook next week which I'm sure will get a star. Doing Sushi Zo, GT and Chef's Table as mentioned above. Arpege in the new year, D&B again (assuming the first dining experience is good), and Sketch. It'll be my first time at all of these except Gramercy Tavern.

I really enjoyed Bibendum. Will probably not go there again as I'm so rarely in that part of town, but thought it was great. I've had better in London but it was a great, but not superbly excellent dining experience. Definitely worthy of the star, but not sure how many stars.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I've been eating at EMP at least once every year since 2010. Every experience has been amazing and it's consistently in our top 5 of dining experiences
Agree to disagree - very good, but not as good as it was at the start of the decade. Their 20-course tribute to NYC back then was fantastic.

Dinner @ Chef’s Table last night - amazing as always. It’s less courses / bites than it used to be, but it’s still very good. The first bite is now a mousse topped with a generous amount of caviar - just take a look at this beauty! And one of the last desserts - frozen soba tea topped with a faint dusting of sugar:

Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.