Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
There have been single diners at the bar for both of our experiences there. Sometimes a few single diners. So not out of place at all. When I have been there, we've had the entire group of diners always talking with each other anyway! (If you're remotely sociable, I'm sure you can do the same.)

I do agree that any omakase restaurant is not the best place to take a non-sushi diner. Especially for these prices!
My girlfriend isn't a sushi eater but she braved through the omakase at Musashi at Aman Tokyo for me. I told her she didn't have to go but I was thoroughly impressed at the end lol.
Cardboard55 and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by phant0m
My girlfriend isn't a sushi eater but she braved through the omakase at Musashi at Aman Tokyo for me. I told her she didn't have to go but I was thoroughly impressed at the end lol.
She's a keeper!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Not sure if relevant to this thread, but quite possibly: https://www.france24.com/en/20190924...cheese-souffle

Cheddar-gate: French chef sues Michelin Guide, claiming he lost a star for using cheddar

"Marc Veyrat, who runs the prestigious “La Maison des Bois” restaurant in Haute-Savoie in the French Alps, only discovered he had lost one of his three stars – the maximum number of stars that can be awarded, and which Veyrat had earned a year earlier – when the 110th edition of the respected guide was published at the start of this year. Veyrat claims the downgrade came after a Michelin inspector mistakenly thought he had adulterated a cheese soufflé with English Cheddar instead of using France's Reblochon, Beaufort and Tomme varieties.
"I put saffron in it, and the gentleman who came thought it was cheddar because it was yellow. That's what you call knowledge of a place? It's just crazy," Veyrat told France Inter radio. The chef learned of the downgrade “without any notification or advance warning”, according to his legal counsel, Emmanuel Ravanas, who issued a press release to French media on Monday. "
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Not sure if relevant to this thread, but quite possibly: https://www.france24.com/en/20190924...cheese-souffle

Cheddar-gate: French chef sues Michelin Guide, claiming he lost a star for using cheddar

"Marc Veyrat, who runs the prestigious “La Maison des Bois” restaurant in Haute-Savoie in the French Alps, only discovered he had lost one of his three stars – the maximum number of stars that can be awarded, and which Veyrat had earned a year earlier – when the 110th edition of the respected guide was published at the start of this year. Veyrat claims the downgrade came after a Michelin inspector mistakenly thought he had adulterated a cheese soufflé with English Cheddar instead of using France's Reblochon, Beaufort and Tomme varieties.
"I put saffron in it, and the gentleman who came thought it was cheddar because it was yellow. That's what you call knowledge of a place? It's just crazy," Veyrat told France Inter radio. The chef learned of the downgrade “without any notification or advance warning”, according to his legal counsel, Emmanuel Ravanas, who issued a press release to French media on Monday. "
I thought Michelin reviewers were supposed to be discreet and anonymous when dining at restaurants.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Sounds wired - the Michelin gives it, the Michelin takes it. Would call the claim a marketing gag.

Last edited by offerendum; Sep 26, 2019 at 7:07 am
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Michelin star are kind of a dumb rating anyways. Doesn't surprise me when stuff like this happens.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:59 am

A few respected reviewers, Including Andy Heyler, gave the restaurant fairly scathing reviews recently. Perhaps the chef should look closer to home rather than coming up with conspiracy theories.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Cinc Sentis * Barcelona

On a recent trip to Barcelona, we decided to visit the 1 Michelin-star restaurant Cinc Sentits (translated to "Five Senses"). It advertises as a "Modern Catalan" cuisine with a strong focus on local ingredients.

They offer 2 menus: short menu priced 99 euros, long menu 119 euros.

We went for the short menu, about 2 hour-long:
-tapas in the 'lounge area' with a glass of Vermouth
-bread basket (so good!)
-4 small dishes
-1 pre-dessert
-1 dessert

Beautiful presentation, each dish comes with a small display.

The dessert was spectacular, with liquid nitrogen used in front of the table to "bake" an almond meringue.

Some pics below:

Squab, corn purée, grilled lettuce, baby cucumber

Little gift to take home "hot chocolate sauce" in a tub
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Quilon London - 1 star

I did a little food-rally through London. For the first stop I decided to try Quilon, an Indian Restaurant with 1 Michelin star. It´s located at Taj51 hotel.

Our dinner started with some nibbles.

We took the seafood tasting menu which was priced with 85 GBP including service which was reasonable in my eyes.
I can´t remember all dishes so I leave you alone with the pictures.

The dinner was very good, I really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Next finally got a star. I have eaten three different menus there, would highly recommend it.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I've never had good michelin starred Indian food, except for Quillon which is excellent and Gymkhana.

Next is also excellent so I'm glad they got a star.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sophialite
I've never had good michelin starred Indian food, except for Quillon which is excellent and Gymkhana.

Next is also excellent so I'm glad they got a star.
Didn´t visit Next but Veeraswamy. Will report later.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Next finally got a star. I have eaten three different menus there, would highly recommend it.
It's always deserved at least one, although I wasn't that impressed with the current José Andrés menu (to be fair, in Next context that just means it was merely very good rather than outstanding).

While on the subject of Chicago, I've really been impressed by Temporis.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:55 pm

Figured you guys would get a kick out of this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeWantPlate...ver_been_chef/

DiverXO - 3*** in Madrid.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

London: Ledbury **

After some time since my last visit I tried Ledbury again. The restaurant is awarded with 2 Michelin stars which I didn´t understand in the past especially compared to the London 3 star options.
The restaurant is located in Notting Hill what means a relative long drive from the center.

We choosed a pescetarian tasting menu. Food was outstanding, I really loved it. For me nearer to 3 stars than 2 stars.

After the meal we visited the kitchen which is located at the Basement, got some ice cream bites and had a chat with chef Brett Graham.
I again enjoyed my visit a lot and can only recommend the Ledbury.
Fliar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.