Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Agree to disagree - very good, but not as good as it was at the start of the decade. Their 20-course tribute to NYC back then was fantastic.

Dinner @ Chef’s Table last night - amazing as always. It’s less courses / bites than it used to be, but it’s still very good. The first bite is now a mousse topped with a generous amount of caviar - just take a look at this beauty! And one of the last desserts - frozen soba tea topped with a faint dusting of sugar:

agree to agree actually. I think it has gone downhill since 2010, but this thread comes out differently on how steep that curve or slope is.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Ate at Davies and Brook this evening. I think Humm has been trying to downplay it, but it's clear that he's gunning for another world class restaurant and rating here. Filled to the brim with EMP staff on loan from NYC. And Daniel Humm is at the helm. Dining room has EMP vibes all over. Amazing atmosphere, great decor. A lot of Michelin star tasting menu establishments in London are a bit quiet and staid. This one is more laid back and fun.

The tasting menu was stellar. Some very slight service lapses that will smooth over in time, I'm sure. The famous granola appeared at the end, but no bottomless cognac this time, sadly. It's easily the best dining experience I've ever had in London (although I haven't had bubbledog or sketch yet), and candidly a dining establishment I think London needed for a long time.

This is easily a 2 star restaurant. 3 would be a stretch. I'm definitely not an expert in what Michelin will rate one restaurant vs another. My sense is that the menu doesn't have a sense of place in London. What made EMP special at its peak was that many dishes were an homage to something in New York or the US more broadly, but mostly New York, and there was a story behind every course. There's none of that here, and some dishes were also classic EMP dishes (i.e., the duck and the one with the pig intestine balloon they bring to your table).

I'll also never forget the time my partner was curious about who made a plate, only to have a server whisk a card to her out of nowhere with details on the maker and where to get it. Kind of creepy that they were listening in, but have to grin at the immense attention to detail and service. None of that here. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something I think they will work toward.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: some
2019 in review!

Best restaurant: Ultraviolet, Shanghai
Others:
Raymond Blanc at le manoir aux quat saisons UK 2*, 90
De Librije Holland 3*, 98
de Lindenhof Holland 2*, 82
Auberge Moulin du Hideux Belgium 1*, 85
du Bon Laboureur France 1*, 88 (great value lunch)
l'Ameloise France 3*, 94.5
Beaulieu France 2*, 90
Oaxen Krog Sweden 2*, 91.5
Ode Tokyo 1*, 89+
Heinz Beck Tokyo 2*, 88
Mezzaluna Bangkok 2*, 92.5
Gaa Bangkok 1*, 92
Saawaan Bangkok 1*, 90
j'Aime Bangkok 1*, 88
Ultraviolet China 3*, 100
le comptoir de Gagnaire Shanghai 1* (I think), 88
Yannick Alleno Dubai 2*, 92
honourable mention: the Pizza Bar at the Oriental Hotel in Tokyo
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fliar
Yannick Alleno Dubai 2*, 92
Is there a Michelin available in Dubai?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by offerendum
Is there a Michelin available in Dubai?
No! You're right. He has 3 (not 2) in his Paris restaurant, but Dubai doesn't have a guide (yet)!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Sad:
https://en24.news/2020/01/baiersbron...-panorama.html
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Cosme (New York) *

Since we had a quiet NYE, we decided to splurge for our first meal out of 2020.
Found a last minute table prime time at Cosme in New York, 1 Michelin star awarded for their "Modern Mexican" cuisine.
Also ranked #25 in the San Pelegrino Top Restaurants of The World in 2018 (I know, these days everybody is highly ranked in one list or another)
https://www.theworlds50best.com/previous-list/2018

I last visited that restaurant in 2015, during its first year (and different girlfriend LOL).

Prices have sharply increased but their popular dishes are still top-notch: duck carnitas for main, husk meringue with corn mousse for dessert.
How Cosme Makes Its Elaborate, Commanding Duck Carnitas

We also ordered the Guacamole (good but very filling) and the Broccoli tamal, goat ricotta, wasabi (I did not like that dish because of the texture).

Complimentary snack of blue corn tortillas

Guacamole, blue corn tortillas

Margarita

Duck carnitas

Duck carnitas on taco

Husk meringue, corn mousse
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Le Champignon Sauvage Cheltenham 1 star

This is the only Michelin starred restaurant in Cheltenham. It had 2 stars for many years but has no 1 star. The atmosphere were wired as only 4 tables were occupied, there was no Music and at one table sat a single guy with Torret Syndrome.

Under the week you can have a 3 course dinner for only 40 GBP, so a real steal. We took the regular a la carte menu which was 75 GBP.
Little threads:

BUTTER POACHED LOBSTER, JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE,
PEAR AND SORREL (£7.50 Supplement)

DIVED SCALLOPS

Skate

HALIBUT, CEP MUSHROOM CREAM, BABY PARSNIPS,
CHESTNUTS, BLACK KALE

Pre-desser

White chocolate with strawberries

Dark chocolate with pistacchio

Petit fours

Overall a good meal, I would have wished more tables were occupied.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
First Michelin meal of the year - lunch at Gramercy Tavern in the tavern room in NYC. Love this place. Great cocktails. Had a beer from their cellar (a 2013 vintage imperial black IPA from Denmark). Ate the burger for lunch.

For January - I have dinner at Atomix (2*) on Thursday night, a meal at Taco Maria (1*) in the OC in a couple weeks, and finishing off the year with my first (and last, unless it is mind-blowing) time at Masa (3*). With that, I will have hit all the 3* and 2* spots in NYC (I have not been to Ichimura's new spot at Uchu, but having been multiple times at Brushstroke, I feel like I have effectively experienced his craft already).
United747 and jbeans like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:20 am

Pls report back on Masa! That's the only 3* in NYC that I haven't been to, just not sure if the price is justifiable. Very curious to hear your review.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
First Michelin meal of the year - lunch at Gramercy Tavern in the tavern room in NYC. Love this place. Great cocktails. Had a beer from their cellar (a 2013 vintage imperial black IPA from Denmark). Ate the burger for lunch.

For January - I have dinner at Atomix (2*) on Thursday night, a meal at Taco Maria (1*) in the OC in a couple weeks, and finishing off the year with my first (and last, unless it is mind-blowing) time at Masa (3*). With that, I will have hit all the 3* and 2* spots in NYC (I have not been to Ichimura's new spot at Uchu, but having been multiple times at Brushstroke, I feel like I have effectively experienced his craft already).
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jbeans
Pls report back on Masa! That's the only 3* in NYC that I haven't been to, just not sure if the price is justifiable. Very curious to hear your review.
It was years ago that I went to Masa, but was not at all impressed. Service in particular was very poor.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: AC
Just got back from a Seoul/Osaka trip.

Unfortunately, due to the last minute nature of the trip and the time of the year (a lot of places are closed in Japan from Christmas to New Year), only booked one Michelin star meal.

Jungsik (Seoul) - 2* - Amazing Christmas dinner. I originally had 3* La Yeon booked but cancelled it and booked this instead cause I figured my wife and I would enjoy this style of cooking more than traditional Korean royal cuisine. Fantastic meal from start to finish with lots of highlights and one or two "good but not great" dishes. Canapes were some of the best I had and the seafood dishes were all fantastic, especially the lobster and the fish (one of the best cooked fish dishes I've had). Hanwoo beef was good but I much enjoyed the ones I had at Born and Bred KBBQ style the next day. Service was good but not great (partially due to communication barriers). One of my top 3 meals this year along with Takamitsu (Tokyo) and Le Coucou (NYC), and better than other 2*s I've had this year like Ko.

Other notable meals from the trip include:

Born and Bred in Seoul - great Hanwoo beef KBBQ that they cook for you. I met the owner who was featured in all the videos you see online. He was one of the few that spoke good English and took our orders and gave recommendations. We had 2 cuts of Hanwoo + a steam egg, Hanwoo sando, and the B&B pho. The Hanwoo bbq was fantastic, not oily and heavy like wagyu and great beefy taste. Steam egg was good. Hanwoo sando were delicious with great fries. B&B pho tastes surprisingly authentic. We were absolutely stuffed and for less than $250 CAD for 2 people.

Matsusushi in Osaka - not a highly regarded sushiya but one of the only that was accepting reso 2 weeks out during the Christmas season. FANTASTIC C/P. 14 pieces of nigiri and 5 Otsumami (including 2 Shirako dishes) for 15k JPY per person is a steal, and something that will be very hard to find if it was in Tokyo. I loved his shari too...perfectly al dente, seasoned with akazu.

Royal Mouriya in Kobe - not a super famous or special restaurant or anything but we wanted to have Kobe in Kobe (we basic) and StR Concierge booked it for us. Simple Teppanyaki style that came with salad, soup, rice, and veggies. Really really delicious (blew Born and Bred away) but it was a lot more expensive.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Just back from a quick stop in Tokyo. Had my first proper legit kaiseki meal at Ginza Okuda (1*, sister restaurant of a 3* from the same owner). One of those places which takes food sourcing so seriously they have a whole set of reference books to show you what you’re eating and experience so seriously that no perfume is allowed and even the toilets look like Balinese spas. The experience had the “wow” factor you expect with fine food and service, but was also super friendly, and they were well equipped to deal with English/ French speakers.

The first entirely new experience in fine dining I’ve had in years. Despite some tastes and textures being a bit odd to my western palette, I thought the whole thing was exceptional. They have a restaurant in Paris, so I might need to drop by soon.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
no perfume is allowed
That´s wired!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by offerendum
That´s wired!
It's apparently not an unknown rule in some Japanese restaurants, particularly kaiseki.
Fliar and offerendum like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.