Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Chicago guide now out. I was right about Smyth being promoted to 2 stars, but wrong about Oriole getting promoted to 3--it stayed at 2 (as did Acadia and Sixteen). Grace and Alinea kept their 3 stars. Other changes were Longman & Eagle was demoted from 1 star to Bib Gourmand, and there are two new star entries: Elske, and Entente.
I wonder if the reviewers wound up at Longman & Eagle on one of their bad nights. If it were anything like an experience we had where the four of had our drinks brought to the table over a period of 30 minutes and 2 of them were wrong, I'm surprised they kept the BG.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by milepig
I wonder if the reviewers wound up at Longman & Eagle on one of their bad nights. If it were anything like an experience we had where the four of had our drinks brought to the table over a period of 30 minutes and 2 of them were wrong, I'm surprised they kept the BG.
BG is not really an Award, it´s only about value
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
It's definitely an award. It recognizes the restaurants Michelin believes offer the best quality cooking/ingredients below a certain price ($40 for 2 courses plus a glass of wine or dessert, excluding tax and service). Think of the hundreds or thousands of restaurants in the cities Michelin reviews where you can dine for that amount but that are not recognized. Bib does mean something.
uggboy and oh_lol like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by offerendum
It's an award, usually announced before the stars are announced, it's about quality and good value = Bib Gourmand, while starred restaurants are usually judged more intense [quality, setting, presentation, atmosphere etc.] and these are more expensive, while Bib Gourmand awarded restaurants assure guests of good quality, value and accessibility.

At Pichet in Dublin, Ireland during a lunch visit we noticed that they display their Bib Gourmand award. This award is given each year to restaurants which meet the criterias of value + quality. They can get awarded or deleted by Michelin, the same as with their */**/*** star ratings.

Since 1955, the guide has also highlighted restaurants offering "exceptionally good food at moderate prices," a feature now called "Bib Gourmand". They must offer menu items priced below a maximum determined by local economic standards. Bib (Bibendum) is the company's nickname for the Michelin Man, its corporate logo for over a century.
Please see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Last edited by uggboy; Oct 25, 2017 at 10:41 am Reason: Clarity and added some details which might be of interest
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SF list is out. http://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/ar...p?t=626518203a

7 "3 Stars" for the region
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Coi getting its 3rd star after a chef change probably bodes well for Atera's chances in NYC. I am visiting SF in a few months over MLK weekend and have a number of these places I want to go to, starting with Benu and Atelier Crenn.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:37 pm

SF is outrageously inflated. Almost like HK level now. I´ve been to 3 of the 7 within the last 2 years, and none of them are 3* quality.
The last 3* I had that I feel was 3* worthy was Eleven Madison Park.
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
SF is outrageously inflated. Almost like HK level now. I´ve been to 3 of the 7 within the last 2 years, and none of them are 3* quality.
They are making menus to a style that give the M folks arousal in their tingly parts. "We" did the same thing with some of our finest grapes to do the same for Mr. Parker for way too long.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:53 pm

They are making menus to a style that give the M folks arousal in their tingly parts. "We" did the same thing with some of our finest grapes to do the same for Mr. Parker for way too long.
Unfortunately, I´m very partial to his tasting profile.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Coi getting its 3rd star after a chef change probably bodes well for Atera's chances in NYC. I am visiting SF in a few months over MLK weekend and have a number of these places I want to go to, starting with Benu and Atelier Crenn.
Exciting! I've been to SF a few times but before I started following Michelin. I look forward to your thoughts on Benu and Crenn. The latter has been angling for 3 stars for years.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:56 am

I ate at Crenn about 3 years ago (maybe things have changed). I thought the service and presentation were all on point. The food was very good, but I didn't think it was 3-star worthy; personally I thought maybe they focused a bit too much on making things look cool. Overall the restaurant kinda reminded me of Atera and Belcanto, and if both of these places are 2 stars, then Crenn surely is not a step above.

I would love to try Benu as well next time I'm in SF. I've heard very good things about it!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by jbeans
I ate at Crenn about 3 years ago (maybe things have changed). I thought the service and presentation were all on point. The food was very good, but I didn't think it was 3-star worthy; personally I thought maybe they focused a bit too much on making things look cool. Overall the restaurant kinda reminded me of Atera and Belcanto, and if both of these places are 2 stars, then Crenn surely is not a step above.

I would love to try Benu as well next time I'm in SF. I've heard very good things about it!
I also was unimpressed with the taste at Crenn a few years ago. Showmanship, creativity, sure but I only thought 1 course was exceptional and the others merely okay. No taste sensations or even memorable courses Clearly I am in a minority. It is the only starred restaurant that I have never wanted to return to.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
And I think what may be the best, certainly the most pioneering, restaurant in the Bay area never gets rated at all. Some of my other personal favorites are also completely missing.

I guess it goes to the subjective component of any type evaluation of this sort, especially when the restaurant refuses to be rated. I haven't been to 11 Madison for years but I remember when the San Pellagrino ratings came out saying that I didn't even think 11 Madison was the best restaurant in that building, much less the city. Although the other restaurant in that building closed and I'm sure 11 Madison has morphed more than once since then.

Exciting! I've been to SF a few times but before I started following Michelin. I look forward to your thoughts on Benu and Crenn. The latter has been angling for 3 stars for years.
A personal suggestion, skip the Michelin Guide for at least one night and go to Chez Panisse.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 26, 2017 at 4:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
And I think what may be the best, certainly the most pioneering, restaurant in the Bay area never gets rated at all. Some of my other personal favorites are also completely missing.

I guess it goes to the subjective component of any type evaluation of this sort, especially when the restaurant refuses to be rated. I haven't been to 11 Madison for years but I remember when the San Pellagrino ratings came out saying that I didn't even think 11 Madison was the best restaurant in that building, much less the city. Although the other restaurant in that building closed and I'm sure 11 Madison has morphed more than once since then.
Eleven Madison Park is where I was served the best meal I've ever eaten. It's also the only restaurant I know of that skyrocketed from 1 to 3 stars in just one year, which speaks to how much it has evolved over the last few years. I am curious to try the new menu since it reopened after its renovation a few weeks ago, which I likely won't be able to do until next year. I've got a full roster of restaurants over the next two months! My second favorite meal was at Epicure in Paris.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:14 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I've had three exceptional meals at Benu over three years. We usually take a restaurant run down to either LA or SF once a year. We like to try 'new' places, but each of the last three times to SF, one of the nights we've retraced our steps and gone to Benu. The most recent trip this year included L'Atelier Crenn, Quince and Benu - all tasting menus.

Quince and Benu were pretty much tied for top place in our minds for overall food and service. I might give the wine list at Quince the edge and the flavour profiles at Benu were more interesting, but both were right up there. Benu has evolved over the years but not so much that they've strayed far from their original appeal. Well worth a visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.