Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Survey: Which country has the best/worst food that you have eaten?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Survey: Which country has the best/worst food that you have eaten?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by Insiderdude
I'll do a North America one:

Best: Vancouver (BC) and New York City

Worst: Most in the Midwest and most of the South
not sure about "most" of the south being the worst... think you need to read some more reviews and make better choices when you visit cities like IAH, DFW and MSY.....
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I'm a HK Chinese myself and I agree that some of the worst Chinese food is found in China itself. With the exception of Guangzhou, Zhuhai and some in Beijing and Shanghai, most of the Chinese cuisines I've sampled in the other parts of the PRC are simply inedible for my taste.
I spent the past week or so there and I have to agree that I think Zhuhai had the best food I've had in PRChina. Most of the non-seafood items were not overly oily and were not loaded with a ton of MSG like most mainland-inspired meals. I was with some locals and they picked well ^ ^

I think a lot of it is where you go like everywhere else.

I wasn't overly impressed with Beijing food... Shanghai's a different story...
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:36 am

Best - Thailand
Worst - Russia
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Best: Australia
Worst: Czech Republic (but cheap beer helped it a lot)
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by ghia74
Worst - Australia, my favorite vacation ever. Great sites and great people more than made up for the fact that I just could not find a meal that I really enjoyed.
I haven't been to Oz yet but my foodie mom was enthusiastic about the seafood.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Best: Italy and France

Worst: Portugal. Salt cod and icky spinach soup.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by mosburger
Best: Belgium, China (including Hongkong), Denmark, Korea

Worst: Holland, Russia (restaurants bad, home cooking tasty), Wales (at least Cardiff)
Doh, how could I leave out Austria from the best list.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, American, USAir, Continental, Northwest, United, AirTran, SouthWest, Midwest
Best: Thailand.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
Originally Posted by stut
All these people who are having such terrible food in the UK, I'm intrigued.

Where and what are you eating? I'm trying to figure out whether my taste buds have been numbed, or whether I just have (apparently) excellent restaurant quality detection skills!
I'm sorry to say so, but unless you go to a foreign restaurant in the UK (Indian, Italian, etc), you can be pretty sure that the food will be, at least to this foreigner's taste, terrible. How do you detect that a British restaurant serving British food will be good ? I'm sure that there are some out there, but where ???

Best food : France, Mexico, Morrocco, Italy, Lebanon, India

Worst food : the UK, Germany, Bolivia
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meriem
I'm sorry to say so, but unless you go to a foreign restaurant in the UK (Indian, Italian, etc), you can be pretty sure that the food will be, at least to this foreigner's taste, terrible. How do you detect that a British restaurant serving British food will be good ? I'm sure that there are some out there, but where ???
I'm still intrigued as to which British restaurants serving British food you might have gone to.

Do you have any recollection at all?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Good - Australia

Not so good

India - great cuisine, poor quality ingrediants
Indonesia - great grilled fish but not much for variety - mie goreng or nasi goreng today?

there's some very good food available in GB - local cheeses, local beers, local produce. There's also some horrible stuff - like chips with mushy peas.

overrated -
Argentina. Yes the beef is really, really good. Not much else is. The Italian is one-dimensional and there isn't much else.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Funny thing about British food. Mrs. braslvr and I spent 3 weeks in the UK in 99, and traveled nearly the entire country. We ate all but one or two of our lunches and dinners in pubs. Other than being a bit bland, we enjoyed most everything. I was expecting much worse. British pub grub = ^
Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Meriem
That's the point of my question - what do you understand as being British food? Where do you go to try and find it?

I've lived in the UK for most of my 32 years and, in the last 10, it's been incredibly easy to find decent food. It's very well to say "it's terrible", but what are you eating? Where?

If it's (like many I see visiting) a £1.99 special fish and chips from a chain pub, you're better off getting a microwave meal to take home. If you're having a proper Sunday roast from a respected country pub... Then what is it you don't like?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:30 am

Absolute best - Northern Italian
Honorable mention - USA

Absolute worst - UK
Honorable mention - Balkans
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stut
That's the point of my question - what do you understand as being British food? Where do you go to try and find it?

I've lived in the UK for most of my 32 years and, in the last 10, it's been incredibly easy to find decent food. It's very well to say "it's terrible", but what are you eating? Where?

If it's (like many I see visiting) a £1.99 special fish and chips from a chain pub, you're better off getting a microwave meal to take home. If you're having a proper Sunday roast from a respected country pub... Then what is it you don't like?
Finding good food in the UK is not easy, at least not for a tourist. Most of the great places to eat (that are reasonably priced) are not in Central London where most tourists would generally assume it to be and so the opinions given maybe tainted by one too many meals at an Angus Steakhouse. The other problem is that with the weak US$ more tourists are probably taking that 2 meals for £7 offer at the pub and getting what they pay for.

Overall I find food in the UK average but if you take the time to try and find places you can get some good finds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.