Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Survey: Which country has the best/worst food that you have eaten?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Survey: Which country has the best/worst food that you have eaten?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:42 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I've had some of the great meals of my life in Saigon. However outside of HCM City, the food was just decent.

I've also had consistently great food in Turkey.

Bad: England
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Why, I'd have to say the USA - for both.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Best: Japan, Belgium, France

Worst: U.S., based on Orlando and Opryland only!
Old Jul 12, 2003, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL PM

No one has mentioned India but we had some incredible meals there!

BEST: France(especially Provence), India, Thailand

WORST: UK and Nepal
Old Jul 12, 2003, 2:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
For the England bashers: London, Manchester and Leeds have an incredible selection of excellent Indian, Chinese and Thai reataurants not to mention some nice Italian and French too. Are you referring to English food or food in England?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:28 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I'll limit my BAD response to indigenous "English" food and what the Brits' claim is "Italian" (Chef Boy-R-Dee is better). I've had excellent Indian and Chinese food in London.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As much as I love the warmth and hospitality of the nice folks in Rochester, MN, I have to say that the food is consistently terrible. Flavors range from bland to slighty-less bland. A local specialty is a beer-based cheddar cheese soup served with popcorn on the top.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drbala:
For the England bashers: London, Manchester and Leeds have an incredible selection of excellent Indian, Chinese and Thai reataurants not to mention some nice Italian and French too. Are you referring to English food or food in England?</font>
I was referring to British cuisine in general. As to ethnic foods, the best Cantonese food I have ever tasted outside of Hong Kong was in Soho, and there are excellent Indian restaurants in Hounslow.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Re: food in England - one of the best meals of my life was at Gordon Ramsey's in Chelsea, 3 Michelin stars and a lunch prix fixe that's a good deal.
Best: France/Belgium
Worst: the old Soviet Union, no contest!
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FTraveler:
and there are excellent Indian restaurants in Hounslow.</font>
There is an excellent Indian just north of the M4 near Heathrow, in West Drayton, can't remember its name though.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:04 am

Best: Lyon, France
Honorable Mention: Parma, Italy

Honorable Mention for worst: London
Absolute Worst: Norway
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
There is an excellent Indian just north of the M4 near Heathrow, in West Drayton, can't remember its name though. </font>
For London restaurants, there's a great Indian place in Paddington - Indus Delta, 135 Praed Street... For Lebanese snacks, try Edgware (sic) road, Fatoush Juice Ltd., 183 Edgware Road... And for Persian white-tablecloth dining, try Minqala Restaurant, 9 Seymour Place. (I'm so glad I've been collecting matchbooks/calling cards all these years... )
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:21 am

I think you can get great food just about anywhere in the world with either money or local knowledge or both. However, if the measure is being able to randomly pick a place and eat then:

Best: Kuala Lumpur and Chinatown/Little Italy in NYC are hard to beat.

Worst: with the exception of Indian food, England. I've had some really good meals in London but it costs quite a bit.

With some local knowldege: Cairo, Houston, Chicago, Washington, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, Madrid, Barcelona, Monte Carlo and Paris are all top notch food destinations where a little money will go a long way.

Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:54 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I think it is hard to say any country has good and bad food.

I have had terriable food in Malaysia at great expense but also some great food at little expense.

I have had some very nice meals in France and also some of the worst food ever.

In the UK we have some fantastic resteraunts and some of the worst. Normaly the worst are in the tourist hotspots and charge a fortune for crap food. In London anything around Leciester sqaure is pretty rough. Some of China town is good and some crap. One of my All time favourite resteraunts is tucked away 2 minutes walk behind the London Park Lane Hilton in shepards market. It is a small Frecnh place but it is expensive.

I have had some great food in the US and a lot of OK food. For me I find a lot of Amercian cooking to be to sweet or salty.

Of course all of this is my opinion which I am sure will not be the same as yours.

[]The best food ever, has to be any kebab, hero, burger that you are eating while walking blind drunk looking for your hotel at 2am[/b]
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
In my limited travels...

Best food overall would be in the USA
Worst food would be in Ireland, it's getting slightly better (I had a nice meal at the Tea Room in the Clarence, and a decent one at a pan-Asian place by Smithfield) but still beats England out in the worst category.

I've had some pretty good meals in Canada actually, and France and Mexico are in the middle.

[This message has been edited by MelP (edited 07-13-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.