Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Survey: Which country has the best/worst food that you have eaten?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Survey: Which country has the best/worst food that you have eaten?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by richard
Best --- France

Worst -- London, England
Anyone who can say this doesn't know what they are talking about.

You can get food from just about any cuisine you could care to think of in London these days, from first rate Indian food to excellent Turkish food to great fish and chips to upscale posh french-style restaurants to superb pizza to a brilliant english breakfast in a speasy groon.

In fact for sheer variety, and all roundedness, London has the beatings of most places.

My nominations:

Best - China
Worst - China

Really runs the full gamut from brilliant to awful depending on where you go and what you eat.

The best - superb noodles, even at the cheapest end. Lovely food barbecued in the street. Sizzling hot pot. Succulent tender beef sizzling on a plate with peppers. Gong bao jiding. Fried dumplings. I could go on and on.

The worst - soggy vegetables cooked in a ton of oil and served with 8 spoons of salt and 8 spoons of MSG. Bony fish that takes 3 hours to eat cos of the fiddliness. etc.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Craig6z
I'll limit my BAD response to indigenous "English" food and what the Brits' claim is "Italian" (Chef Boy-R-Dee is better). I've had excellent Indian and Chinese food in London.
1. An English breakfast is arguably the finest breakfast you can have. It certainly kicks the living daylights out of the French pansy idea of 'breakfast'. .

2. London has some excellent Italian restaurants.

3. The Indian and Chinese food in London count as being amongst hte food in London just as much as anything else. If you liked the food in those places, you can't really argue that food in London is 'bad' per se. After all, much of the Indian food as served in the UK, was invented IN the UK. If Americans (and I've heard them attempt to argue it) were to take out all non-indiginous cooking, you'd be left with the cuisine of the Native Americans, which I'd wager couldn't stand comparison with a full English breakfast or a roast dinner.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I have had absolutely superb meals in London (Pied-a-Terre, Oricherry, a bunch of Indian restaurants to support the earlier posters), Paris, Northern Italy (hard to miss, except in Venice), Rome, New York (lots of places), San Francisco (gary danko's), Lima, Hong Kong (Spring Deer, I thnk), Brussels (a foie gras restaurant). It is hard to say one is the best, though France would be at the top.

I often get bad meals when I am traveling between the east and west coasts of the US. Lots of high-fat, low quality places. The last time I was in Omaha was a while ago, but my advice is to order the filet mignon and skip the Italian and Chinese restaurants. My wife loves Ireland and finds the food almost inedible. She goes for a month at a time and loses weight (an unintended benefit of the trip). Food in Nicaragua was not great, except for one decent steak restaurant in Managua. Ihave had some terrible dishes in Hong Kong (delicacies that I was not prepared for: a very slimy jellyfish recipe that was unlike the crunchy and sort of interesting jellyfish dish I'd had before and a cold pigeon in rice wine sauce) and years earlier in China (unidentified meat and vegetables in oily sauce). I didn't love the food in Indonesia or Malaysia, but it wasn't terrible. But, you can find bad food wherever you go (although it is harder in N. Italy and Paris).
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Best: Thailand - By Far, no contest. Second place: Mexico.

Worst: Tie - Korea and Hong Kong.

Korea would move up many notches if they would use some salt in their food, and cut down on the sugar. I don't know that there is much hope for HK. Singapore is the place for Chinese food.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Best :-

France or Italy or Spain. Trick with Italy & Spain I have found is to go to restaurants with locals (i.e. not geared for tourists or ex-pats) and the quality can be excellent

Worst :-

Estonia.

Now there are some truly excellent restaurants in Tallinn (Gloria, Bocca, Pegasus for example) but none of them serve Estonian food.

Estonian food generally consists of pig (cooked a variety of ways) and boiled potato's and vegetables, smothered in a rather sour and (to my taste anyway) unpleasant cream. Basically like a sour yoghurt. The locals absolutely love it and pour it on everything. I lived there for 3 years and could never understand how people could enjoy such stuff.

Still, I am English, so I guess from the previous posts I should not brag too much about my own countries efforts at cuisine
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:26 am

Best: too many places to mention, especially when it is partaken in a person's home
Worst: USSR
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Best: Thailand
Honourable Mention: Lunch at a little pub in Mowsley, England (Leicestershire) and yes, it was incredible! The village has less than 200 people but the food was fab. Maybe the fact that my family owned the pub 400 years ago (before emigrating to the then US colonies) helped

Worst: Spain. Only one meal from 1987 which still gives me nightmares (in general I adore Spanish food.) The meal was literally chunks of pig fat with the skin and bristles still on it served in some kind of greenish gelatinous sauce. Ugh, getting sick even thinking about it
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Wow, 1st World England and the 3rd World former USSR are taking it on the chin here.

I've found food in the Stans to be quite tasty, but in Russia it is generally dreadful.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
The Best Food

My vote:

Best - USA.... If you haven't gotten down to Louisiana and had some wonderful cajun food, then you haven't lived. This time of year the crawfish are just right. Gumbo is hard to beat if the roux is good and dark.... We have got wonderful sausages (Boudin and Andouille). Round it out with an etoufee and you have got yourself a great meal...

Worst - UK.....
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:36 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
All these people who are having such terrible food in the UK, I'm intrigued.

Where and what are you eating? I'm trying to figure out whether my taste buds have been numbed, or whether I just have (apparently) excellent restaurant quality detection skills!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by stut
All these people who are having such terrible food in the UK, I'm intrigued.

Where and what are you eating? I'm trying to figure out whether my taste buds have been numbed, or whether I just have (apparently) excellent restaurant quality detection skills!
got to be the restaurant detection skills. Some people have it, some don't.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 2P
As a budget traveler, best I would say Brazil, very easy to find excellent meals anywhere in the country. If you can get good french fries in a non fastfood place, that's always a good sign!

Worst: northern Ethiopia
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: MP Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat Elite-RA
Best

Argentina
France
Peru
USA

Worst

England
Nicaragua
Mexico
Qatar
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Best: Malaysia, Japan, Ukraine, Argentina (steak!), Syria
Worst: Belarus, UK
Honourable mention for worst: Bahamas, I dont mean resort food, I lived 2 years there and ate locally, they deep fry EVERYTHING!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Best: China, Italy, France ^

Worst: Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.