Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Survey: Which country has the best/worst food that you have eaten?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Survey: Which country has the best/worst food that you have eaten?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best: Spain, Thailand

Worst: China...especially in the state run restaurants!
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K 2.9MM HH Diamond, BonVoy GLD Life
Sorry i misspelled "focuses."

I wanted to add a close second in the Worst column:

Paraguay
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:53 pm

I've never been out of the U.S. so I would have to say U.S. has the best food; however, the person who said Tennessee is the worst - I'm not sure where they ate, but it has been really hard for me to find bad food in Tennessee. They just haven't eaten at my sister's house!! I've eaten many other places in Tennessee though. Don't ever recall anything I didn't like. I guess I just like good old country home cooking! I don't like green beans that are half cooked, I like sweet tea, I like cornbread, sweet corn, fried okra, fried fish and hushpuppies, banana pudding, sweet potatoe casserole, cole slaw - Hmmmmmmm - I could go on......
Old Jul 11, 2003, 1:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bestnana2:
I don't like green beans that are half cooked.....</font>
I was in Nashville a few years ago for a conference. At the banquet I was surpised at the quality of the meal. Nice chicken breast with an artichoke and mushroom sauce. I was thinking, "Wow, they didn't over cook the carrots." Then the woman next to me said, "I wish they'd make up their mind whether they're going to cook the carrots or not!"

Best Food: Italy or USA

Worst: Prague (pre-fall of Communisim) Boiled meat, boiled potatoes, boiled rice

Honorable mention for worst: Egypt
Whenever I question something I was told, "That's the way we serve it in this part of Egypt."

"Oh, you serve fish half frozen in Luxor? I didn't know that."
Old Jul 11, 2003, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Best - Italy (Tuscony) and Brazil.

Worst - Middle America, except for the beef.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Best -- USA
Worst -- Tough.. I've only been to two (Mexico and the Bahamas) If you let me count Fanning Island of the Republic of Kiribati, then I suppose that is the "worst". Just a BBQ/cook-out. Nothing fancy. But it was just fine.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Worst: The Soviet Union, BY FAR. I recall eating at "upscale" restaurants and a "5-star" Leningrad hotel, trying to figure out what the food was. At one point, a waiter got rather angry that we couldn't figure out for ourselves that the beverage we were consuming was actually orange juice! At the hotel, the waiters put out the breakfast rolls as we were departing from dinner. Haven't yet been back to try the post-Communist fare.

Best: Vietnam. (Cheapest too.)

So you see, Communism doesn't HAVE to produce bad food.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 6:07 pm

(I know these aren't "countries," but...)

Best:
1. New York City!
Anything you could possibly crave at any hour of the day.

2. Québec
A Portuguese and French heritage of the Québecois--ooh la la!

Worst:
1. Dublin
Ick. I even tried to bail and go to an Italian restaurant. Even the Italian food was bad. At least the beer and whiskey are excellent.

2. Helsinki
Despite fresh fish, the Russian influence is a bit obvious in terms of food and service. But Lapin Kulta, the most popular beer, is pretty good.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 6:35 pm

On the whole I think the US has the worst food I have experienced, though I had this chocolate dessert at the Capital Hilton in DC recently that was likely the best thing I have ever tasted
Old Jul 12, 2003, 6:42 am

Best: Vietnam
Honorable mention: Thailand, Mexico

Worst: Ireland
Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:02 am

I third Vietnam as the best food! Mmmm - spring rolls and pho. And so cheap!

Don't really have a worst, as I always manage to find something good :-)
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:50 am

Best: New York City. I'm biased because I live here but I agree with previous poster about being able to get anything plus whatever you get is generally well above average.

worst: Israel. I had the experience of not knowing what I was eating here which is fine if the food is good but that wasn't the case.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:27 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
Favorite:

US
Thailand
Singapore
France

Least Favorite:

England (traditional English food is a bit bland for my taste but Tabasco helps a lot)

Germany (Sausage and fried foods do not agree with me and I am not very fond of saurekraut although the dinner next week in DUS doesn't have a lot of these items so maybe I might change my mind)

Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Best:

France, specifically Provence/the Midi
I had great meals in Venezuela (Caracas) and Morocco (Fez)

Worst:

Poland. Ick. (but now, this was 1992)

I like heavy food in cold weather, so love Fish and Chips, Scones with Clotted Cream, Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, Boulette and all those German breads and hams and cheeses, so I do think people are being unfair with England and Germany.

As to the US, San Francisco is the best restaurant city - you simply can't get a bad meal there.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Best: - Thailand , eating off the street (not literally) in Bangkok for the experience and the Phuket local restaurants

Worst - McDonalds, Tothill services&lt; Newbury. Avoid like the plague!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.