Search

Looking for suggestions on products and uses for various ground meats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Looking for suggestions on products and uses for various ground meats

I have been buying a seasoned (bruschetta) ground chicken the last couple of months. Until tonight it had only been used in meat sauce for pasta or served in taco shells. Tonight I tried to make hamburgers with it. No way. It was so sticky out of the wrapper. I added bread crumbs and it didn’t make much difference. I ended up spraying oil on aluminum foil and cooking a single one pound burger and cutting it in quarters.

I occasionally buy ground turkey, pork, lamb and sausage. Mostly I make meatballs and patties.

looking for suggestions on products and uses.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ground chicken seems to be part of a Turkish savory-sweet pastry.

or they can be used for any ethnic dumplings.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
What's the seasoning? I'd think that might limit it's use?

I've actually been successful using it for burgers - season and top with Asian flavors. I get a little water on my hands, form the patty and then put it in the refrigerator for at least 30 mins before plopping on the grill or pan. As gaobest said, they also make great dumplings. Mix with veggies and spices and wrap in some wonton sheets and bake. Also, look up recipes for white chicken chili, which uses ground chicken.

As for the other meats, ground pork can be used in much the same way as the chicken. Same for turkey, although we use it a lot in red pasta sauces too. Ground lamb makes great burgers, or shepherd's pie. For lamb burgers, look for a Mediterranean recipe -- think cumin, feta, red onion, etc. My wife doesn't like lamb, so a homemade lamb burger is a rare treat for me.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Ground beef for cottage pie and pork for dumplings. The best for meatballs, at least for me, is beef/pork half and half. Can't think of many other uses for ground meat
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Ground lamb for moussaka and for shepherds pie - better than cottage pie imho.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I use half ground pork and half beef in my usual ragù for pasta. I also make a pork, fennel and aubergine gratin, which is sort of halfway between a lasagne and melanzane Parmigiana.

Ground Lamb for Moroccan / North African meatballs with couscous or bulgar wheat, usually cooked tagine style.

I don’t really cook with ground chicken or turkey, but I can see them taking Thai or Vietnamese flavours very well. Perhaps small chicken balls poached in a coconut broth?

Ground Venison can be used in the place of beef, it makes a lovely rich ragù. As can ground veal, although I tend to treat that more like pork.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I make kind of a stoup (combo stew & soup) with ground turkey, can of diced tomatoes, cannelini beans and chopped kale...healthy and hearty.
Meatloaf, chili, kabobs, lasagna, stuffed stuff (peppers, squash, etc), tacos, burritos, hamberder helper .....
I have never heard of seasoned ground chicken and especially not brushcetta. To me, brushcetta is a chopped tomato topping for crostini.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Depending on what we have in the house, I'll use beef and pork in lasagna, meat sauces, etc. I use beef and lamb or veal for meatloaf and stuffed cabbage.

I use ground chicken and/or turkey for tacos and occasionally for lasagna or meat sauces.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:42 am

IKEAs Swedish Meatball recipe is published. Uses ground beef and pork.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kofta is always delicious (middle eastern ground meat)
JBord likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by corky
I make kind of a stoup (combo stew & soup) with ground turkey, can of diced tomatoes, cannelini beans and chopped kale...healthy and hearty.
Meatloaf, chili, kabobs, lasagna, stuffed stuff (peppers, squash, etc), tacos, burritos, hamberder helper .....
I have never heard of seasoned ground chicken and especially not brushcetta. To me, brushcetta is a chopped tomato topping for crostini.
Seasoned with sun dried tomato, basil and garlic. Mighty Spark is the brand.

i think the other flavor, sweet Thai would be fun for dumplings.

i make a stoup similar to yours but I hate kale so use cabbage.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:40 am
Community Director Emerita

Ground lamb for Balkan meat pie. Love it.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Seasoned with sun dried tomato, basil and garlic.
IMO, this kind of limits the use to Italian dishes. I could maybe see Mexican or southeast Asian as long as you added some other spices. The sun dried tomato is really throwing me off though, because of the sweetness.
boxo likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This meatloaf recipe from 72 Market Street in Venice, Ca has been my go-to-meatloaf recipe for so many years. You can modify some of the ingredients. Also, I never make the gravy. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...048-story.html
I leave out the green onion and green pepper. Also substitute plain yogurt for cream.

Last edited by obscure2k; Apr 29, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
This meatloaf recipe from 72 Market Street in Venice, Ca has been my go-to-meatloaf recipe for so many years. You can modify some of the ingredients. Also, I never make the gravy. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...048-story.html
I leave out the green onion and green pepper. Also substitute plain yogurt for cream.
I remember that one! And that place. I too would leave out those vile green peppers.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.