Wiki Posts
Search

Honey on a pizza

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by corky
Actually I was suggesting you make Chicago pizza (Lou Malnati) since you seem to like that one so much. But if you do decide to make Detroit style that brownie pan might work but I wonder if the squares are too small.
i made it in our 8x8” pan - very tasty with just dough, cheese, and sauce. Definitely want an encore.

corky and boxo like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Somewhat different to the original theme, an Italian pizza bianca with potatoes, prosciutto crudo, figs and some honey drizzled on top is amazing. Sort of a light version of an Alsatian Flammekueche (and much nicer).
corky likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gorgeous Bianca pizza. So ace.
I’m going to try and make Detroit style pizza again tonight. I have to be careful with timing and I’ll see if my spouse wants one Bianca style.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
We have a local place that has a pizza called Some Like It Hot. Soppressata, bacon marmalade, mozz, basil, and a choice of regular honey or habanero honey. Sweet and salty and savory all at the same time. So good.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by wrp96
We have a local place that has a pizza called Some Like It Hot. Soppressata, bacon marmalade, mozz, basil, and a choice of regular honey or habanero honey. Sweet and salty and savory all at the same time. So good.
That sounds amazing!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Gorgeous Bianca pizza. So ace.
I’m going to try and make Detroit style pizza again tonight. I have to be careful with timing and I’ll see if my spouse wants one Bianca style.
Have you tried making Lou Malnati's yet? You have mentioned a few times that you have considered ordering it online.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you tried making Lou Malnati's yet? You have mentioned a few times that you have considered ordering it online.

We ordered some Lou Malnati's and ate it while we watched Hamilton on 7/3. Not quite the same as eating it in the restaurant, but it came out pretty good. Definitely recommend ordering if you like chicago pizza.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We ordered some Lou Malnati's and ate it while we watched Hamilton on 7/3. Not quite the same as eating it in the restaurant, but it came out pretty good. Definitely recommend ordering if you like chicago pizza.
Gaobest has had it a few times I assume . Since he likes to make pizza i was wondering if he would try to duplicate it.
i have had the frozen & shipped one...very good.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ve only had it fresh in restaurants. Always thought it was pretty good. I’m a bit dubious on the frozen ones. Interesting that you like it. Always good to have a first hand report.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by zack14
The only sauce that should be on a pizza is tomato sauce
You are assuming Honey is a sauce, and not a 70s or 80s adult film actress

But less seriously, honey and cheese go well together. But somehow when it is on a round large warm crust instead of a small room temperature cracker, it is icky? (Same with those who will eat a pineapple / sweet glazed ham and it is ok in a sandwich, between two slices of bread, but if you put it on a round warm crust and call it Hawaiian Pizza, somehow the sky has fallen.)
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’ve only had it fresh in restaurants. Always thought it was pretty good. I’m a bit dubious on the frozen ones. Interesting that you like it. Always good to have a first hand report.
It comes in a fairly heavy duty disposable pan. You take it out of the pan, dry out any moisture in the pan, and then oil the pan before putting the pizza back in. Then you bake it. It gets the crust really crispy like if you were at the restaurant. When you can't get to Chicago, the frozen ones work to satisfy cravings. I have 2 left in my freezer.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Liked it...didn't love it. But I am more of a NYC pizza girl or Detroit.
They do a good job of freezing it and comes with good reheating instructions.
For my birthday someone gave me frozen Brooklyn Brick oven pizza slices...the come packed in dry ice and each slice is individually shrink wrapped & I heat it on the grill. I think I am down to 3 or 4 slices still in the freezer.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not yet and I could use my italian tart pan which I use for making quiche.

I love Lou’s in Chicagoland and have only had it carryout - never at the actual restaurant. Sad.

Gaobest has had it a few times I assume . Since he likes to make pizza i was wondering if he would try to duplicate it.
I’ve been tempted to get it via Goldbelly but never did.

I did get it carryout in Chicagoland for both pizzas, pasta, and salads. Yummy. It’s really great.

but probably last had it in 2018! For my 2019/2020 visits, I had different carryouts!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
not yet and I could use my italian tart pan which I use for making quiche.

I’ve been tempted to get it via Goldbelly but never did.

!
When I saw it being made (version of it) they used a springform pan. Your tart pan must be deep. Go for it!
SirFlysALot likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It comes in a fairly heavy duty disposable pan. You take it out of the pan, dry out any moisture in the pan, and then oil the pan before putting the pizza back in. Then you bake it. It gets the crust really crispy like if you were at the restaurant. When you can't get to Chicago, the frozen ones work to satisfy cravings. I have 2 left in my freezer.
I can often get to Phoenix or Scottsdale, the closest two Lou’s locations. No need for frozen, or schlepping to Chicago, me thinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.